General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

half helmet with visor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:26 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,973 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by tfalcon
I wish I could go with the perception wrap arounds but my astigmatism is too strong and my lenses can't have any kind of bend in them.
I wear "glass-over" goggles that I bought for around 25 bucks at the dealer; the strap can be taken off to use as glasses. Got a pair of tinted and a pair of amber. Works for me...

Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Couple of things here. First, Wiley X has prescription wraparounds with snap in foam inserts. I ride an EG so don't use the inserts unless out west in a dust/sand storm.

Two, your better off with a higher end half hat with the standard three snaps on top. This will allow you to buy a 3 snap bubble shield at any dealer you find. That helmet/visor does not look like much protection in the rain.

Any helmet that does not use the standard 3 or 5 snaps is just plain stupid. Harley is known for making useless helmets. If you do any amount of real riding sooner or later you will need a shield from another brand dealer. And I always have a spare, but $#!+ happens.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,450 Likes on 2,040 Posts

I had one in a full-face and it hit my nose in turbulence. I guess it would be ok unless you've got a nose like "Klinger".

Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM
goodenough06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half helmet w/ visor

tfalcon, I've got the HD version. The part # is HD-S1V. Its a visor (thats removeable) Half Helmet with the eyepro shield that comes down in 3 positions that works pretty good. It doesn't give me any trouble hitting my nose when all the way down. I wear Oakley M Frame glasses which are pretty big and with the shield down I still have about an 1" - 2" in between. Like others that mentioned it, if you don't have the strap tight at high speeds, the wind will move it a bit back on your head but hey, taking the bill off can compensate for most of that. Also at high speeds the wind does tend to push up into the facial but all you gotta do is tilt your head forward a little to fix that. Overall its a great dome cover and I'd recommend it. I included a couple pics if you need em. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails half helmet with visor-dsc02251.jpg   half helmet with visor-dsc02253.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I tried it and it wasn't so bad. Ended up not liking it as it gave you a HUGE mushroom head. To each their own, but I didn't think it was all that great compared to just wearing a good pair of sunglasses or goggles.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have the exo-100 scorpion and love it. I wouldn't feel comfortable using the visor without glasses as bugs and debris can still get in. I use the visor more for the freeway and when I'm driving in the sun. Two shades are better then one. Scorpion makes a great helmet but buy 1 size up...they run small.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 PM
goodenough06
Intermediate

Oh yea, these guys are right about the mushroom head appearance!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:53 PM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hdgzr
I wear "glass-over" goggles that I bought for around 25 bucks at the dealer; the strap can be taken off to use as glasses. Got a pair of tinted and a pair of amber. Works for me...
You wear these over your glasses?

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
Couple of things here. First, Wiley X has prescription wraparounds with snap in foam inserts. I ride an EG so don't use the inserts unless out west in a dust/sand storm.
As I said earlier, I cannot get those, or any wrap arounds in my prescription. Trust me, I've tried.

Originally Posted by goodenough06
tfalcon, I've got the HD version. The part # is HD-S1V. Its a visor (thats removeable) Half Helmet with the eyepro shield that comes down in 3 positions that works pretty good. It doesn't give me any trouble hitting my nose when all the way down. I wear Oakley M Frame glasses which are pretty big and with the shield down I still have about an 1" - 2" in between. Like others that mentioned it, if you don't have the strap tight at high speeds, the wind will move it a bit back on your head but hey, taking the bill off can compensate for most of that. Also at high speeds the wind does tend to push up into the facial but all you gotta do is tilt your head forward a little to fix that. Overall its a great dome cover and I'd recommend it. I included a couple pics if you need em. Hope this helps.
Cool thanks for the pics. I'm gonna have to check that one out the next time I go to the dealer.

Not really too worried about the mushroomhead effect. I would only use it for around town trips, prob would never get on the interstate with it. I was just curious if the drop down visor actually worked. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 PM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain

I have one of the Harley ones and love it.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Not all drop down visors are created equal. Some do not pull down far enough and are essentially useless. My wife and I each have an HJC IS-2 and we both like them. I only use the visor when it rains, but my wife uses it all the time and likes it. Here it is: http://www.leatherup.com/p/HJC-Half-...met/95161.html By the way, the H-D one is just an HJC IS-2 with Harley logos (and a premium price) added to it.

Quick Reply: half helmet with visor