General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running ethanol in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

If you ride your bike you won't have any water attraction in the ethanol fuel. Personally I hate to see it added but it's there, Stupid EPA and corn belt politicians. For the record, my bike is stock inside and will stay that way, the mods are listed on the sig line. I run 87 and have no problems, it doesn't ping or knock. But I ride my bike regularly and take trips regularly. If it wasn't for the back surgery 3 weeks ago I would have ridden today and have a weekend trip planned for this weekend. I am at 23K on her doing fine. Now if anyone knows a miracle back cure, let me know.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 AM
USAFANG67
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
If you ride your bike you won't have any water attraction in the ethanol fuel. Personally I hate to see it added but it's there, Stupid EPA and corn belt politicians. For the record, my bike is stock inside and will stay that way, the mods are listed on the sig line. I run 87 and have no problems, it doesn't ping or knock. But I ride my bike regularly and take trips regularly. If it wasn't for the back surgery 3 weeks ago I would have ridden today and have a weekend trip planned for this weekend. I am at 23K on her doing fine. Now if anyone knows a miracle back cure, let me know.
Go back to walking on all fours like our monkey ancestors do.
On a serious note I'm having lower back issues myself so I have an idea what ya must have gone through. Hope the back surgery was successful.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by USAFANG67
Go back to walking on all fours like our monkey ancestors do.
On a serious note I'm having lower back issues myself so I have an idea what ya must have gone through. Hope the back surgery was successful.

It ain't fun, back surgery, and should be a last choice, but also not put off so long the results become iffy.

I would try the all fours approach, but can't bend over that far. Something about rods and screws and such.

Edit again; My point about the alcohol and riding is that if you are riding, you are cycling fresh fuel through the system and water retention/absorption is not a problem. I realize that those in the northern tier may not be able to ride regularly.

Last edited by Chunker; 02-08-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 AM
wayslow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's 2 fillin' stations here in town (that I know of) that sell non-ethanol gas.
Surprising that I don't see that many bikes at either of them.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wayslow
There's 2 fillin' stations here in town (that I know of) that sell non-ethanol gas.
Surprising that I don't see that many bikes at either of them.
There are a few around where I live, and I tried some tanks of it in 2 different bikes, A Kaw 1600 and the current HD. I saw no performance or efficiency gain in either bike. No sense paying the extra $$ for no gain.