General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need suggestion on rain tarp for camping

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default need suggestion on rain tarp for camping

i have been looking around and can't seem to find a good setup that i can use as a rain tarp while i am camping that would work in all situations.

picture this. on a trip. camping. stopping for the nite. sky looks like it is definitely going to rain. yep, starts raining. the first thing i might want to set up is some protection from rain. someplace where i can unload the bike and have stuff not get wet before i get the tent up. also allows me some place to be and not get wet instead of only in the tent. so some kind of tarp. no problem. but there are no trees around so what can i use to form some kind of cover.

i have thought of using my trekking poles, i have some that are pretty collapsable. that and some rope and stakes and i am thinking it would work pretty well.

overall thats pretty good, but i am wondering if anybody has used anything that they really like. the trekking pole idea has two issues. one - then i can't use the trekking poles for trekking, and two - i wish the poles would go up higher.

i have looked around and can't seem to find good lite collapsible poles that really get small enough and won't take up a lot of room.

what do you do if you are camping and its raining and there really is no cover other than your tent.

thanks in advance

Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM
6speed51
Road Captain
Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I use a ten by twelve canvas with grommets along the edge.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 PM
smokehiker
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's one suggestion. Lightweight & the packed dimensions are good for MC camping.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28028

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...97?cm_vc=PDPZ1

Here is a review on another....

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...l#.USaXWDf4N7s

Google 'lightweight backpacking tarps' and you can see what's out there. The adjustable poles are a good way to go.
Quality backpacking gear is a good way to go for MC use.

Last edited by smokehiker; 02-21-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

check out a good 'ole GI poncho. Not 10x12 but sounds like it might fit your requirements. Cheap, light weight, multi functional and packs well.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Squirrel67
Cruiser

All ya really need is a cheapo 12x12 tarp with grommets, a old hunting type of wool sock with some gutter spikes in it. Whaccha do is fold it up inta yur desired size toss tha sock fulla gutter spikes in tha middle roll it up and keep that tied to yur 4'' tall sissy bar and when tha rain starts a'fallin stretch that puppy over ur bike and spike it out with tha gutter nails. ( tha taller ur ape hangers and sissy bar tha better!!!!).

Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM
2fast4trouble
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fdb2007
check out a good 'ole GI poncho. Not 10x12 but sounds like it might fit your requirements. Cheap, light weight, multi functional and packs well.
Great advise. I have been using the issue poncho for years in the field and it works. Regular poncho gets stiff and brittle in cold weather. The GI poncho doesn't do that. Plus, you can wear it if you have to.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I use a 16x16 Noah's Tarp, by Kelty. There's a 9x9, 12x12, and 16x16, iirc. It's light weight and rolls into a small-ish stuff sack. It's not as dense as the generic blue tarps, so it lets a little light/sun through, but it's great with rain. Also, I have the collapsible poles from Campmor.com, mentioned above. After collapsing them, they aren't much wider than my tent pole bag or sleeping pads. Well worth the space for some shade and rain cover. I take two poles when I'm on the bike. They're faster and easier than the nesting style. I have a pair of the 8' nesting poles (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___26604), too, but the Adjustable Noah's Pole works great. Pricey, but darn convenient. And before you snicker too much, the better half goes with me, so the more convenient it is for me to make her comfortable, the faster we can get back to riding.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM
kingfisch
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a couple lengths of 3/4" Schedule 40 DWV PVC at Lowes or Depot or wherever. Cut the lengths to a manageable length, add some couplings & you have instant poles. This worked for me some years ago. I'd suggest fastening couplings to the ends of some of the short lengths with either screws or PVC cement. This way the couplings will be there when you need them. This method takes up a bit of space but they are light weight & pretty strong. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Xube
Road Warrior

Backpacking in New Mexico mountains one summer. Cloudburst starts. Pulled out a shelter half over me and the backpack. Then found a couple sticks and made tentpoles, no more than 18" but plenty. Rain stopped in 1/2 hr, I and gear dry, and had a dry spot to pitch my tent. Learned a lot from having to carry my whole house on my back: tough, light and small. And stay dry at all costs. Look up The
Complete Backpacker by Colin Fletcher for thorough lists, and remember: you can be very comfortable and well fed on 40#.

Last edited by Xube; 02-21-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Xube
Road Warrior

Sorry- forgot an easier solution. Look up Oregon Bedrolls. Cowboy type bedrolls, waterproof, if it rains on you, you flip the top cover over your head and go back to sleep. A wool blanket and sheet sack inside for summer, a sleeping bag for winter. Very cool, I have two 'cuz it looks great on a steel horse. Wahoo!