General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The good

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:28 PM
gnewman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The good

This is a general seat question, not really specific to models I guess...

I'm getting monkey butt and mid back pain as early as 45 min into a ride.
I am 6'2" and 220lbs. Not overweight, just a fairly big guy I guess. My seat has me a bit forward to the tank than I like or should be. I'm trying to decide how to fix this problem.

Do I?
1. Send me stock seat off to mean city cycles and have it redone with memory foam to my specs..
2. I've played around with the idea of moving to a spring seat/pogo. I've heard some say they are more comfortable and others say they are less comfortable.
3. Do I shop out a C&C or mustang replacement.

I want to take some road trips starting as early as April but there's no way my back will take this current config. I'll be crippled.

Currently riding a 05 springer classic with stock heritage seat.

Any input on seats, pogo, spring seats etc is appreciated.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 PM
gnewman
Road Captain

Not sure what the hell happened to the thread title. That's it what I typed. Can I change it?

Old 02-09-2013, 06:38 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't tell you anything about the seats you mentioned but I do recommend MCC if you choose that route. Call first and tell them what you want. They did a great job on mine and I'm very happy. Excellent customer service.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

The seat probably needs work being that you're a tall dude but I had to pull my handlebars back a bit so I wasn't so damned hunched over. I would like them a little further back but it helped my back tremendously.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

I think you're too big for that bike. Some bigger guys can ride them all day. I can't ( 6'2" 230 lbs.) I'm all scrunched up.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Bilco60
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had same problem with my stock seat. 6'4" here. Had Bar industries make one for me. They took my measurements and bike model. Took them a week to make seat. Huge difference in comfort. Should have done it sooner.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM
gnewman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TI06
I can't tell you anything about the seats you mentioned but I do recommend MCC if you choose that route. Call first and tell them what you want. They did a great job on mine and I'm very happy. Excellent customer service.
They are an hour ride from me but doubt they want walk ins. Lol
How long were you down and how do they get it right with a mail in service?

Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 PM
gnewman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
The seat probably needs work being that you're a tall dude but I had to pull my handlebars back a bit so I wasn't so damned hunched over. I would like them a little further back but it helped my back tremendously.
I have beach bars on now and can lean back a bit before I'm stretched out. Right now, with the way the seat has me so far forward, my elbows are bent at near 90 degrees.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilco60
I had same problem with my stock seat. 6'4" here. Had Bar industries make one for me. They took my measurements and bike model. Took them a week to make seat. Huge difference in comfort. Should have done it sooner.
I think you meant bar enterprises. website is www.harleyseats.com I never heard of them til now. Thanks for posting this. Looks like their prices are very reasonable. How's the craftsmanship of your seat. Good quality?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm 6'0 215 and was getting lower back pain with my stock seat on my sporty. A lot of folks on here recommended the mustang vintage solo wide seat. I bought one and the pain and numb *** has gone way. Huge difference. Got one for 238 off of amazon.

Quick Reply: The good