General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my first harley (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013 | 01:34 AM
The Outlaw
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by deuce_streetbob
looks to be a harley sundowner, which is a very thick seat intended for long rides. there are other seats that would get you closer to the frame/ground and probably make you more comfortable and feel more in control. you don't necessarily have to get a harley branded seat either....plenty of good choices out there. nice bike though...get comfortable with her and ride safe!
care to recomend a cheap seat that would be lower and a bit farther forward? i could care less about the brand name as long as it wont fall apart on me.

the seat that is on it is definatly comfortable on the behind but i dont like not being able to have my feet flat when stopped and i dont like siting back as far as i do because i notice i do alot of scooting back and forth trying to find the sweet spot for comfort, confidence and being able to keep my feet planted on the pegs. it wouldnt bother me so much if it didnt make me swerve a little while adjusting.

Old 03-19-2013 | 03:35 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
care to recomend a cheap seat that would be lower and a bit farther forward? i could care less about the brand name as long as it wont fall apart on me.

the seat that is on it is definatly comfortable on the behind but i dont like not being able to have my feet flat when stopped and i dont like siting back as far as i do because i notice i do alot of scooting back and forth trying to find the sweet spot for comfort, confidence and being able to keep my feet planted on the pegs. it wouldnt bother me so much if it didnt make me swerve a little while adjusting.
give a shout out to mean city cycles a forum sponsor here, they can modify your current seat to move you forward and down a bit whiel retaining the comfort
www.meancitycycles.com

Old 03-20-2013 | 09:33 PM
The Outlaw
|
Tourer

i dropped the bike off today to have the 15,000 mile service done and oil in all 3 holes changed to syn3. i also asked that they go over the whole bike since it was bought used and i know so little about it....

i didn't even know the bars were aftermarket. i've wanted something a few inches taller and when i mentioned i may want taller bars put on he says "dont you like the chubby's?" i thought they were stock bars.

its great that it has alot of added aftermarket stuff on it but it kind of bugs me that i dunno whats stock and what isnt.

i also asked about installing the kyuraiakan or how ever you spell it cig lighter power port and he was all for it until he saw the sizes. apparently it doesn't fit my size bars.

it was an independent shop and the guy was very friendly and had no problem explaining everything to me in detail once i explained that i know nothing about harleys. he quoted me just under $200 for the basic 15k service with all 3 holes changed to syn3 and said if he finds anything that will add more than $25 to the price he'll call first.

i was planning to do most of the work on my own but wifey offered to pay for the 15k service for my bday present when she heard me mention it to a buddy. i gotta say though he may have a new loyal customer.

Old 03-21-2013 | 06:34 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member

it sopunds like you got yourself a good indy, stick with him as they are gettign ahrder to find. as for the power port, i assume its the dia of the bars that are causing it to not work. if you really want it then buy it and take the mountign clamp to a machine shop and see if they can either machine it to fit or make a new one to fit, might cost you an extra $40 but meh making it your own costs money LOL

i know syn3 is easier sometimes to get and often more affordable but i would recomend really looking into better oils as syn3 isnt all that great compared to soem of the other premium synthetics out there.

Old 03-21-2013 | 01:06 PM
The Outlaw
|
Tourer

will a stock seat from a 07 fxdl fit my 07 fxdwg?

Old 03-22-2013 | 01:24 AM
The Outlaw
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
give a shout out to mean city cycles a forum sponsor here, they can modify your current seat to move you forward and down a bit whiel retaining the comfort
www.meancitycycles.com
just emailed them. curious how long i'd be without a seat though. i've been riding almost daily even in 30deg temps. i guess it would be better to miss out on riding in the cold for a week or so rather than missing out on prime time summer riding for a week or so.

Old 03-22-2013 | 08:11 AM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member

Nice!!!

Old 03-22-2013 | 08:19 AM
Hatrick
Intermediate
Default Sweet

Looks Great Enjoy

Old 03-23-2013 | 03:16 AM
InglouriousBasterd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
then again its not like i've ridden it long and i admit im a bit intimidated. not by the power but by the weight and turning so i was a bit overwhelmed.
^^^^ You posted this on page 4 back in February.

When I read your first post on page 1, the original post, I couldn't help but think GEEZ he's using a fairly big and a fairly heavy bike as a learner bike, I wonder how tall he is and I wonder how much he weighs.

As I read through the thread I came to find out that you're 5'11".

How much do you weigh (are you built like a hulk or do you have the body of a soccer player?).

And now, a month later in March, do you finally feel at home on your learner bike or do you feel that you have a little ways to go before you can say that you're fully adapted to it? I'm wondering if you still feel a little intimidated by the beast like you did back in February. What's your level of confidence at this point, 75%, 95%, a 100%?

Hey dirt bikes are light and be it in the air or on the ground they are easy to pitch around. I would imagine that your HD must have felt like an ARMY TANK coming straight off a dirt bike. And thanks for being honest and sharing your feelings with us about a time in your life where you felt a little intimidated by your first street bike.

Last edited by InglouriousBasterd; 03-23-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2013 | 03:25 AM
InglouriousBasterd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Helrazor
just remember Pavement hurts alot worse than dirt.. 600lb bikes dont land like a cr250
600lbs? Wet? I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong but that number sounds a little on the low side to me. I was thinking more like somewhere between 700 and 800 pounds.

Last edited by InglouriousBasterd; 03-23-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally got my first harley (pics)