General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013 | 05:43 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

It happens to me all the time on low speed corners, and fairly often on entry ramps and such if I know the corner. Just have to be careful of the board mounts/exhaust. Once youv'e drug through the boards enough or they fold up to much you hit those "solid" parts, much more dangerous and itll scare the $hit out of you if you dont anticipate it. It may even cause a low side, or push you back up and straight out of the curve. Ive drug about halfway through the floorboard mounts on my 1990 though, a few trips to the dragon will do that.

Old 02-18-2013 | 05:51 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Originally Posted by Frankenbagger
It happens to me all the time on low speed corners, and fairly often on entry ramps and such if I know the corner. Just have to be careful of the board mounts/exhaust. Once youv'e drug through the boards enough or they fold up to much you hit those "solid" parts, much more dangerous and itll scare the $hit out of you if you dont anticipate it. It may even cause a low side, or push you back up and straight out of the curve. Ive drug about halfway through the floorboard mounts on my 1990 though, a few trips to the dragon will do that.
That's where I got my most recent one

Old 02-18-2013 | 06:05 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Exhibit A: Guy trying to ride a Harley like a sport bike. This guy was lucky as hell. His leg was about a few inches from being trapped and undergoing a traumatic amputation below the kneecap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYxU_lYBHpY
This guy is a miserable example of dragging a Harley.

He leaves is foot hanging off (hence why it catches and almost removes itself in the rear wheel). If you dont know when your bike is going to start scraping, you probably dont have a lot of experience pushing the bike to its limit like that and should be trying to show off for bystanders...

Second. He picks a terrible line in that corner at to high of a speed, at the point where he starts to scrape you can already tell hes too hot in the corner and going to run off the side. Instead of backing off, losing some speed, then leaning back in he just keeps on it. Not a good idea when the bike is at it limits and heading out of the corner.

If I am going to hit a corner hard (enough to where i might scrape), I brake to an acceptable entry speed, lean into it while maintaining speed, then slowly accelerate and lean till it *barely* touches. You dont just haul *** into a corner, lay it on the boards and hope youre not going to fast for the corner...

Old 02-18-2013 | 06:09 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member

I mostly try to keep from scraping due to cost. Plus I have a heritage and a sporty so if I want to just cruise I take the heritage, ***** to the walls I take the sporty.

Old 02-18-2013 | 06:31 PM
mcryder
Advanced

I have been behind guys on a couple of the "popular" curvy roads that seemed to be very afraid to even lean, let alone scrape a board. It was kinda scary to watch. Speed is not always the determining factor to scraping. Good lines will help prevent rubbing the boards on the road.

Old 02-18-2013 | 06:40 PM
Glider rider
Tourer

Scraping has always been a warning that I'm reaching the limit. A quick one on a low speed 90 degree turn no big deal. Exit ramps, sharp curves and long sweepers wake me up.

Old 02-18-2013 | 06:45 PM
Adrian Thompson
Cruiser

I take my Road King through canyons here in SoCal all the time and scrape floorboards pretty often. I usually go the speed limitish, but throttling through a twisty usually results in a scrape.

Old 02-18-2013 | 06:50 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I had a 2008 frame that I scrapped all the time. With the newer frame, I don't scrape very often. Two times I remember were 1. on a traffic circle and 2. a few turns on the dragon. When I hear it or feel the vibration in my foot I use it as a warning.

Old 02-18-2013 | 07:02 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Your dragging parts there's a few things going on ; A : harley's have notoriously crappy suspension it's soft on a good day . B : Do you have the bike overloaded ? like you and the passenger putting more on it than the recommended load limits ? another little dark secret harley has nobody wants to address or is the tour pac & saddlebags full of crap ? You'd be surprised how little it takes to drop the *** of a bagger . C : Are you riding within the design limits of the particular model for the road in question ? A hard twisty like the dragon is gonna eat some steel on most bikes unless they are setup for canyon carving and have some ground clearance .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 02-18-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2013 | 07:11 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

Scraped the board support once, which was enough to know never to do it again. Every now and again making a left or right turn at an intersection I will drag a board.

Quick Reply: To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?