General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun roads in LA

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:47 PM
IU_Booger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun roads in LA

Woo Hoo fun day in the sun..

Well for 2 days in a row I’ve found some pretty twisty roads.

Today was an adventure in searching out a road.. finding it.. losing it and finding it again.

One turn was pretty scary the rest were just fun.. Hwy 518 in Louisiana and Hwy 2.

Hwy 2 was closed and rerouted that is how I lost it. I love a detour with no signs.. When I finally found 518 it started on a “S” turn that didn’t stop for about 30 miles. Good banks on most of them, some were pretty flat which meant laying it down pretty low but never touched the floor boards and I was trying.. One I’m sure I could have drug, but I was running around 65 or 70 and it came on me too fast.. a 90 degree and lots of tire marks on the road.. where you could see a lot of people had locked it down.. I came up pretty quick..and my heart rate did also..I got “fixated” on the road instead of the turn.. the ole “don’t look down” never crossed the line.. no traffic but still got my attention. The posted speed was 30 I thought they were kidding <grin>..

Met a bunch of riders today that was cool.. mainly at gas stations.. not on the back roads though. Bumped in to a guy on a NT coming from Meridian and a local guy. When I told him where I’d been today he looked at me like was crazy and said “ we don’t go that far”.. ? Next subject.. I met a family that was cool. A father and 4 sons.. all riding 1200’s. seating on the side of the road in a small town so I just stopped to shoot the bull.

I’ll revisit that road again.. today was the first time down it and I want to practice on a couple of the turns.. Especially that the 90 degree with no bank to it..

I did find out there is a Mini Sturgis in Mississippi next weekend so I’ve got that on the books for Saturday, should be a good ride, up the Natchez Trace to Sturgis MS.. not the real deal but.. it should be fun. I’ll take my wife and spend the night somewhere. Not to far down the road about 260. We’ll leave out early Saturday and spend the day then drive back to Jackson and spend the night at a riverboat (gambling!!!!)

I’ll be glad when I can find a running mate.. I love riding I just haven’t found anyone yet that loves to just find some roads.. no place in mind.. My old running mate in NC was cool.. I never had to ask.. it was on… we just didn’t know how many were coming.. Sometimes 2 sometimes 10.. but always a ride.
So Booger is dirty and getting some rest.. and she’ll wait till the morning to shower up. Its been around 800 miles on the fresh oil I checked it today after it warmed up and not a drop missing.. and looked as clean as when I poured it in.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:00 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts
Default RE: Fun roads in LA

Sounds like a day, it do! Got a kick outta hearing about the other end of LA 2. I ride LA 2, then LA 1, then LA 538 to work every day. And what is it with LA and detours? They were fixing a bridge on my end of Hwy 2 and detoured up Hwy 1 and then onto some other road. When that road dead ended at another road running at right angles right on the LA-TX line, that was it - no more signs. I went left and ended up on a little dirt/mud road in the rain, dropping into a couple bayous, having to stop & back up for a school bus 'cause the road was a one laner. Oh well, that's just another li'l adventure.

Have fun at Little Sturgis, and definitely enjoy the ride up the Trace.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:40 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a pretty nice day, Booger (still love saying that).

Anyway, my day ended up with alternating crosswinds on I-8...kind of made for an interesting ride home...no twisties like you described on I-8!

Mac

Old 08-15-2005, 12:05 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Booger, I'm with you. I'll take a road just cause it looks like it might lead to another road. The only thing that limits me sometimes is how much gas I have and if I feel like I'll hit another station in time. All of my favorite rides end up great because I have no destination in mind.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:07 PM
IU_Booger
Tourer

Come on down.

I looked at that map.. you're not to far away Poco.. if you want.. maybe we can hook up and do some riding on LA 2 and show you the LA 518.. an see how you like that 90 degree one.

Just say when... I'm game.. (well this weekend.) come on over to Mini Sturgis..

Mac, I did come back partially on Interstate..phew that wears me out.. I forgot to mention..while coming back.. my saddle bags openned.. and a nice cage pointed to me.. I looked back....and blowing in the wind was my stuff..

I have no idea what blew out.. but you can bet when I need it.. it will be on the interstate somewhere.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:27 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've accidentally left my bags open a couple of times. It's embarrassing. Unfortunately, I've never had anyone point it out to me so who knows how long I go. I make it a point to tell anyone who's in the same predicament.

ORIGINAL: IU_Booger

Come on down.

I looked at that map.. you're not to far away Poco.. if you want.. maybe we can hook up and do some riding on LA 2 and show you the LA 518.. an see how you like that 90 degree one.

Mac, I did come back partially on Interstate..phew that wears me out.. I forgot to mention..while coming back.. my saddle bags openned.. and a nice cage pointed to me.. I looked back....and blowing in the wind was my stuff..

I have no idea what blew out.. but you can bet when I need it.. it will be on the interstate somewhere.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:49 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts

ORIGINAL: IU_Booger

Come on down.

Can't this weekend; headin' up into OK to hand off the mascot to Big Ted. Would be nice as I've never ridden over that way. Between the new skid lid law and the roads ... Most LA roads over this way are pretty lousy - rougher than a cob, and filled with idiots who think nothing of riding your tail or passing on the double yellow. I get excited by some fool at least 2 or 3 times a week, and that's just on the 13 miles from the TX line to work!

Aren't you gonna be moving sometime soon? If so, about when? Would like to hook up before then. S'posed to be a bike rally in Shreveport on Labor Day weekend.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:57 PM
IU_Booger
Tourer

I was supposed to move to Florida. The position I was going to take did not come open at the end of August.. the guy that was on the bubble pulled through.. so good for him.
I felt a little bad that in order for us to move there, a guy had to fail. Sales are tough sometimes.. so I was disappointed and at the same time happy for him. They are talking September or October.

Friday was a strange day, my position in Florida was delayed then a guy that wanted me to join his company called a few hours later.. wanting me to go independent with him.

The whole reason for moving to Florida is for my stepdaughter so I can move us closer to her dad. I think its important they are closer together and it also means my daughter “booger” gets to grow up with her sister without having to miss her every summer when she visits her dad.

So… Friday a guy that wanted me to go independent called and sweetened the pot..
High risk, high reward. So I’m going to take a dive at being self employed. That means staying in LA for a bit longer while I develop my territory.
If I can get it rolling then I can start it up in Florida and open up MS and AL as well. Unlimited possibilities, it just takes work.

If you see me disappear from here.. I went under and can't make the Internet payments <grin>. Or see a pretty yellow glide up for sale. I hope that doesn’t happen <grin>. If you see me loading up on the bike stuff.. pipes.. and all things I want.. Well I made it. I’ll know in the first 90 days.

The good news.. Shreveport.. I’ll see ya there.. !

Old 08-16-2005, 02:18 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Booger (Still love to type that)

Good luck with your business, I hope all comes out for the best for both your extended family and your personal aspirations.

Mac