General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013 | 07:18 AM
ngshop
Road Master

Bigdayy33 hit the nail on the head 'nuff said. I can only feel for MiniWolf and what he is missing on a Harley.

Old 02-20-2013 | 09:03 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by dc1450
Hence the myth that Harleys are slow, it's Harley riders that are slow.

That's why I have so much fun with the shovelhead and these guys with twinkies and their 103's & bigger engines , I don't have to out perform the bike just the owners

Old 02-20-2013 | 10:33 AM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by ngshop
Bigdayy33 hit the nail on the head 'nuff said. I can only feel for MiniWolf and what he is missing on a Harley.
It is true that you would probably fall asleep from boredom if you road with me. I readily admit as such. If I was younger, my perspective might be different. I have nothing to prove and am not out to compete or try to get caught up in the bravado and other stuff that often goes along with the riding community. So, when I hear people talk about wanting to scrape their pegs on the pavement and always riding at the limit, I just think back to my youth and am glad I survived some of the reckless and crazy stuff I did with cars.

Old 02-20-2013 | 10:45 AM
aquadave
Road Master

I don't lean to much to scrape my pegs, unlike a screamin Demon or crotch rocket. 44 old? not for a man but for a woman that's like 88 in man yrs, so yeah that's old

Old 02-20-2013 | 11:22 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Dragging pegs, pipes, bags- wonder if he borrowed that bike?

Old 02-20-2013 | 11:59 AM
aces25
Road Master

Originally Posted by shoemaker
That's the reason why Superbike racers lean off the side of the bikes in corners.
Faster through the turns with less lean angle on the bike.And yet,they still lowside occasionally.I learned a long time ago,if something starts scraping,to push my body further into the turn allowing the bike to still turn but in a more upright position.
I usually lead a sharp turn with my upper body.Many of us here probably do it and don't even realize it.
I agree. Too many people don't understand how much the center of gravity changes when you shift weight into a turn at speed.

Go to a weekend at the Dragon and watch how many cruiser riders counterbalance hard curves instead of lean into them. They scrape away thinking they are taking the bike to limit not realizing it's their poor technique and bad lines.

Old 02-20-2013 | 12:10 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Xube
Dragging pegs, pipes, bags- wonder if he borrowed that bike?
The first time I ever went to the dragon was on a rented Harley. That bike saw every kind of abuse that I put my own bikes through, including dragging the boards off it. I would not want to be the sucker that bought that thing out of the rental program haha

Old 02-20-2013 | 12:20 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by aces25
I agree. Too many people don't understand how much the center of gravity changes when you shift weight into a turn at speed.

Go to a weekend at the Dragon and watch how many cruiser riders counterbalance hard curves instead of lean into them. They scrape away thinking they are taking the bike to limit not realizing it's their poor technique and bad lines.
Counterbalancing is one of those techniques touched on in the MSF courses when on the riding range.

Old 02-20-2013 | 12:21 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Frankenbagger
The first time I ever went to the dragon was on a rented Harley. That bike saw every kind of abuse that I put my own bikes through, including dragging the boards off it. I would not want to be the sucker that bought that thing out of the rental program haha
And that's something to brag about, abusing a bike that's not yours?

Old 02-20-2013 | 12:34 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mmancuso
And that's something to brag about, abusing a bike that's not yours?
They rent it, I payed for it, I ride it. I rode it like I would ride my own bike. If they find a damaged part I am liable for it, just like on my own bike. Its a rental vehicle, the druged out abused hookers of the vehicle industry, not some unsuspecting citizen's bike who let me borrow it in good faith. Stop acting offended like it was yours...

Quick Reply: To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?