General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop worring and start living!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,254 Likes on 4,783 Posts
Default Stop worring and start living!

I usually mind my own business unless someone gets up in my face (real or virtual) but gotta speak my mind on something.

I know this has been brought up here before and for those that get all screwy every time someone brings up a subject that has already been hashed over.....OH WELL, "here we go again".

I see so many here that seem to spend a lot of time dwelling on accidents or worrying about getting in an accident or getting hit by a flying object or falling over or eating bugs or whether or not the clothes they wear will protect them in the event of an accident or whatever.

I realize we are all different and we all ride for our own reasons. I just can't understand how anyone can think riding a bike is fun if they spend all their time worrying about getting killed or maimed while they are doing it.

I would suggest that if someone is that scared that perhaps they should find another form of recreation. It's just a suggestion and I'm not trying to force my feelings on anyone else, just venting a little I guess.

I "Never" worry about any of that when I park my *** on the seat and roll out of the garage and I mean NEVER.

I worry more about that **** when I'm driving my Semi than I do when I'm on my bike or when I'm thinking about my bike. The bike (for me anyway) is a way to leave all the worry and stress behind.

OK.....Rant over.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 471 Likes on 289 Posts

Have to agree with you; I never think about accidents when I'm riding. Best quote I ever saw about that was " if you are dressing for the accident instead of the ride, maybe you should wear a car"

Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,052 Likes on 698 Posts

I think we all think about the above mentioned from time to time. I know I do but, like you when I get on my bike and take off I get into a mode that's hard to explain. No worrys just ride, is the best way to explain it I guess.
And on why people post the doom and gloom on here? Don't know really.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

IA, I enjoy your posts, and your warrior spirit. But some of us don't want to ride in unsafe conditions like exhausted enough to be stopped by cops as a suspected DUI.

I love riding, but I respect physics, and want to be around for my family. I am not a biker. I ride a Harley because I love the bike, but didn't start riding until I was 48 in 2004. So I am in the analyze and avoid accident crowd.

I feel vulnerable when I ride, but not scared. I think that is healthy. I like to read accident threads that educate on how accident could have been avoided.

The only threads I hate are the gossipy, judging others apparel, bikes, girlfriends, etc.

Plus it is winter for many of us, and there is nothing on TV.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member
Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IronAss
I usually mind my own business unless someone gets up in my face (real or virtual) but gotta speak my mind on something.

I know this has been brought up here before and for those that get all screwy every time someone brings up a subject that has already been hashed over.....OH WELL, "here we go again".

I see so many here that seem to spend a lot of time dwelling on accidents or worrying about getting in an accident or getting hit by a flying object or falling over or eating bugs or whether or not the clothes they wear will protect them in the event of an accident or whatever.

I realize we are all different and we all ride for our own reasons. I just can't understand how anyone can think riding a bike is fun if they spend all their time worrying about getting killed or maimed while they are doing it.

I would suggest that if someone is that scared that perhaps they should find another form of recreation. It's just a suggestion and I'm not trying to force my feelings on anyone else, just venting a little I guess.

I "Never" worry about any of that when I park my *** on the seat and roll out of the garage and I mean NEVER.

I worry more about that **** when I'm driving my Semi than I do when I'm on my bike or when I'm thinking about my bike. The bike (for me anyway) is a way to leave all the worry and stress behind.

OK.....Rant over.
good attitude !

Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 AM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bronxbill
Have to agree with you; I never think about accidents when I'm riding. Best quote I ever saw about that was " if you are dressing for the accident instead of the ride, maybe you should wear a car"
You know Bronx, I read IA's OP and said to myself, I agree to an extent but I'm not going to read the 500 posts that are sure to follow. That is, until I read yours and spit out my coffee. I love that and I'm going to commit that one to memory! LOL Thank you

Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 AM
axlespacer
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've given some flesh to the road gods on a high speed slide one time. Tri-axle in front of me lost half a load of #1 stone, nothing I could do about it. Funny thing is, ever since I went down, I hardly worry at all about an accident. It's was over 6 years ago and after having been through one it's had a calming effect. Hard to explain, but it was a lot easier to accept "if it happens it happens" attitude after that. I know there are many,many serious accidents but it's one of those things that after you've been through one you realize your fear or worry does nothing to change anything.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spent my whole working life in a Petrochem/Oil&Gas enviorment. PPE is hammered home 24/7 for a reason, so this rubs off to when I ride. I dont Look for accidents but I do wear the PPE when ever I ride, even if it to just go to the shop down the road, I have been riding for 48 years and have many scars from sliding along the road when I was young and didnt wear the gear, I dont need that now, If it is going to happen I want the protection. Just because some guy over fills his truck with Deisel and dumps it on the road on the first corner is reason enough for me. I see this daily in my travels, even worse when riding behind them and getting sprayed, I hope I dont sound like I am preaching but I love the ride and will keep doing it for as long as my legs hold up a bike, when they dont I might consider a Trike.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 AM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 45 Posts

I've used this forum to get closer to the point where the OP is--less worrying and more enjoying. Most riders are aiming for the OP's mindset, but that takes knowledge and experience.

I'm a lone rider and the members here are my connection to motorcycle information including maintenance, mods, and safety.

I'm sure there are things that I still don't know that might help me ride safer. On this forum in the past year I've learned about:

(1) headlight modulation
(2) Bright *** Lights brke light flasher
(3) engine guard merits
(4) high vis jackets that still look cool
(5) kevlar jeans
(6) proper tire inflation
(7) mirror options to limit blind spots
(8) skill building courses such as Ride Like a Pro and Total Control.

My 2 cents.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by axlespacer
I've given some flesh to the road gods on a high speed slide one time. Tri-axle in front of me lost half a load of #1 stone, nothing I could do about it. Funny thing is, ever since I went down, I hardly worry at all about an accident. It's was over 6 years ago and after having been through one it's had a calming effect. Hard to explain, but it was a lot easier to accept "if it happens it happens" attitude after that. I know there are many,many serious accidents but it's one of those things that after you've been through one you realize your fear or worry does nothing to change anything.
I can relate to that. I average around 15,000 miles a year on the bike. Some of it road trips, sometimes the corner store for a 6 pack. I need a reason not to ride the bike not a reason to ride it. That said i always figured the day would come when i would take a fall so it was always an accepted playing of the odds. Not something i ignore but not something I obsess over either. Anyway the point being after many years and many miles I took a pretty good fall 2 years ago. Screws and plates to reassemble my left elbow. I wondered how it would affect me. Well I wondered for the first couple of rides anyway. Then I realized it was what it always was except now the mystery of when it was gonna happen was gone.

Quick Reply: Stop worring and start living!