General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken wing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013 | 02:39 PM
shredder22
Road Captain

Could someone please explain lane spliting to me. I have been riding for quite some time and while I think I know what it is I am not sure. Would appreciate any feedback. Just happy to hear the op came out allright.

Old 02-07-2013 | 02:46 PM
mrhistory2012
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shredder22
Could someone please explain lane spliting to me. I have been riding for quite some time and while I think I know what it is I am not sure. Would appreciate any feedback. Just happy to hear the op came out allright.
Lane splitting is when a motorcycle can ride between lanes. According to California vehicle code.
"Motorcycles may travel faster than traffic during congested road conditions and can legally travel in the unused space between two lines of moving or stationary vehicles; this is commonly called "lane splitting."
Couple of my friends have been pulled over for splitting at an unsafe speed.

Old 02-07-2013 | 08:07 PM
Woweh
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mrhistory2012
Three days ago on my way to work I started to split lanes when an 18 wheeler tapped my engine guard, which sent me to the car next to me and then I kissed the pavement. Upon falling I tried to get up but my right ankle was crushed under the bike; Thank God I wasn't going fast. Another biker pulled over and helped me, he picked up my bike and helped me limp across the 91 freeway. I was discharged from the ER, with a broken ankle. Now progressive is going to pick up my bike from the towing yard and will fix it. My boss who also rides she said that now I've earned my broken wing patch...I'm just glad I'm whole and the bike is taken care of.
Good to hear you are good and safe Bro!! keep on keepN!! Bikes get fixed, we don't. We can't ride the rail here legally, but me aN the boys do sometimeZ. Peace!!

Old 02-07-2013 | 09:03 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Nah, the 18wheeler driver doesn't necessarly fall under the idiot driver category. What happened to me was a mix of overconfidence and bad luck.
I'm glad to hear so many good experiences with progressive, specially since I just got my 60 day lay off notice in the mail
Glad to hear that you are OK and kind of understand was a bit of overconfidence. You will become a better rider.

I split everyday except when I need to wear a tie or rain. 9 to the 5.

take care and get back to riding and working soon

Old 02-07-2013 | 09:18 PM
mrhistory2012
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by leicafish
Glad to hear that you are OK and kind of understand was a bit of overconfidence. You will become a better rider.

I split everyday except when I need to wear a tie or rain. 9 to the 5.

take care and get back to riding and working soon
Thanks, yeah overconfidence is as dangerous as driving drunk...I usually try not to split unless traffic is dead stop.
Since I'm bed ridden my girlfriend got me "let's ride: Sonny Barger's guide to motorcycle" and its fun and informative book. I know it's quite the segue but I thought its worth mentioning lol.

Old 02-07-2013 | 10:14 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member

You don't earn your broken wing for wrecking your bike. You earn it for getting back on a bike. Glad your ok.

Old 02-07-2013 | 10:20 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by SamStone
You don't earn your broken wing for wrecking your bike. You earn it for getting back on a bike......
I have a flock of those broken wings......

Old 02-07-2013 | 10:24 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"

Originally Posted by SamStone
You don't earn your broken wing for wrecking your bike. You earn it for getting back on a bike. Glad your ok.
True dat. Been there, done that, fed 'em to my dogs.

Old 02-07-2013 | 10:32 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior

"So take these broken wings..."

Old 02-07-2013 | 11:04 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

@SquidHead that saddlebag you have is sick! Where did you buy it?
Bad&G Customs...the battery cover bags are pretty sweet too.

Quick Reply: Broken wing