General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013 | 06:13 AM
bluecollarjoe
Advanced

I've only scraped the boards on my Limited a few times when pushing the line of travel on curves. My wife's lowered Heritage scrapes much more easily, so she must ride slower and take the curves wider. I consider scraping to be your final warning, not a "badge of courage".

Old 02-19-2013 | 07:10 AM
ngshop
Road Master

Like everyone else, I too have a reasonable amount of riding experience. I also agree with alot of the comments. Soft scraping is letting you know that your are near the lean angle limits. Continued soft scraping does increase that lean angle. I will state to ron750 that in the twisties of NC and TN there are lots of curves where he should not attempt 15 mph over the posted limits on his large touring bike (all but impossible). On the other hand there are a lot of roads where they can be taken at greater than 15mph over the limit.

Old 02-19-2013 | 09:08 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Your dragging parts there's a few things going on ; A : harley's have notoriously crappy suspension it's soft on a good day . B : Do you have the bike overloaded ? like you and the passenger putting more on it than the recommended load limits ? another little dark secret harley has nobody wants to address or is the tour pac & saddlebags full of crap ? You'd be surprised how little it takes to drop the *** of a bagger . C : Are you riding within the design limits of the particular model for the road in question ? A hard twisty like the dragon is gonna eat some steel on most bikes unless they are setup for canyon carving and have some ground clearance .
I agree with these statements. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is, just about everyone likes to lower their bikes. Being a tall guy I have found that a stock Harley's ride height is about perfect for me. But it's not a one size fits all type of thing. So guys lower their bike 2 inch's, maybe more. There goes the ground clearance. I realised this when I bought my '03 ultra, the po had it lowered and it scraped at the thought of a sharp corner or a speed bump. The rear of the floor boards were worn down to the point you could have shaved with them. Ands it's a good thing you couldn't see the bottom of the mufflers either. I guess it's all about what you want, looks or handling.,,

Old 02-19-2013 | 10:10 AM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Since when is scraping pegs/boards such a bad thing? There's nothing wrong with pushing yourself or the bike. That's one of the ways we become better riders. And, I don't care about the cruiser, touring, sport bike labels. Bikes are built to be leaned over,and ridden hard if we choose regardless of what class they are labeled as.

With all due respect to the women on the board (most of whom probably ride better than the guys), where has everyone's testosterone gone?

Riding is supposed to be fun and a little exciting. Aside from the few who do it as their sole means of transportation, isn't that why most of us ride in the first place?

I'd write more but I'm running late for my manicure/pedicure appointment.
There is a fine line between courage and stupidity. Running out and scraping your boards just to scrape your boards is not an indicator of manhood or courage. It is an indicator of the feeling of invulnerability that comes with young age or an indication of a lack of brain cells. There is taking risk for the sake of risk and there is taking risk for the sake of fun. The former is motivated by a reckless indiference. It is usually associated with youth. It sometimes results in being granted full memebership into the Darwin Award Hall of Fame.

Old 02-19-2013 | 10:23 AM
TheRooster
Road Master

I can't get the pegs on my Softail to scrape. I bounce off the exhaust on the right side before I hit the peg, and on the left side, if I leaned that low, I scrape the heel of my boot (which I've done).

Old 02-19-2013 | 10:46 AM
Blackfly
Road Master

Originally Posted by glock221
I have ridden for 23 years. Moslty sportbikes. I have never scraped a peg on sweepers here in Iowa. However, I scrape all the time turning right or left about 85 to 90 degrees. (low Speed)
Yeah that. It doesn't take speed to scrape, just lean angle. If you're scraping around a ramp and you see sand on the outside, you got nowhere to go as you can't tighten up your turn anymore. Not good.

Old 02-19-2013 | 10:49 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by EveHD
+1
44 and you consider yourself old? OMG I'm Ancient!!!
Not by any calendar that I would apply to you!

Old 02-19-2013 | 10:54 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

My only comment about scraping the boards is that I used to once in a while, not being particularly aggressive, but then one time something happened that has made me leary of doing it again.

My board started scraping on an asphalt highway on-ramp, and for a brief instant I felt it catch on something in the asphalt. I've never felt that before, and it got my attention because if that catch had held on for a bit longer, the whole bike would have pivoted around it and down I would have gone. It was the start of that pivot that I felt. I know it unlikely, but the possibility had never crossed my mind before.

Old 02-19-2013 | 11:03 AM
Brobrian
Cruiser

Exactly! Each bike has a different ride height, and lean angles. I've even noticed the difference between tires. Bikes with low slung exhausts on only one side have different lean angle clearance on each side. If you like to ride hard in the corners or even lean deeply on a tight figure-eight you may or may not scrape parts depending on the bike and how well you can use your body to counterbalance the bike.

Old 02-19-2013 | 11:11 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

It's just as important to know YOUR riding ability limits as to know the bikes limits, ride your own ride have fun and be safe is what it's all about for me.

Quick Reply: To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?