General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:17 PM
glock221
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rdgray
Well I used to scrape my boards on my Heritage all the time. Then I got a pretty good scare when following some friends coming out of West Va. Coming across a mountain put it down to far hit the board support mounts and it bounced be back up, I was still in the turn so had to put it back down again and hit the supports again and bounced me back up again. By the second time I had scrubbed of enough speed and far enough around the turn I was in control again. Don't remember if I ever scraped those boards again or not, but I haven't scrapped the ultra boards. There are a little harder to scrape.
I have heard this, and it worries me.

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:18 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Rdgray
Well I used to scrape my boards on my Heritage all the time. Then I got a pretty good scare when following some friends coming out of West Va. Coming across a mountain put it down to far hit the board support mounts and it bounced be back up, I was still in the turn so had to put it back down again and hit the supports again and bounced me back up again. By the second time I had scrubbed of enough speed and far enough around the turn I was in control again. Don't remember if I ever scraped those boards again or not, but I haven't scrapped the ultra boards. There are a little harder to scrape.
I had the same thing happen, and when the bike came back up it forced be off the road into the weeds.

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:22 PM
Rdgray
Road Master

Originally Posted by RedNose44
I had the same thing happen, and when the bike came back up it forced be off the road into the weeds.
That's why I had to put it back down the second time after the first bounce I was on the edge of the road and still in the turn.

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:27 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior

I've scraped my SG boards plenty of times....never felt I was anywhere near "too far/fast" for the bike to handle.
EDIT: I'll admit, though, I've not hit the actual supports. That may be that little deciding-factor line.

My Night Train only scraped a few times, but with forward controls on a Softail, it's not hard.
My wife's Fatboy? Especially after putting the lowered shocks on it, it was hard to corner at a decently fast speed and NOT scrape.

I've yet to scrape the pegs on the Springer, but it's bound to happen.

Last edited by Gruamach; 02-18-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2013 | 04:31 PM
203Cree
Road Master

Low speed it happens. At speed, it's telling you something. Pegs and boards might fold, but there's probably something hard not far behind that point that's going to mess up your day.

I scraped my Sporty all the time, 2 up included, until I hit the kickstand stop hard enough on the Pig Trail to lift the rear tire off the ground. Years of dirt riding saved my hide that day, but from then on I've toned it down a bit. We're not on sport bikes.

roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

When I was young and dumb, I made a spark or two. Now, I'm older wiser and have nothing to prove to anyone so I rarely have a board or peg on the pavement. Now that I'm no longer invincible, I figure that if I'm dragging floorboards in turns, I got nothing left if something unexpected comes my way, so now I'm a little slower with room to manuver if something comes up. I want to be able to ride again tomorrow so I'm not going to do anything to stupid to often that will lower my chances of tomorrows ride happening.

The Outlaw
Tourer

i always thought it was a bad thing and what folks consider the begining of a "lowside" spill...

and evehd i think your the first female over 18 i've ever heard fib to make themselves sound older... i have a hard time believing your a day over 40... BUT.... with arms like the pic in your signature holding the banner you can fib about anything you'd like

Old 02-18-2013 | 04:45 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

LOL - Um, thank you?

Old 02-18-2013 | 05:11 PM
MiniWolf

If you enjoy leaning over so far that you scrape your pegs, you probably would enjoy riding a sport bike over a Harley cruiser, I guess. To each their own, though. I guess its a bragging rights thing. For me, I do not not enjoy the sound or feel of metal scraping in a turn. I control my speed on exit ramps etc so I do not scrape parts. Parts cost money. So do orthopedic surgeons or low-siding Harley's.

A Harley isn't designed to be ridden like a sport bike. It's a cruiser.

Exhibit A: Guy trying to ride a Harley like a sport bike. This guy was lucky as hell. His leg was about a few inches from being trapped and undergoing a traumatic amputation below the kneecap. You can see him slowly start drifting to the outside as he realizes he is out of clearance.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 02-18-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2013 | 05:39 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

I paid too much for my parts so the last thing I want to do is grind em' down.

Quick Reply: To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?