General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Winds

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A few years ago on a bike trip around CO we encountered riding in some serious sustained crosswind, mixed with powerful gusts. It was windy most of the week with one day of just relentless where it never let up.

The best thing about that experience is it made it so much easier and comfortable to ride on normal windy days. It definitely made me and the other guys with me better and more relaxed "wind" riders.

I would say go for your ride, and after a while the wind will become less of an issue.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Trusten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windy?

It depends on how strong. Usually, unless it is a bad crosswind, I don't mind it much, though it can really toss you around on high overpasses!

A lot of the time it depends on what you're riding. Lower profile, more holes, less wind resistance.

A few months ago, I bought my wife a honda silverwing 600 cc scooter, she doesn't like shifting gears, and doesn't want to ride on the back of my bike (control issues?) It was really windy the day we bought it, so I had to ride it back across the metroplex, maybe 30 miles, for her. On the high overpasses, maybe 4 five stories tall, nothing around to block the wind, gusting 30+mph, that high, plastic covered scooter had me sliding all over the lane. Guys on fatboys and sportsters type bikes I saw on the highway that day did not seem to be having the same issue, except on the overpasses.

Generally, if it tosses me around, too strong.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,996 Likes on 17,903 Posts

Don't the macho bullshit kid you , wind can be killer quick as damn teenager with a cell phone . Seen the aftermath of several wind related wrecks and had it push me across 3 lanes suddenly . It'll beat the hell outa you on a good day and I have called it over being too windy to ride before .

Old 02-18-2013, 06:56 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Don't the macho bullshit kid you , wind can be killer quick as damn teenager with a cell phone . Seen the aftermath of several wind related wrecks and had it push me across 3 lanes suddenly . It'll beat the hell outa you on a good day and I have called it over being too windy to ride before .
I remember not too long ago there was a story on the news about a guy on a bike getting killed crossing a bridge when a big gust of wind suddenly picked up and pushed him under the truck in the lane next to him.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,996 Likes on 17,903 Posts

Originally Posted by kajunkruzer
I remember not too long ago there was a story on the news about a guy on a bike getting killed crossing a bridge when a big gust of wind suddenly picked up and pushed him under the truck in the lane next to him.
Gal I worked with was out with her husband in a group riding years ago she had a sporty . Wind gust hit her and the big rig next to her and it got real screwed . According to the last rider the trailer tilted up sideways and she was shoved at almost 30 deg angle up under the trailer midway she managed to keep the bike upright laid down on the tank and the trailer dropped on top of her pinning her upright but still underneath it . Witnesses said it took a few miles to get the damn truck to stop and they had to lift the trailer with a big tow unit to get her out . Broke many bones , shattered her pelvis and multiple internal injuries . Cannot imagine the out terror that had to be under that thing for her .

Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

What is great is passing a truck in high cross winds. You are leaning into the wind, then the truck blocks the wind, so you go upright. Then you complete your pass and the wind hits you again. Great fun with the wind and gravel in your face and the truck trailers blowing back and forth. All this while running 80 mph down the interstate. Just not my cup of tea unless you are on a schedule.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to ride more in the wind until I did the wrecker gig---------------about every wind storm we got a BMW that had blown off the road.Most of the time injuries wernt bad enough to require a hospital stay but bad enough.If you were on a heavy bike yes to 30 mph but a sporty or something lite 30 mph would cause me to camp out

Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 PM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkster
Depends on how I feel that day. Wind beats the hell out of ya and can ruin a nice ride. That being said if you only ride in fair weather you wont ride much in Iowa.

Preaching to the choir. Iowa cross winds are brutal.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

It is always windy riding a motorcycle. I have not found a level that has forced me to stop yet. On my trips I have run into brutal side winds in the Dakota's, Nebraska, California on the east side of the mountains (Santa Anna) winds. You should see the bracing on the road signs.

Part of cycle skills is coming to an overpass with strong side winds and making the correct counter steer adjustment just as you enter and then exit. Those sidewalls deflect the wind up and over. The pressure on the wind side will leave then return in the moment that you enter and leave the the structure. First your leaning into the wind then nothing. You have to be quick to maintain your line.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

25 to 35 winds are no problem on my road king. I've followed my friend on his Fat Boy and he would be all over the lane. My road king wouldn't budge. It's always windy on a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: High Winds