General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013 | 10:36 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

My advice is leave the peg where it is. That peg being low and extended out could get you into a nine line bind if actually got the weight of the bike on it. I am so use to my knee being on the breather that I am not comfortable on other make of bikes.
Originally Posted by Fxsts74
So I might be new at this, but my exhaust will take me off the bike before I scrape my pegs. But seriously I am 6'2" and fitted forward controls on my fxsts a discarded the boards, so now I'm comfy. The only thing is on the air cleaner side my leg has to be bent to get my foot on the peg and around the air intake. I reckon the peg needs to be 2" longer. Is this normal? Any advice?

Old 02-21-2013 | 01:06 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer

Yes to all of that. I've scrapped at 5 mph and at 70 which was the speed limit. IT's just not that hard to do. I don't try to scrap, it just happens. Also when you scrap you are not at the limits of the bike because the floor boards just fold up to absorb the impact. Both of my floorboards have the vertical outside part nearly ground completely off.

Old 02-21-2013 | 01:32 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mmancuso
I spoke my opinion. No need to embellish just to make you feel better, put words into my mouth about life and the world.

I respect other people's property and you don't. I really don't give a **** whether you care or not. You apparently have time to waste on the internet bragging about abusing bikes that are not yours. Wow, you must be a big, bad, tough biker. LOL
Like I said man, thats your opinion... Which happens to be completely invalid in the situation... You're not the owner of the rental bike, so it literally could not possibly matter any less what you think of how i treated it. period. end of story.
The only person who counts guy who inspects the bike, who didn't seem to mind that I brought the bike back almost 4000mi later in need of fluids, wash, floorboard pans, and tires. I believe his words were somewhere along the lines of "hey someone needs to actually ride these bikes once in a while"

back on topic now... I thought of this thread today while I was laying my floorboard on a freshly paved 270 degree turn entry ramp to the interstate

Old 02-21-2013 | 01:45 PM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member

HD's are generally low. They scrape. A lot.

Old 02-21-2013 | 06:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I've worn floorboards down to a knifes edge, scraped the floorboard mounts, and never levered the tire off the ground.

Any HD will touch down on a hard part at slow speed or faster.

It is not for everybody, (I try not to do it with the wife on, she hates it) and it is easy to get in trouble if you don't know what your doing.

There are too many variable to list here, but a couple of things are especially relevant-

Road irregularities can take a nice smooth scrape and upset the apple cart

Accelerating will raise the whole frame and increase clearance if your grinding a little too hard

Check out this video, in most every turn he is scraping-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-21-2013 | 08:17 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

I scrape my pegs fairly often in a traffic circle not far from here, no biggie to me unless my heel hits, which is a little discerning.

Old 02-22-2013 | 12:20 AM
BeardedFish
Novice

Back in the early 80's when I was into road racing, I went to Keith Code's Superbike school.
Though we scraped something or another on our bikes on occasion, it wasn't something we made a habit of, but in the heat of a race, and you're pushing yourself and the bike to the limit, it would happen. Now that I ride a FLS, dragging my floorboards is a matter of amusement. I love the sound it makes, especially when making turns in town when pedestrians are standing on the corner. It scares the crap out of them!

After watching the video of the guy on the bagger I noticed that he got a little full of himself trying to keep up with the metric that screamed around the corner before him. Though Mr. Bagger had plenty of power, he was on the wrong line and didn't account for the bags. Had it not been for the left bag, he MIGHT have pulled it off. Young, dumb, and full of *** they would say back in the day. BTW, I know exactly where that video was taken. That was Mulholland Hwy headed to the Rock Store. The guy with the camera is there every weekend taking pictures of everyone. He has a website you can visit and order prints or a continuous series of photos. It's pretty cool but expensive.

Old 02-22-2013 | 12:32 AM
EZSkankin29
Road Captain

I've usually done all my scraping at low speeds or tight turns. I have my highway pegs set low so they are first to hit before my floorboards. I'm generally aware if its going to scrap or not and adjust beforehand.

Old 02-22-2013 | 06:56 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

Yeah, I've scrapped the boards a few times but always in low speed curves. It pisses me off and not something I think is cool or something I want to do again.

Old 02-22-2013 | 07:06 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Lesson learned and cool recovery:

Quick Reply: To Scrape Pegs/Boards Or Not To Scrape?