General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summons for no DOT sticker!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Lowman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Summons for no DOT sticker!

I couldn't agree more Teach - those are probably the best DOT certified beanie helmets available, and once you have one - they can pull you over all they want - it's a lgal helmet in any state - period.

JB

Old 08-15-2005, 11:53 AM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instigator!!

You got the answer to that question, Skip? I'd like to know why it's illegal. Never heard anything like that.
ORIGINAL: pilot1996

ORIGINAL: pococj

Slightly off-topic, but didja ever wonder why it's illegal to wear a helmet in a cage?
Didn't know it was...would be worth wearing in a helmet law state, just to take to court when they arrest you.

Mac

Old 08-15-2005, 07:56 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

Slightly off-topic, but didja ever wonder why it's illegal to wear a helmet in a cage?
Didn't know it was...would be worth wearing in a helmet law state, just to take to court when they arrest you.

Mac
I don't know if it is in all states, but it is, or at least used to be, in quite a few. I was told it was because the helmets restricted hearing and vision. Imagine that!

Just looked it up on the TXDPS site, and couldn't find it. Gonna make THE MAMA wear her helmet in the car tomottow.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:00 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Hey John, hear anything about your ticket today?

Old 08-15-2005, 10:24 PM
71 shovelhead
Cruiser

bajag2, if the cop is trying to write someone he's gonna find a reason, I guess you went on Maroney's run on last sunday. It was too hot for me, I was home by noon. A couple of years back the Jersey helmet law was challenged by some one that was popped just like you were,and a judge ruled that the helmet law was not enforceable because it was too vague about what was a legal helmet, so we didn't have a helmet law for a couple of months [8D]

Old 08-15-2005, 10:35 PM
bajag2
Intermediate

I haven't heard back from the friend who took my ticket. He is going to
call the station and see what he can do.

Yes I was on the Moroney Poker run. We went out at 8:30 and by 1:00 it was
super hot! Got rained on for a while but enjoyed the food and friends after a great ride.

My court date is August 31st, luckily its not to far. Many riders from all over NY, NJ and PA come
to my area to ride. It would suck to travel hours to get to the court here.

Hey John, hear anything about your ticket today?

Old 08-15-2005, 10:49 PM
71 shovelhead
Cruiser

the other thing about N.Y is sometimes you can plead it down ,I got popped in Tuxedo 55 in a 40 and I got off with a speedo not working , same fine but no points. GOOD LUCK I don't know what the fall is for no/unauthorized helmet in N.Y., in Jersey I think its only like $15 and no moving violation, that is unless they changed it [&:]

Old 08-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The REAL shame of it all is that crap like this feeds the, IMO, high disrespect level of cops in this country. Look up the crime rate statistics of LEO's compared to the general population. You won't feel "protected and served".

Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 PM
bajag2
Intermediate

I also got popped for speeding 50/35 in Tuxedo a year ago in my car. They reduced it to a no - seat belt.
One of my other cop friends told me they do that so they collect all the money to the town. If its a speeding
ticket most of the money goes to the state.

Wolf, I was thinking the exact same thing. After 911, cops were more respected again and the public had viewed
them with a much higher regard.

Now with tickets like this, stopping traffic constantly on the way home from the city checking inspection stickers
and hiding in zone traps where it goes from 55 to 30 is causing the public to lose respect for them.

All they think about is collecting money for the town and not serving the public!

Old 08-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen bro'

ORIGINAL: bajag2

I also got popped for speeding 50/35 in Tuxedo a year ago in my car. They reduced it to a no - seat belt.
One of my other cop friends told me they do that so they collect all the money to the town. If its a speeding
ticket most of the money goes to the state.

Wolf, I was thinking the exact same thing. After 911, cops were more respected again and the public had viewed
them with a much higher regard.

Now with tickets like this, stopping traffic constantly on the way home from the city checking inspection stickers
and hiding in zone traps where it goes from 55 to 30 is causing the public to lose respect for them.

All they think about is collecting money for the town and not serving the public!

Quick Reply: Summons for no DOT sticker!