General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013 | 02:24 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master

not only pegs, but i've scraped the side fairings on a hayabusa before. That was a little too much

Old 02-20-2013 | 02:36 PM
oricko
Tourer

I bought a bike with tires so I would not have to ride on hard parts.

Old 02-20-2013 | 04:36 PM
mcryder
Advanced

Quite a few crashes on roads like the Dragon are because someone drags a "hard part" and it scares the crap out of them. Then they panic and end up in the ditch. If you know your bike and its limits you are far less likely to panic when you hear something scrape.

I must have my feet on the edge of the boards because I always feel my boot edge rub first. Kind of like the old curb feelers on cars.

Old 02-20-2013 | 07:51 PM
r.i. streetglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by mcryder
Quite a few crashes on roads like the Dragon are because someone drags a "hard part" and it scares the crap out of them. Then they panic and end up in the ditch. If you know your bike and its limits you are far less likely to panic when you hear something scrape.

I must have my feet on the edge of the boards because I always feel my boot edge rub first. Kind of like the old curb feelers on cars.
exactly i scrape my boards not alot but here and there and its actually the bracket holding the board going into a corner i know im going to lean alot ill slide the tip of my boot over the edge of the board and if my boot scrapes i know im with in a fraction of the bracket hiting. just stay with in what makes you confident and youll be fine

Old 02-20-2013 | 07:55 PM
luckie426
6th Gear

Ive never scraped my floorboards on my glide yet but i have got the jiffy stand before where it picked the front end up. It was my fault going to fast had to stand it back up then back down again i came out of it lesson learned.

Old 02-20-2013 | 08:52 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't ride to scrape but I have scraped before. I don't recommend it and I don't like it. Most of the time it is because I hit a curve too hot and rode the bike through it without fear. The problem with riding several different bikes is that they are all different but riding style isn't. I sometimes forget that the Softtail Classic isn't a Wideglide. Like dirt and asphalt. Same but very different.

Old 02-20-2013 | 09:01 PM
acman308
Road Master

The place i usually scrape is low speed turns or taking off from a stop into a turn.

I consider myself "conservative" compared to a lot of people i've ridden with / around.

Old 02-20-2013 | 09:14 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior

I have scraped once on each side on every bike I have ridden...this was intentional so I know the limits of the machine.

If your makin sparks you are at the limits of operation and control...I prefer not to have both happen at the same time

Old 02-21-2013 | 08:17 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Frankenbagger
It was just a comment, didnt realize we had the National Spokesperson For The Ethical Treatment Of The HD Rental Bikes on the forum....

I payed to use the property within terms of a certain contract. If the owner (not you) feels I broke the contract i'm liable, its between me and them. So your opinion doesn't mean ****.

I should probably edit my previous statement to "I would not want to be the sucker that bought any bike out of the rental program haha". Because this isnt happy dappy flowers and butterfly land where everyone rents a Harley to take it on a sweet babied 40mi ride to the park for the day where the ensure that its parked under sufficient cover from the weather, then park it inside their protective bubble for the night, and wash it and change the oil before returning it to the dealer. This is the real world, they get rented, run hard, run far, put away wet, and brought back dirty.

Sorry that I couldnt care less that I've offended you. Im jealous of "people like you". I mean, come on, your life is so dandy that you have time to waste on the internet whining about what one person does with a rental bike
I spoke my opinion. No need to embellish just to make you feel better, put words into my mouth about life and the world.

I respect other people's property and you don't. I really don't give a **** whether you care or not. You apparently have time to waste on the internet bragging about abusing bikes that are not yours. Wow, you must be a big, bad, tough biker. LOL

Old 02-21-2013 | 08:56 AM
jazzy jack
Road Captain

Manufacturers make different products for differing uses. Would anyone expect a Cadillac Escalade to keep up with or corner like a 'vette? jmo

Quick Reply: To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?