General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summons for no DOT sticker!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 07:20 PM
bajag2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summons for no DOT sticker!

I was off this morning at 7:30 to a Poker run at my local HD dealer in Orange County NY.
Five miles from my house my local police pulled me over. He asked me do I know why he
was pulling me over and I said "no". He told me for not having a DOT sticker.
He gave me a summons for a non "DOT" helmet. Ironically the second stop on the ride was at
a fire station in my town, about 200 bikes and at least a third of riders like me with skull helmets.
Two of the local police officers (not the same one) where there socializing with the riders.

I was even more upset at my own local police dept.

Anybody getting summoned for their non "DOT" helmets?

Old 08-14-2005, 07:23 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Summons for no DOT sticker!

That's not a good sign for us riders that wear non dot helmets, hope it's not the begining of something.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 PM
fxdxsteve
Banned

I got a ticket in fremont ca. about a year ago it cost me $77 but it wasn't a moving violation so no points still sucked though

Old 08-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

You can buy DOT stickers. They don't mean anything anyway. The DOT helmets don't get tested anymore than the skull helmets. The helmet company pays to have their helmets DOT approved.

Terry

Old 08-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bajag2

for not having a DOT sticker.
Bullshit is what that is. Few if any helmets have a DOT sticker on them.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

Man I would fight the crap out of that ticket - There has got to be a way to win - I have a chrome Harley half helmet that I took the DOT sticker off of - Was riding around Orange County just the other day and even stopped in the OCC store - Saw a lot of bikers on the road and no one was bothering anyone - You got dinged by a LEO who was looking for any reason at all to give you a ticket - I'll bet the rest of the guys at the station house think this guy is ball buster

Old 08-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-14-2005, 10:28 PM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for starters if I'm not mistaken (could be but don't think so), helmet violations are a secondary offense in NY. Meaning they cannot stop you for that offense.

Second I would fight this ticket. Ask the JP to produce a list of Department of Transportation approved helmets (they cannot it doesn't exist). The Law states you must wear a helmet that is approved by the Department of Transportation, but no such thing exists. The sticker simply means that particular model/manufacture helmet has undergone testing to meet the DOT "standards," NOT that it is DOT approved. I hope you see where I'm going here.

Regardless if helmet violations are a secondary offense and he didn't pull you for something else you'll beat it on that.

Hope this helps............. T

Old 08-14-2005, 10:57 PM
bajag2
Intermediate

I appreciate the advise.

That's why I was so PO'd at the officer. If I was speeding and he also gave me the helmet
ticket I woudn't be so upset. But for pulling me over just for the helmet sucks.

Funny thing I was meeting 3 riders at the HD dealer, all three are cops. One who is a sargent took my
ticket and will be calling my local police to see if he can get it squashed.

My local police is the Warwick, NY police dept. What bothers me is that the next time I go out will he see
me again and pull me over. If this was a town miles away I wouldn't care so much. Warwick is a very small town.
I also have a HD half helmet but I like using my beanie.

If I end up going to court I will be fighting it.

ORIGINAL: teach

Well for starters if I'm not mistaken (could be but don't think so), helmet violations are a secondary offense in NY. Meaning they cannot stop you for that offense.

Second I would fight this ticket. Ask the JP to produce a list of Department of Transportation approved helmets (they cannot it doesn't exist). The Law states you must wear a helmet that is approved by the Department of Transportation, but no such thing exists. The sticker simply means that particular model/manufacture helmet has undergone testing to meet the DOT "standards," NOT that it is DOT approved. I hope you see where I'm going here.

Regardless if helmet violations are a secondary offense and he didn't pull you for something else you'll beat it on that.

Hope this helps............. T

Old 08-14-2005, 11:13 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Couple thoughts here. Does NY require a DOT helmet? If so, does the statute state that the sticker has to be on the helmet? It probably doesn't, but it's something to check out.

Next, if NY wants you to wear a DOT helmet, is your beanie one? If not (putting on flame-proof suit now) then what have you got to gripe about? You took a chance and got nailed. Hopefully, it is a secondary offense, as Teach said. Then you might be able to beat it. But if you have to go before some small town nickle-dime judge, get a lawyer. And use your computer skills wisely - research the law, and make your own DOT sticker!

Quick Reply: Summons for no DOT sticker!