Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New or maybe not, Self Service tip...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New or maybe not, Self Service tip...

I was changing my oil Sunday Night, when I got a flash of errr...Brilliance? I have fought for years with attempting to fill the Primary with lube without a mess. This time around, I refilled the engine, put the Mobil I Gear Lube into the tranny, and as I was attempting to devise a new method/device for pouring the oil into the tight area of the clutch inspection/derby cover, I thought...why not use a funnel to pour the primary oil into the empty Gear Lube bottle and then use the funnel-like cap of the Gear lube bottle to squirt the primary oil into the tight opening between the derby access cover and the clutch? It worked like a charm until the primary was nearly full and the gear lube bottle "farted" and that splashed a little oil onto the primary. Other than that it did really well. If this is old hat, I hate I wasted you time, If it ain't, give it a shot. Noone had to sit on the bike to keep it up right and no odd device had to be fashioned to slide the oil into the tight squeeze between the clutch and the primary. A new one for me.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Roses
I was changing my oil Sunday Night, when I got a flash of errr...Brilliance? I have fought for years with attempting to fill the Primary with lube without a mess. This time around, I refilled the engine, put the Mobil I Gear Lube into the tranny, and as I was attempting to devise a new method/device for pouring the oil into the tight area of the clutch inspection/derby cover, I thought...why not use a funnel to pour the primary oil into the empty Gear Lube bottle and then use the funnel-like cap of the Gear lube bottle to squirt the primary oil into the tight opening between the derby access cover and the clutch? It worked like a charm until the primary was nearly full and the gear lube bottle "farted" and that splashed a little oil onto the primary. Other than that it did really well. If this is old hat, I hate I wasted you time, If it ain't, give it a shot. Noone had to sit on the bike to keep it up right and no odd device had to be fashioned to slide the oil into the tight squeeze between the clutch and the primary. A new one for me.
Sounds like you found a good 'home grown' solution. Now, if you had just posted this a week earlier I wouldn't have had to purchase the 'primary funnel' at the dealer. lol

It's a small plastic funnel that snaps onto the edge of the primary. I haven't tried it yet so I can't report on it's effectiveness.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM
dking909
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There you go.
Now you are using your head instead of just giving it.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by dking909
There you go.
Now you are using your head instead of just giving it.
What the does that mean???

Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always just used a funnel and go slow poring when the level is near the edge.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Deucedog
Sounds like you found a good 'home grown' solution. Now, if you had just posted this a week earlier I wouldn't have had to purchase the 'primary funnel' at the dealer. lol

It's a small plastic funnel that snaps onto the edge of the primary. I haven't tried it yet so I can't report on it's effectiveness.
I have one. They work pretty well.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 189 Posts

I have one. It works well.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:22 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,611 Likes on 2,523 Posts

It's a small plastic funnel that snaps onto the edge of the primary. I haven't tried it yet so I can't report on it's effectiveness

I have the little orange thing. Works flawlessly!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:59 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of those pumps that is made for filling the lower unit on an outboard with gear oil. I found it works perfect for filling the fluids on the bike. It screws on the top of a gear lube bottle or an oil bottle and has a clear hose so you can see the fluid run through as you pump. No muss no fuss.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 AM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,042 Likes on 549 Posts

Reading the description I'm puzzled as to what it means by " Hands free filling" what do you use to get the lube into the special funnel ,I guess maybe your dog can pour it in for ya

Quick Reply: New or maybe not, Self Service tip...