General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my first harley (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013 | 09:47 AM
junior07
Road Master

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
is it normal for this bike to make metalic popping and pinging noise WHEN PARKED AND SHUT OFF after mile and a half ride in this weather? its been right around 30 deg when i had it out most times. i think i also may have heard a whistle from the exhaust a few times when i shut it off? possible lean condition? normal?

Yes, it will make that sound for a few minutes in cold weather.

As for the bars moving. No, absolutely not.

As for the forward controls. Yours look like the standard forward controls. No extensions. In my pics you can see what forward control extensions look like. i have Kuryakin 3" extensions.

How tall are you? and what is your inseam? Those will determine what modifications you will need on your forward controls.

Kuryakin also makes an adapter to pull forward controls back about an inch or two. You should look into those if you feet you are reaching too far for the pegs.

Also, unless there is something really strange with your pic, it does look like your brake pedal need to be adjusted. It is a simple switch. you just need to loosen the nut a little, pull up the pedal to your comfort zone, and re-tighten.

The bike looks awesome. But, I would loose the windshield.

Old 02-26-2013 | 10:06 AM
Major Thom
Road Captain

Nice bike, take a motorcycle safety course soon. There are big differences between riding dirt and street bikes. The sooner you learn this, the quicker you will learn the best techniques to steering/stopping and less likely to eat it. Well worth the money and weekend time. When you turn slow, dont look down, look where you want to end up being and the bike will follow. if you are looking down at the ground you will go down. This may be part of your turning issues.

Old 02-26-2013 | 10:55 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

...forward controls are either hard to get used to or not for me.

i need a tach...

No, you don't. You need to learn your motor and what it sounds
+1 on that.

Congrats on the bike. Take the MSF course and it will help you with the slow speed manuevers. Also the "Ride Like A Pro" video series is good.

Shakey

Old 02-26-2013 | 11:26 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Nice WG, congrats!
Welcome from Vancouver BC

Old 02-26-2013 | 02:07 PM
Choctaw
Intermediate

Nice bike, congrats!!!

Old 02-26-2013 | 02:29 PM
The Outlaw
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by junior07

As for the forward controls. Yours look like the standard forward controls. No extensions. In my pics you can see what forward control extensions look like. i have Kuryakin 3" extensions.

How tall are you? and what is your inseam? Those will determine what modifications you will need on your forward controls.

Kuryakin also makes an adapter to pull forward controls back about an inch or two. You should look into those if you feet you are reaching too far for the pegs.
im 5'11" not sure about the inseam i'll have to measure. ill have to look into the adapter since that will probably be cheaper than replacing the seat that i like.

The bike looks awesome. But, I would loose the windshield.
ill be keeping the windshield on untill it warms up to try to keep some of this cold wind off of me. i hated the idea of it untill i rode it in the cold. since i've got it i've put 75-100 miles on it all in temps from 25-35 deg and the shield really seems to help.

Also, unless there is something really strange with your pic, it does look like your brake pedal need to be adjusted. It is a simple switch. you just need to loosen the nut a little, pull up the pedal to your comfort zone, and re-tighten.
heres a better pic think it still needs to come up?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fullcirclephotos/8486330009/

Old 02-27-2013 | 01:53 AM
The Outlaw
|
Tourer

while im posting some pics and asking questions can anyone tell me how to get these square pieces of rubber off the back fender? they were under the passenger seat but i think i may want to loose the passenger seat and sissy bar. what do others do about the rubber? leave em there?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fullcirclephotos/8487420994/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fullcirclephotos/8487420752/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fullcirclephotos/8486328985/

Old 02-27-2013 | 07:49 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

while im posting some pics and asking questions can anyone tell me how to get these square pieces of rubber off the back fender? they were under the passenger seat but i think i may want to loose the passenger seat and sissy bar. what do others do about the rubber? leave em there?

They just pull off...You may want to heat them a little with a heat gun or hair dryer though. They have been there a while...

Old 02-27-2013 | 08:09 AM
NC_Canuck
Novice

Congratulations. Bike looks great.

Old 02-27-2013 | 08:20 AM
DougYITBOS
Tourer

Beautiful bike man!

Quick Reply: Finally got my first harley (pics)