General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running ethanol in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
01RoadHog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running ethanol in your bike

I have had issues with my bike running rough (at times) at idle and backfiring at times on deceleration. I had my bike professionally tuned when I had some engine work completed but I continue to have issues. I recently changed the plugs out which helped a little but I was thinking it may be the ethanol in the gas. Anyone else have similiar issues?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,992 Likes on 4,183 Posts

It is not the ethanol in the gas. All we have had for many many years. Even ran it in my 69 Firebird I have had since new for close to 100K Run in in my 46 Chevy truck (not many miles however) Do all my own work. Replace the rubber seat in the carb in my 1991 Sear 12HP ridding lawn mower this year and it was full of trash from my gas can neck rusting but was still like new. Oil in the gas is what kills weedeaters , not ethanol. However the next tin men and people who never do their own work are going to tell you different.? HA In fact if you happen to get some bad gas with a little moisture as long as it's not so much it will not run about 3 to 4 more takes of ethanol will absorb it. That is all a can product that may still be on the market called Gas Dry is. I would assume your bike is carb and if it's random my guess is trash in your jets and spraying cleaner will not get it. Carb must be torn down and cleaned from inside. Also need to check your screen above fuel on/off ****. That Harley of your's looks brand new in your album. I am from Williamson WV

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-07-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 PM
01RoadHog
Advanced

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
It is not the ethanol in the gas. All we have had for many many years. Even ran it in my 69 Firebird I have had since new for close to 100K Run in in my 46 Chevy truck (not many miles however) Do all my own work. Replace the rubber seat in the carb in my 1991 Sear 12HP ridding lawn mower this year and it was full of trash from my gas can neck rusting but was still like new. Oil in the gas is what kills weedeaters , not ethanol. However the next tin men and people who never do their own work are going to tell you different.? HA In fact if you happen to get some bad gas with a little moisture as long as it's not so much it will not run about 3 to 4 more takes of ethanol will absorb it. That is all a can product that may still be on the market called Gas Dry is. I would assume your bike is carb and if it's random my guess is trash in your jets and spraying cleaner will not get it. Carb must be torn down and cleaned from inside. Also need to check your screen above fuel on/off ****. That Harley of your's looks brand new in your album. I am from Williamson WV
Thanks for the infor but it's fuel injected. I have tried octane boost and other additives and it seems to get worse. I'm from the Ranson area. Looks like it's on the opposite side of the state as you.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,992 Likes on 4,183 Posts

Originally Posted by 01RoadHog
Thanks for the infor but it's fuel injected. I have tried octane boost and other additives and it seems to get worse. I'm from the Ranson area. Looks like it's on the opposite side of the state as you.
All the way on the other side of VA now. Could be the sock on the inlet. Boost and storage stuff will break it down and it will fall completely off newer bikes then yours. With it gone it will suck up crud from tank that normally would not hurt being on sock. Some say no but I have found a stopped up fuel filter in the tanks get the idle first since it affects the set 55 psi injector spray. On a carb bike it affects the top in. Could be IAC valve but all it is is an air passage but a lot of spray cleaner up in it will drive up the shaft washing crud up into the step motor of it making it stick and be erratic. Pull the air filter and look up into top of injector and you will see tip point poking down into bore of throttle body. Key it on and off and back on a few times watching it. Ever key cut off it plugs the hole completely to prevent run on at the high rpm idle and then on key on resets itself to the closed loop system on our bikes and once running the ECM controls it for idle. Check while engine off..not running just using key switch.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-07-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:39 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I live in a small town and I don't think we have Ethanol here. Not that I've seen anyway.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All my vehicles run on 10 percent ethanol because that's all i can get in my local area. The only problem i've had is in some of my small engines, like mower and weed eater.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM
RoadKinghd60
Intermediate

I have had issues with my bike running rough (at times) at idle and backfiring at times on deceleration. I had my bike professionally tuned when I had some engine work completed but I continue to have issues. I recently changed the plugs out which helped a little but I was thinking it may be the ethanol in the gas. Anyone else have similiar issues?
There is a station in Charles Town that sells ethal free gas.

Charles Town Liberty Get N Go 321 W Washington St N39.28788 W77.86271

pure-gas.org

You could give it a try and see what happens.

CJ

Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

chickinonachain--it is a safe bet that the gas in your area has ethanol in it. you might find some non-ethanol gas at a marina, but it is nearly everywhere in texas. there is a site that you can google that will tell you where to find not-ethanol gas.
as far as the OP, i would take it back to the tuner and let him straighten it out. decel popping and rough idle should be the tuner's job to eliminate.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Ethanol's other effects, including its tendency to scour a fuel tank of gums, resins and debris, carrying the gunk into fuel filters. Ethanol also attracts water, and over time, water-laden ethanol can separate from the rest of the gasoline, wreaking havoc with the engine.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

ethanol is here to stay ...get used to it ..
set up your motors to run on it ( gas lines/ carb parts/etc)

the alcohol will act as a solvent to some parts , and cause the fuel system to clog.
results?? lean conditions , and engine failures.
Blame it on the ethanol ??? maybe , however if you are running it and dont set up for it ..who is to blame??
that beingsaid , I hate ethanol , it is "hamburger helper"
feels good , but doesnt do anything for your motor.
I/E ..less power , less miles per gallon..,but the corn farmers , and the gov-ment love it ...........

Quick Reply: Running ethanol in your bike