General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Winds

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 PM
TheBig-O
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was traveling west on US 90 last year in South Dakota when I encounter a sustained 20 kn wind that hit me from the north/west . I had a permanent"lean" into the wind as I traveled ,, never done that before . It lasted all day . At a gas stop I asked the attendant if the wind was unusual , she said "no" , you should be here in the winter . " No thanks" I answered . Now I'm from the North East and I am familiar with high winds . But when we get winds like I encountered in South Dakota there is usually an accompanying storm . Except for the wind It was a perfect day ,beautiful blue sky , temperature in the 80's . It was different

Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 PM
tourman12
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
What is great is passing a truck in high cross winds. You are leaning into the wind, then the truck blocks the wind, so you go upright. Then you complete your pass and the wind hits you again. Great fun with the wind and gravel in your face and the truck trailers blowing back and forth. All this while running 80 mph down the interstate. Just not my cup of tea unless you are on a schedule.
Yup...passing a big rig in high cross winds can be a real adventure. I've had it also where you start the pass & you go upright then as you get near the front of the truck & it pulls you forward-like being shot out of cannon then you pass & the wind whips you to the right or left. It can turn out to be a real white nuckle affair.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Despite the "disadvantages" of the batwing fairing, I found the gusts and crosswinds didn't bother me as much as the wind trying to blow my feet off my floorboards. I thought it was really odd, lol.

I got fabric lowers in response to that.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

20-30 mph is the average wind speed here. It's not that bad. I mean it doesn't bother me a whole lot because I'm used to it. I've been caught in 50+ mph wind though and that's extremely unpleasant. That part of it wasn't by choice, trust me. I'm puckered so hard I could pinch a railroad spike in half!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Bilco60
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got back from riding to Las Vegas. You always have the potential for high winds through the desert. Had 20-30 mph gusting winds on way back. Not that difficult to ride in, but does tire you out a bit. . Winds can get a lot worst than that and the sand it picks up is not fun.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:33 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

High wind like we've had the last few days will keep me grounded before anything else. If I'm out and the wind picks up I'm just very careful and try to travel on back roads where there's more wind protection from trees and such along the roadside. Being blown across lanes of traffic and having very little control just isn't fun! So if I have a choice, no...Gertie stays in the garage and I find something else to do.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

"A nice tail wind is good but cross winds or head winds suck."

Cross winds are the worst.

And the WORST crosswinds I ever encountered were on the Newburgh-Beacon bridge where I-84 crosses the Hudson River. You're about 180 feet up in the air there, no "side protection", and the river is wide and the winds can be fierce. Seemed like it wanted to push me right out of the lane I was in, towards the rail and over the side.

I was on my FXR that day and that was as scary an experience as one could have, short of being hit by an animal or car (had both of those happen). I'm now on a Road Glide which is heavier and a bit more stable in heavy crosswinds. But if its a windy day with serious gusts, I'll stay off of the I-84 bridge...

Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Gator37
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Riding in a strong wind sucks. Ridiing East out of Boise one summer and wind so strong it was like your leaning into it and it's beating me up pretty good. I was listening to the Truckers on CB talking about shutting down till it let up. I got off and spent the night in Mtn. Home.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:56 PM
HogzBreath
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
It's blowing here 15 to 30 mph, but, it's winter........and 50 degrees. I"m riding......
I rode today as well... It was a little windy, but, hell it's always windy here.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 AM
phatdaddymo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in KS if you don't ride the wind you don't ride.

That's for sure

Quick Reply: High Winds