General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn that Hurts (Final)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:56 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Damn that Hurts (Final)

Well, it turns out that the young man who pulled out in front of me last week had even less insurance coverage than the state minimum. Florida's no-fault insurance laws require a minimum of $10,000 property & $10,000 bodily injury coverage. The law allows a person to waive the $10,000 bodily injury coverage if they can document at least that amount in the bank. I have learned that they almost never ask for that documentation. He only had the property damage coverage listed on his policy, and Progressive is not positive that even that coverage was valid at the time of the accident. The bottom line is that I will in all probability not see a red cent from this accident. Policies like this are usually issued to people with no real assets. They don't care if you try to sue them for lack of coverage, because they don't have a pot to pi$$ in. Lawyers will generally not pursue a case like this, (mine included)because the payday is just not there. Can't blame them for that. On a brighter note, Progressive insurance gave me a check yesterday that will basically pay me for what I laid out for the bike when it left the showroom floor. The only loss I will be facing, as far as the bike is concerned,is the $3,000 I paid for all the extras. Recovering any money for medical bills, loss of work, and pain & sufferingjust ain't gonna happen.I may take him to small claims court at some point down the road to try and recover what little I can. Hell, if he has to pay me $50 a month for the next 10 years, at least he will be accountable for this accident to some degree.

Today I am a whole lot wiser when it comes to no-fault insurance laws here in Florida. If I end up replacing the bike, I will make sure that I have uninsured/underinsured coverage on my policy. Here in South Florida, there are thousands of drivers out on the road with little or NO insurance, and the chances increase everyday that you will end up exchanging paint with one of them. And if you do, you can easily find yourself in a financial hole with NO recourse. These kinds of people could care less about insuring their 12 year old rusty brown Corolla. "Go ahead and sue me, I ain't got nothin you can take, bitch!" If you are ticketed with an accident in Florida, and they find out you have no insurance, they will suspend your license for 3 years. Oh, but wait, all you have to do to keep your license is go down an purchase an insurance policy and bingo, here's your license back!If they're not concerned about motoring around town with no insurance, they probably aren't too worried aboutnot having adriver's license either!

It's now painfully clear to methatI now have to buy insurance not only for myself, but also for the increasing number of people out on the road with veryfew brain cells, andeven fewer assetsor insurance policies. Of course, if you only plan on getting hit by a Mercedes or a Jaguar, none of what I've written applies to you. It's been7 dayssince my accident, and I'm getting better everyday. Life is good. Please ride safe!

DJK

[IMG]local://upfiles/19578/274A1B16C8AB451BA3C1EA0EDB5169BF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-10-2007, 11:26 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Damn that Hurts (Final)

That sucks, that just causes problems for the rest of us that are trying to do the right thing. good luck, the sob should have to pay your medical bills at least. What if he'd killed you? Killed by a sob that shouldn't even have the right to be on the road!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:31 AM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You should get to keep his car and drivers liscence until paid in full.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Budz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going through the same for a car crash. I either pony up the money to cover the idiots and freeloaders or eat the loss. WTF!!!

Another argument to tighten the borders.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:35 AM
UmpOne
Advanced

Sorry to hear the rest of the story and the way it worked out. If you go after the other driver in small claims do it within a one year time period. Can you pull any of the extras off your bike before the insurance company gets it?

Old 02-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand.
ALabama, as much as I love the state, is totally retarded when it comes to insurance, inspections, etc.
No vehicle inspections - Drive any POC down the road with junk falling off it.
Insurance?
Insurance?
Here is the deal. Supposedly, I said supposedly, you are supposed to have insurance or not be able to get a tag for your car.

Here is the procedure when you go to get your tag.

1. Wait in line for an hour
2. Get called up - finally
3. Present your documents
4. Sign a box that says "Do you have liability insurance"?

OF COURSE everyone signs yes. DUH.
Around 60% actually have insurance.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Old 02-10-2007, 11:37 AM
69Shark
Tourer

Yeah. That sucks. I've been rear ended twice here in Seattle area where insurance is required by law. First time the guys insurance covered me completely and was even in my opinion a bit extravagant in the value of the car that was totaled. No injuries.

The second time was some Jacka$$ not paying attention. Not only did the guy NOT have insureance AS REQUIRED BY LAW the officer involved failed to even write the guy a ticket. Guess he showed an insurance card but the expiration date was left unchecked. Go figure.

Well either way, the moral is to COVER YOUR A$$. I like to think everyone is a nice law abiding citizen but that clearly is not the case.

Best of luck and I hope for you a quick and successfull recovery.

Scott

Old 02-10-2007, 11:45 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain

I HATE the Florida no-fault insurance law. It's completely illogical to me.

I'm going to go check my current Geico coverage now and make sure my rear end is sufficiently covered.

Glad you're on the mend, and glad you're getting your bike back, in a sense!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:48 AM
UncleMike
Road Master

Sorry to hear of your situation, just another case that shows it is the people who are honest and responsible that end up getting the sh*tty end of the stick. Really getting tired of this crap, if you have no insurance which is illegal you should be made to pay some how or go to friggin jail...

Old 02-10-2007, 11:54 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should revoke the puke's license. Minimum off driving 1 year, and only get it back by purchasing a 10-year insurance policy (SR22) that they can make payments on forever. Any waiver in insurance should result in immediate re-revocation, this time permanently. And any attempt to drive illegally should be 10 yrs in jail the first time, 20 the next, life the 3rd.

You know this POS will hit someone again. No consequences, much like when illegals hit people.

Quick Reply: Damn that Hurts (Final)