General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went down after work-crash bars WORK

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear the good news and will never take them off, not that I had ever thought about removing them!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,525 Likes on 22,675 Posts

Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

That's why they're on my SG.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Yup, good to see they did their job. They were the first things I put on my new bike.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you walked away from it.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Good to hear you made it. The video gives me the creeps, even if it wasn't anything serious. I did like how he popped right up and walked away.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM
vonh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting a crash bar for my bike soon, glad to hear they work, you might wanna get a gremlin bell too!! Its always good to walk away unhurt!!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:37 PM
merman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
They do work and save the rider, But I have seen 2 bikes totaled because the frame where the crash bar connects at the top bent. The rest of the damage to the bikes would have been repairable.
Yep, my 08 RKC was totaled for a tear in the welded gusset at the crash bar attachment point. My friends 2010 UC had a frame replacement for the same thing. I was taken out by a deer. He just drifted off the road fumbling with something in his pocket into a soft dirt cornfield doing 25 MPH. The bike didn't even fall over. He stopped like at a stop sign. But where the crash bar had been bent on the left side it slightly tore the welded gusset. It's a weak point that needs beefed up by Harley for sure. It's hard to believe it actually stays together long enough in a crash to protect anything. Insurance companies and HD dealers won't touch repairing it.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

The reason he levered that bike in the video is because he was pulling the outside bar instead of pushing the inside bar. The deeper he went into the corner, the harder he pulled on the outside. This caused the bike to lean more, and after it made hard contact it levered the wheel off of the pavement. If you push on the inside bar instead of pulling on the outside, it'll automatically shift your weight to the inside of the turn, and the bike will corner more sharply without leaning as far over. Sometimes just kicking your knee out on the inside as well will give you enough couterbalance to keep the bike of off the shiny bits.

I hate to see that happen to anyone.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a wonder you did not mess up your side bags. This is why I run the guards on mine. Yes I can testify crash bars do help but does not give unlimited protection. Glade you are OK!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyhumble
I was working graveyard shift on Sunday night and it was relatively dry coming home. I was taking a left under the overpass when I saw an oil slick. It is weird now because although I saw it, I didn't register it in my mind till I was down. Anyways, I low-sided, wiping out onto my left side and hearing the scraping sound of my bike on pavement. I knew when I picked her up the left side would be trashed, but found out the next morning how wrong I was. I was only going 15-20 when I went down and my left knee and hand were the first to hit the ground, but I don't have much rash at all. My gear was protecting me as well as the bars. I picked the bike up, (a heavy bastard by the way) pulled back into traffic and drove home. Surprisingly no one stopped or rolled a window down to ask if I was ok. When I woke up Monday, i was surprised to see the only damage is to the two crash bars that now wear a distinctive scar on them. The bars protected myself and the bike from what surely could have been worse to either of us. This is almost identical to what I visualize I looked like going down, but instead of having a destroyed toy, mine spun on the left side like a top and I rode her away. H-D crash bars WORK!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYxU_lYBHpY
This film clip isn't your wreck.

The accident in the clip happened in Ca and was all over the internet about 3 months ago.

Actually it says that the video was shot on Mullholland Dr in Ca. Boy commuting from Texas to Ca everyday must be tough...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harle...ash-video.html

Last edited by PFWiz; 02-07-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Went down after work-crash bars WORK