General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summons for no DOT sticker!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 12:59 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Summons for no DOT sticker!

Am I just naive or what? I have the understanding that if the law of the state prohibits use of a non DOT approved helmet, then you HAVE to wear one with the approved sticker. If you don't wear one, then you are comitting an offence, and take your chances.

I am not a rocket surgeon, but...isn't that the chance you take?

Around here you can get pulled over for not wearing an approved helmet just the same as not wearing your seatbelt in your vehicle. If you have a helmet with a sticker that is bogus, that's a worse offence than not wearing a helmet at all.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:39 PM
brianseay
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just wanted to say one thing, well maybe two. I used to love riding without a helmet in the states where we could and wearing the beanie in others. But after Our crash in Myrtle Beach back in may you will not catch me riding without a good helmet. I still have not gone back to work yet as a result of my head injuries. If i am lucky i may get to return back in october. The wife and I had a hard crash, totalled out a brand new 05 Ultra Classic. Had 2500 miles on the bike. Just bought in february. We were moving at 60 mph when the crash occurred. Bike went end over end. Neither one of us were wearing a helmet. I have broken bones in the left orbital area and my sinus area. I also have a subdural hemotoma on the right side of the brain. I still believe in a riders freedom of choice, but I know what I will be wearing when I ride again........My other injuries were a broken left shoulder, torn spleen, cracked ribs, bruised lung and plenty of road rash. The wife had to have surgery on her left arm to repair the broken bone in it. She will have problems with it from now on. Just be safe while riding, I know we will try to. Also, I have had 25yrs riding experience, this was my 1st time down on pavement ( i do not count dirt bikes LOL) So it can happen to ANYONE at ANYTIME.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:18 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Good point Brianseay!

I also am an avid believer in wearing PROPER protective gear. I have lost one very good friend because he was not wearing one, and recently almost lost another friend to collision with a vehicle. Luckily, though, this time, this friend WAS wearing his helmet. Although, it came off during his tumble, his initial impact was cushioned somewhat. Although he did sustain some head injuries and some brain damage, it could have been far worse. Had he not been wearing one, he would never have survived.

Thought of the day....
What's worse...Praying to LIVE
or Praying to DIE

Old 08-23-2005, 05:37 PM
brianseay
Tourer

Bikergirl40, Hope your friend recovers fully from his tumble. It is a hard lesson to learn, the pros and cons on helmet safety. I was one of the biggest opponents against the helmet laws. I thought they really sucked. But as of May 15, 2005 you will not catch me on a bike without one. That is my opinion only. I am not trying to knock the riders that choose not to wear one, But from a personal experience, and a costly one at that. I will always wear one regardless of what state I am in.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:42 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Brianseay:
I couldn't agree with you more. I often get ribbed about wearing my helmet, in areas where it's not law, even in 100+ temps. As much as I would like to pitch the stink'in thing, my defense is: I don't wear it for ME, I wear it for my FAMILY
...and that's all it takes.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:29 PM
bajag2
Intermediate

Yes its illegal to wear the helmet I was wearing. And as the law states I
deserve the summons. My issue with being pulled over only for this. I woiuld guess
at least half of Harly riders in my NY area wear beanies. It is accepted as going 1 mile over
the speed limit, not going 100 feet while signaling before changing lanes or Jay walking.
All these offenses can result in a summons. If I leave my garbage can in front of my house for more
than 24 hours I can also get a summons. Collecting money for the town and being pressured by sargents
to issue tickets is BS.

My friends and family are LEO's and they all said its a BS ticket. He was parked and I never saw him.
He never looked at my helmet after pulling me over. I took it off and had it on my lap. I have zero stickers on
it which probably gave it away.

I wore my beanie on my local country streets and my DOT helmets when going on the Highway. It doesn't choke me
and feels much better. I respect everyone's own personal opinion with their helmet choices. Many people would consider anyone
who gets on a MC a huge risk. Climbing on and riding the bike is a much greater risk than a helmet choice.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:48 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bajag2

Yes its illegal to wear the helmet I was wearing.
So, that means you got out of the ticket...correct.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:11 AM
bajag2
Intermediate

My buddy (LEO) called the officer and he agreed to drop the charge.
I'm going to plead not guilty and he is suppose to drop it on my court date.

My beanie day's are over as I don't want to wear it again in my town after the officer was
nice enough to drop the charge.

ORIGINAL: Johnny

ORIGINAL: bajag2

Yes its illegal to wear the helmet I was wearing.
So, that means you got out of the ticket...correct.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

There are a lot of BS charges that the police can ticket you for. I am sure they make those up, to empower the police to charge you with "something" if they don't want to look like they are harassing you. After all, even it's bogus, and you commit the offence, YOU are in the wrong. There are a lot of officers out there that don't want to bother with the paperwork on this stuff, but then again, there are those who love it.

Point in case: My husband was working with on one our trucks (which primarily works on local dirt roads and has our business name splattered all over it) got pulled over and a ticket for a dirty licence plate....go figure! He was fit to be tied...I can tell you that for free! But, nontheless paid the ticket.

Even though my husband, took the ticket (somewhat disgruntled, of course), the officer woundn't even let him clean the plate. My husbands argument was, if it was an offence to drive with a dirty plate, then he wanted to rectify it, right there on the spot. The officer threatened him with resisting if he didn't get in the truck and drive away immediately. Can you believe this!!!

This officer, happened to have a major attitude and happened to have been transferred here due to one-too-many conflicts at his last post, and happened to have been transferred from here recently, too. He is still working ...somewhere...Need I say more?

We have a small community mentality here. The problem we face, when fighting a ticket is, if you take an officer to court, then he can really make your life miserable...and each member of your family. I can't say it happens all the time, but I have seen it happen. When dealing with power hungry jerks like this particular guy, it would turn really ugly! Just easier to pay the ticket.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:27 PM
bajag2
Intermediate

Bikergirl40,

That summons must take the cake! I agree with you whole heartily, our anger at first must be controled
due to the ramifications. My wife tells me the same thing. The ramifications will be far worse than the ticket if the officer
has it in for you. I'm also in a very small town in upstate NY with my family to consider.

All in all maybe this is a blessing in disguise for me to wear a legal and safer helmet.

be safe,

John

ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

There are a lot of BS charges that the police can ticket you for. I am sure they make those up, to empower the police to charge you with "something" if they don't want to look like they are harassing you. After all, even it's bogus, and you commit the offence, YOU are in the wrong. There are a lot of officers out there that don't want to bother with the paperwork on this stuff, but then again, there are those who love it.

Point in case: My husband was working with on one our trucks (which primarily works on local dirt roads and has our business name splattered all over it) got pulled over and a ticket for a dirty licence plate....go figure! He was fit to be tied...I can tell you that for free! But, nontheless paid the ticket.

Even though my husband, took the ticket (somewhat disgruntled, of course), the officer woundn't even let him clean the plate. My husbands argument was, if it was an offence to drive with a dirty plate, then he wanted to rectify it, right there on the spot. The officer threatened him with resisting if he didn't get in the truck and drive away immediately. Can you believe this!!!

This officer, happened to have a major attitude and happened to have been transferred here due to one-too-many conflicts at his last post, and happened to have been transferred from here recently, too. He is still working ...somewhere...Need I say more?

We have a small community mentality here. The problem we face, when fighting a ticket is, if you take an officer to court, then he can really make your life miserable...and each member of your family. I can't say it happens all the time, but I have seen it happen. When dealing with power hungry jerks like this particular guy, it would turn really ugly! Just easier to pay the ticket.

Quick Reply: Summons for no DOT sticker!