General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013 | 03:53 PM
Lightyear68
|
Tourer
Default To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?

Background on me--I've ridden 2 wheels since I was 10 years old starting with a Rupp Industries minibike, countless dirtbikes and streetbikes, all the way to my present Harley Fat Boy (I'm 44 years old). I have also taken multple rider courses and have read and understand the physics of Ride Like A Pro, Total Control, Maximum Control, and Proficient Motorcycling.

Regarding Softails and Touring Bikes (not canyon carving Dynas and Sportys):

One group on this forum writes that leaning hard into turns to the point of scraping is a rite of passage and a sign that one knows how to ride well.

Another group writes that scraping is a sign that you're going too fast, have reached the bike's lean limits, and about to wash out.

I'm still undecided, but will keep an open mind as folks way in.

Do you scrapers have to exceed the speed limit to get the lean needed to scrape?

I ride the speed limit and don't come close to having the speed to scrape.

Have you ever ridden the speed limit and scraped on a curve?

Is this an entry and exit ramp thing? A circle roundabout thing? A trackday thing?

Am I a responsible rider or have I just gotten too conservative in my old age?

Old 02-18-2013 | 03:58 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lightyear68
Background on me--I've ridden 2 wheels since I was 10 years old starting with a Rupp Industries minibike, countless dirtbikes and streetbikes, all the way to my present Harley Fat Boy (I'm 44 years old). I have also taken multple rider courses and have read and understand the physics of Ride Like A Pro, Total Control, Maximum Control, and Proficient Motorcycling.

Regarding Softails and Touring Bikes (not canyon carving Dynas and Sportys):

One group on this forum writes that leaning hard into turns to the point of scraping is a rite of passage and a sign that one knows how to ride well.

Another group writes that scraping is a sign that you're going too fast, have reached the bike's lean limits, and about to wash out.

I'm still undecided, but will keep an open mind as folks way in.

Do you scrapers have to exceed the speed limit to get the lean needed to scrape?

I ride the speed limit and don't come close to having the speed to scrape.

Have you ever ridden the speed limit and scraped on a curve?

Is this an entry and exit ramp thing? A circle roundabout thing? A trackday thing?

Am I a responsible rider or have I just gotten too conservative in my old age?
Yep...To all of that...

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:01 PM
09sporty
Tourer

Old age??? WTF 44 yrs old. I hope I don't hang it up in 6 years..
- Seriously though. Scraping peg is just something that happens...do you really go 35 around a curve that is marked 35mph? If so, then you will probably never scrape. It's not a rite of passage or anything, or even an indication of limitations, but if you ride hard it happens.

fyi 35mph marked turns are really 55mph turns

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:03 PM
glock221
Road Warrior

I have ridden for 23 years. Moslty sportbikes. I have never scraped a peg on sweepers here in Iowa. However, I scrape all the time turning right or left about 85 to 90 degrees. (low Speed)

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:04 PM
Lightyear68
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Yep...To all of that...
You're killing me here, Mouth

I asked several contradictory questions to figure out where people stand and you agreed to everything...

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:05 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by 09sporty
Old age??? WTF 44 yrs old. I hope I don't hang it up in 6 years..
[snip]
+1
44 and you consider yourself old? OMG I'm Ancient!!!

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:11 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

It's hard not to scrape when you are riding the twisties here in SoCal. Even in town around 90 degree turns and freeway on / off ramps. It probably depends on where and what you are riding as well. When I was stationed in Texas with my GSXR, it was so damn flat you would have a hard time finding a road to scrape anything on.

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:11 PM
Lightyear68
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by EveHD
+1
44 and you consider yourself old? OMG I'm Ancient!!!
Sorry everybody, I didn't mean that 44 is old. I was just trying to convey how I question my changing attitude 34 years after my first twist of the wrist.

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:13 PM
Rdgray
Road Master

Well I used to scrape my boards on my Heritage all the time. Then I got a pretty good scare when following some friends coming out of West Va. Coming across a mountain put it down to far hit the board support mounts and it bounced be back up, I was still in the turn so had to put it back down again and hit the supports again and bounced me back up again. By the second time I had scrubbed of enough speed and far enough around the turn I was in control again. Don't remember if I ever scraped those boards again or not, but I haven't scrapped the ultra boards. There are a little harder to scrape.

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:15 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by Lightyear68
Sorry everybody, I didn't mean that 44 is old. I was just trying to convey how I question my changing attitude 34 years after my first twist of the wrist.
LOL - I understood.

BTW -Since my baby is a Sporty, I can't comment on your OP.

Quick Reply: To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?