General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
yandeltx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Police Bikes

First of all I live in Oklahoma for what it's worth. My question is, how often do "Police" bikes come up for sale, I am talking about the ones that were never put into service? Can the public buy them? Just curious.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

The dealer by me has a few he puts on the floor every now and then. They don't come with red flashing lites or sirens, but the rest is the same as a road king except for the hockey puck saddle bag lids. I had a '96 cop bike and it was a comfortable ride. That pogo/ air ride seat makes long rides a pleasure although most change it out for the typical seat.,,

Old 02-08-2013, 02:55 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have seen several new RK Police bikes for sale here in Tulsa. Might be wrong but I think they have to be in the dealer's inventory for a certain amount of time before they can be sold for other than LEO use. Although new, they are technically demos. I almost bought one but went with a RK instead. There are quite a few differences, it would be good to look at one sitting next to a standard RK (wheels, tires, black headlight, seat & carrier, standard ABS, tach, front fender bumper, taillight/tag, bags, bag guards, orange controls and wiring to name a few). When you buy one new, you get the standard 2 year warranty and there is a supplemental owners manual for cop bikes. On the 2013's they did away with the air seat, it still has the same solo seat but no more air tank and gauge. In my case, the RK cost about $1,000 more then the police scooter would have.

Last edited by mmcbeat; 02-08-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM
HDchrome
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some dealers have used police HD's for sale. I bought a police RK with 1500 miles on it once, back when RK's were a 2 year wait for a new one. Town and Country HD in Cement City MI always seems to have a number of them available, that's where I got mine. Some are low mileage.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

there was a new 2012 Police RK for sale at my nearest dealership on Wednesday, think it had 14 miles on it.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,257 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Big Sky in Montana usually has a few and you can get out of service bikes at

www.publicsurplus.com in the "Motorcycle" section.

Heres a link with a couple of FL's for sale now.

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/bro...aucs?catid=409

Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

I like mine. Got it with 22k miles; never in service with a department.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 AM
RoadKing2438
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few dealers around here that have them on the show room floor. Also there are plenty of used police bikes around. I personally bought mine through a private sale. It is a police bike that is a Shriners edition. never saw service as a duty bike. Shouldn't be too hard to get a new one from the dealer.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 AM
ebigfish
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Big Sky in Montana usually has a few
BINGO!

and IA was there the day i picked mine up!

-fish

Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My BF has a 2010 flhp that he purchased new. It had sat in a dealership in Mass. for a year longer than it needed to...they need to sit for 6 months. The flhp is a great deal compared to the RK with the saddlebag guards, 103 and abs (in 2010 that was not standard as the newer bikes are now), air seat, etc. The lights and siren were on the bike when we bought it but had to be disconnected when purchased. The biggest problem with these bikes is the warranty - even the dealership didn't know that the warranty starts when these bikes are brought into the dealership...not when purchased in a private sale. Once I told the dealer that would be a deal braker for us if they did not get us a full warranty, they were generous enough to add it on. There are only a couple downfalls, some parts are difficult to find (big tach makes it hard to put on the new cvo windscreen that my bf wants, etc. but those things are small in comparison to a really good deal. We paid under $17000 brand new with 2 mls and warranty. I know a dealership in Connecticut (Yankee HD in Bristol) that has a number of used ones and a brand new one of the showroom floor.

Quick Reply: Police Bikes