General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013 | 12:42 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Counterbalancing is one of those techniques touched on in the MSF courses when on the riding range.
Yeah, when you are doing a tight turn at SLOW speed.

Old 02-20-2013 | 12:59 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jimsflh
Yeah, when you are doing a tight turn at SLOW speed.
My point was that they do touch on it, and as another mentioned, many seem unfamiliar with the concept.

Old 02-20-2013 | 01:06 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Frankenbagger
They rent it, I payed for it, I ride it. I rode it like I would ride my own bike. If they find a damaged part I am liable for it, just like on my own bike. Its a rental vehicle, the druged out abused hookers of the vehicle industry, not some unsuspecting citizen's bike who let me borrow it in good faith. Stop acting offended like it was yours...
I'm offended that you would abuse a bike that's not yours, nothing more or less. I KNOW that people don't seem to give a **** about rentals. That doesn't make it right. I respect other people's property.

And you did end your comment with pitying the poor sucker who buys any rental that you've spent time on....taking pride in abusing property that's not yours. Yea, you offend me.

But the world is full of people like you, and though I accept it, I don't have to like it.

Old 02-20-2013 | 01:16 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer

My point was that they do touch on it, and as another mentioned, many seem unfamiliar with the concept.
i never new it was a "good" technique i thought it was just a bad habbit i picked up. it was something i just naturally started doing when taking turns on stone roads on my dirtbike. it felt unnatural but was the only way i could take the sharp turns on stone roads fast without shitting myself worrying my wheels were going to come out from under me.

im glad to hear that its a good skill and translates to road bikes. i feel out of my element on my harley as it is since its my first road bike. like learning all over again

Old 02-20-2013 | 01:26 PM
02DynaHH
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lightyear68
Background on me--I've ridden 2 wheels since I was 10 years old starting with a Rupp Industries minibike, countless dirtbikes and streetbikes, all the way to my present Harley Fat Boy (I'm 44 years old). I have also taken multple rider courses and have read and understand the physics of Ride Like A Pro, Total Control, Maximum Control, and Proficient Motorcycling.

Regarding Softails and Touring Bikes (not canyon carving Dynas and Sportys):

One group on this forum writes that leaning hard into turns to the point of scraping is a rite of passage and a sign that one knows how to ride well.

Another group writes that scraping is a sign that you're going too fast, have reached the bike's lean limits, and about to wash out.

I'm still undecided, but will keep an open mind as folks way in.

Do you scrapers have to exceed the speed limit to get the lean needed to scrape?

I ride the speed limit and don't come close to having the speed to scrape.

Have you ever ridden the speed limit and scraped on a curve?

Is this an entry and exit ramp thing? A circle roundabout thing? A trackday thing?

Am I a responsible rider or have I just gotten too conservative in my old age?
-I scrape all the time, I do tend to ride pretty fast though.

-Not sure if I have done it at the speed limit, Im guessing no, though.

-Its a "I like to push everything I own to the edge" thing.

If people are scraping at the speed limit then the most likely scenario is they dont know how to ride well. Leaning your body and moving your weight around helps a lot in corners and most of the time when done right will prevent scraping (unless your going REALLY fast).

Last edited by 02DynaHH; 02-20-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2013 | 01:30 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

I'm offended that you would abuse a bike that's not yours, nothing more or less. I KNOW that people don't seem to give a **** about rentals. That doesn't make it right. I respect other people's property.

And you did end your comment with pitying the poor sucker who buys any rental that you've spent time on....taking pride in abusing property that's not yours. Yea, you offend me.

But the world is full of people like you, and though I accept it, I don't have to like it.
It was just a comment, didnt realize we had the National Spokesperson For The Ethical Treatment Of The HD Rental Bikes on the forum....

I payed to use the property within terms of a certain contract. If the owner (not you) feels I broke the contract i'm liable, its between me and them. So your opinion doesn't mean ****.

I should probably edit my previous statement to "I would not want to be the sucker that bought any bike out of the rental program haha". Because this isnt happy dappy flowers and butterfly land where everyone rents a Harley to take it on a sweet babied 40mi ride to the park for the day where the ensure that its parked under sufficient cover from the weather, then park it inside their protective bubble for the night, and wash it and change the oil before returning it to the dealer. This is the real world, they get rented, run hard, run far, put away wet, and brought back dirty.

Sorry that I couldnt care less that I've offended you. Im jealous of "people like you". I mean, come on, your life is so dandy that you have time to waste on the internet whining about what one person does with a rental bike

Old 02-20-2013 | 01:40 PM
02DynaHH
Tourer

Originally Posted by Frankenbagger
It was just a comment, didnt realize we had the National Spokesperson For The Ethical Treatment Of The HD Rental Bikes on the forum....

I payed to use the property within terms of a certain contract. If the owner (not you) feels I broke the contract i'm liable, its between me and them. So your opinion doesn't mean ****.

I should probably edit my previous statement to "I would not want to be the sucker that bought any bike out of the rental program haha". Because this isnt happy dappy flowers and butterfly land where everyone rents a Harley to take it on a sweet babied 40mi ride to the park for the day where the ensure that its parked under sufficient cover from the weather, then park it inside their protective bubble for the night, and wash it and change the oil before returning it to the dealer. This is the real world, they get rented, run hard, run far, put away wet, and brought back dirty.

Sorry that I couldnt care less that I've offended you. Im jealous of "people like you". I mean, come on, your life is so dandy that you have time to waste on the internet whining about what one person does with a rental bike

Ride em like you stole em! Rentals are like hookers, you're not paying to take them out for a nice romatic dinner!

Last edited by 02DynaHH; 02-20-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2013 | 01:51 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 02DynaHH

Ride em like you stole em! Rentals are like hookers, you're not paying to take them out for a nice romatic dinner!
Hey man, I'm offended that you would treat a hooker that way! That hooker belongs to some pimp, shes not yours, and she deserves a romantic dinner! People like you disgust me.

Old 02-20-2013 | 02:08 PM
Fxsts74
Stage II
Default Forward controls

So I might be new at this, but my exhaust will take me off the bike before I scrape my pegs. But seriously I am 6'2" and fitted forward controls on my fxsts a discarded the boards, so now I'm comfy. The only thing is on the air cleaner side my leg has to be bent to get my foot on the peg and around the air intake. I reckon the peg needs to be 2" longer. Is this normal? Any advice?

Old 02-20-2013 | 02:17 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by EveHD
+1
44 and you consider yourself old? OMG I'm Ancient!!!
Ancient? i figured 33-34 max.

i have scraped in low speed turns and i have scraped in high speed turns. it all depends on how deep you cut the turn

Quick Reply: To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?