General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

half helmet with visor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 AM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default half helmet with visor

I'm wondering if any one has one of the half helmets with the built in drop down visor like this http://www.leatherup.com/p/Outlaw-He...et/165218.html

Thinking of getting something like this for short trips but was wondering about the effectiveness of the drop down visor. I wear perscription glasses, and its bad enough to where I can't get anytype of wrap around percription sunglasses, and was wondering if the drop down visor would keep the wind out of my eyes and keep them from drying out.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I don't have one but I like it. The drop down would come in handy when you're going into the sun. I wear glasses too, so I know your concerns in that area.

I have a face shield that I move up and down when I'm riding at slow speeds because it fogs up.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Viking Bags
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tfalcon
I'm wondering if any one has one of the half helmets with the built in drop down visor like this http://www.leatherup.com/p/Outlaw-He...et/165218.html

Thinking of getting something like this for short trips but was wondering about the effectiveness of the drop down visor. I wear perscription glasses, and its bad enough to where I can't get anytype of wrap around percription sunglasses, and was wondering if the drop down visor would keep the wind out of my eyes and keep them from drying out.
I have a modular scorpion helmet that has a sunvisor built in. when the suns out it blocks well, but the wind does get under it at higher speeds. with the face guard down its perfect, well sometimes hits my nose on the drop but it works. I think we have one of these you pictured in the shop, I will check and give you a, drove to lunch with it on, review tomorrow.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:02 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Bell Pit Boss. I can wear sun glasses & still use the drop-down visor

Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Scorpion Exo-100. One of the other posters has that one too I think.

Plus: Not too expensive. You can get one on ebay for around $80. Several colors to choose from. The drop-down visor is very handy. I ride with a windshield most of the time and even without sunglasses, I don't have much of a problem with eyes watering from wind. The bill helps keep direct sunlight out of your eyes, like a ball cap. You can readily get replacement liner and visor (several color tints).

Minus: The bill catches the wind pretty hard. If you're riding without a windshield and you don't have the chin strap very tight, the wind pushes the helmet back on your head. It is removeable though. The lock for the visor is easily worn. I can't remember which switch setting is locked or unlocked anymore. The visor seems to operate up and down regardless. In any case, there's enough resistance that it doesn't fall down or move in the wind.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
tfalcon
Tourer

I have seen some reviews on the scorpion one saying that the visor is pretty close to your face when it's down. I always ride with a full face, and for some reason I can't ride with the sheild open. I dunno if it's cause of the chin bar directing all the air right into my eyes and nose, but I can't see or breathe to well with it open. But I have no problems riding a dirtbike without a helmet, so I'm guessing it's the helmets fault.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Litl D
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a half helmet with a drop down visor, and I'd say it's marginally effective. Mine has four clicks (positions) from fully retracted to fully down.

Half way down, (third position) helps as additional sun protection (over the sunglasses I normally wear), when riding into direct sunlight. All the way down tends to bump my nose - not entirely offensive, just "there".

I wouldn't rely upon this visor without glasses underneath, nor does it really help any in rain. I have no reason not to continue wearing this one, but I wouldn't buy another solely for the drop down visor feature.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen some reviews on the scorpion one saying that the visor is pretty close to your face when it's down. I always ride with a full face, and for some reason I can't ride with the sheild open. I dunno if it's cause of the chin bar directing all the air right into my eyes and nose, but I can't see or breathe to well with it open. But I have no problems riding a dirtbike without a helmet, so I'm guessing it's the helmets fault.
I wouldn't say the visor is really that close to your face. The bottom of it comes down to just the tip of my nose. It's not bad for a good cheap DOT half helmet with a built in visor. My local H-D shop sells them. Check and see if your local does and go try one on.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Room for the visor seriously adds to the mushroom effect of the helmet, so I just go with prescription wrap-around glasses with foam edges.

Also, last half helm I tried with a slide out visor nearly cut my nose off.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM
tfalcon
Tourer

Originally Posted by Benway
Room for the visor seriously adds to the mushroom effect of the helmet, so I just go with prescription wrap-around glasses with foam edges.

Also, last half helm I tried with a slide out visor nearly cut my nose off.
I wish I could go with the perception wrap arounds but my astigmatism is too strong and my lenses can't have any kind of bend in them.

Quick Reply: half helmet with visor