General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my first harley (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013 | 10:33 AM
The Outlaw
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by InglouriousBasterd
^^^^ You posted this on page 4 back in February.

When I read your first post on page 1, the original post, I couldn't help but think GEEZ he's using a fairly big and a fairly heavy bike as a learner bike, I wonder how tall he is and I wonder how much he weighs.

As I read through the thread I came to find out that you're 5'11".

How much do you weigh (are you built like a hulk or do you have the body of a soccer player?).

And now, a month later in March, do you finally feel at home on your learner bike or do you feel that you have a little ways to go before you can say that you're fully adapted to it? I'm wondering if you still feel a little intimidated by the beast like you did back in February. What's your level of confidence at this point, 75%, 95%, a 100%?

Hey dirt bikes are light and be it in the air or on the ground they are easy to pitch around. I would imagine that your HD must have felt like an ARMY TANK coming straight off a dirt bike. And thanks for being honest and sharing your feelings with us about a time in your life where you felt a little intimidated by your first street bike.
im 5'11" just over 300lb. i've put over 300 miles on it since i bought it last month and have gotten pretty comfortable with it. as of right now the only thing still bothering me about it is not being able to put my feet flat on the road at a stop due to the sundowner seat being too tall.. im still not as comfortable on it as i am a dirt bike but i dont get nervouse when i get ready to ride it either.. mainly just when i see gravel or have to stop at a light on a steep hill. im hooked.

Old 03-23-2013 | 11:05 AM
mayneman
Cruiser

Nice lookin' bike!

I had a 99 FXDWG a few years back. I didn't like the Dyna as compares to the FXR, seemed to swim around on the Hwy. I have heard that the '06 + frame is much improved though, so you may not have these issues. The old style Wide Glide has that cool ole' chopper look going on..........I dig it.

Gremlin bells are nothing but voodoo witchcraft new-age hippy commie mumbo-jumbo feel-good crap. I cut them off of bikes I buy as well, & I drop-em in the garbage can. They will do nothing good for your abilities or circumstances. Cutting them off will do absolutely nothing bad either. You either can ride - or you can't. If you want one for a trendy fashion option or accessory, great, cuz that's all they really are.

-my-2-cents

Old 05-05-2013 | 09:38 AM
InglouriousBasterd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
im 5'11" just over 300lb. i've put over 300 miles on it since i bought it last month and have gotten pretty comfortable with it. as of right now the only thing still bothering me about it is not being able to put my feet flat on the road at a stop due to the sundowner seat being too tall.. im still not as comfortable on it as i am a dirt bike but i dont get nervouse when i get ready to ride it either.. mainly just when i see gravel or have to stop at a light on a steep hill. im hooked.
Right on, thanks for sharing. I hope all is going well for you. If you have any more wisdom or experiences that might help new riders get better on a bike, stuff that might help them overcome some of their fears and concerns, please don't ever hesitate to share it with us in this thread. Have a good one

Old 05-05-2013 | 09:44 AM
TacoMaster
Advanced

Congrats. It will change your life.

Old 05-05-2013 | 11:34 AM
The Outlaw
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by InglouriousBasterd
Right on, thanks for sharing. I hope all is going well for you. If you have any more wisdom or experiences that might help new riders get better on a bike, stuff that might help them overcome some of their fears and concerns, please don't ever hesitate to share it with us in this thread. Have a good one
since i bought the bike in feb i've just hit the 2000 mile mark without leaving the state. and im finally fully comfortable on the bike except when i see gravel on the road which when i asked some folks who have been riding for years and years "when does your ******* stop puckering up every time you see gravel?" their response was all the same "Ill let you know" lol

the msf course is a must, i had a blast and learned alot.

riding in boots helped alot with confidence also due to reaching the ground fully and they hang on the pegs better.

going from the aftermarket hd sundowner 2pc seat to a stock seat was the biggest help in confidence and comfort. if your too high or too far back on the bike you wont be comfortable or confident

bars werent tall enough by about 2 inches, and were too far back. i budgeted the money for some new pre wired 14" apes but decided to try rolling the bars i have forward a little bit, that made a huge difference and cost nothing

shitty show mirrors suck. i had some tiny tear drop shaped aftermarket mirrors on my bike that i was constatly looking in or adjusting, they were sweet looking mirrors but were useless. i spent $112 for a set of kuryakn mirrors and now instead of spending 4 seconds trying to see in the mirror i can glance over and be looking back in front of me in like a second flat.

luggage- i always hated the look of bags on a dyna but they allowed me to always be dressed comfortably even on days where i left the house at 28deg and it was 45 deg by the time i got home, or those 42 deg mornings that turn into 65deg afternoons. they also alowed me to put on alot more miles picking up things she forgot at the store. nothing like those 2 hour rides for milk or toilet paper. i use saddlebags for clothes and cargo, tool bag by headlight to empty my pockets into ever time i get on the bike and put shades and gloves in when i get off the bike, big sissy bar bag on long days of hitting pawn shops and flea markets and the days its supposed to rain but doesnt look like its going to. on those days i throw my fullface in and ride without worry and can throw the full face on if it starts raining,

the big sissy bar bag is also great for my other hobby's like photography or fly fishing. now i dont have to choose between hobby's on nice days. just pack the bike up and go.

and when you put the miles in and get the bike dirty that meguiars quick detailer or protectall quick wash works wonders and is available at walmart.

dont ride when your mad or not feeling it, calm down first, riding mad leads to riding wreckless.

and yes the bike has changed my life, im a much happier person every day. i actually watch the weather channel now. i was always antisocial but its hard to ride a nice bike and not talk to people. every time i ride i have atleast once conversation with a stranger, all sorts of people not just people on bikes.

my biggest problem since i got the bike was trying to explain to wifey why there is nothing i'd rather be doing at any given time than riding my bike. i've driven less than 75 miles in a car since febuary.

Old 05-05-2013 | 12:10 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
...tool bag by headlight to empty my pockets into ever time i get on the bike...
Emptying your pockets every time you get on the bike? If you decide you're going to stick with bike riding you'll want to find a permanent solution.

Old 05-05-2013 | 12:26 PM
The Outlaw
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Emptying your pockets every time you get on the bike? If you decide you're going to stick with bike riding you'll want to find a permanent solution.
I carry a ton of stuff in my pockets daily and it's actually pretty convenient because Im a more comfortable with empty pockets