General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever hit by crazy road debris?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 AM
CB024
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever hit by crazy road debris?

I know we all get hit by small rocks, gravel and bugs but has anyone ever been hit by anything substantial?

I was visiting my mom the other night and she was telling me that I need to get a helmet. Not only a helmet but a full face helmet. When I asked why she said while exiting a freeway a truck kicked up a piece of metal about the size of a 45 record that skimmed her hood and smacked her windshield. A few days prior to that my boss was telling me that a vehicle kicked up a big piece of 2 x 4 that smacked his windshield.

These 2 stories got me thinking what if those items had hit a motorcyclist. I've been lucky over the years to have never been hit with anything other than tiny rocks. Anyone hit by anything crazy? What about almost hit but ducked or dodged the object?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Yesterday on the way hom 4 piece of wood went flying right over my head. I am not sure where they came from as there was a taxi, and then a truck in front of me and they did not come out of either. All I know is I ducked and it went over my head. Dodged a bullet there.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I was hit by a simple stone kicked up by a tire of a passing car that almost knocked me out cold and resulted in 5 stitches right above my nose and glasses Felt like a bullet hit me.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Couple weeks ago I was running 75 on the highway and It sounded like a large steel plate came sliding by my bike. No contact.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM
CB024
Road Master

Actually I just remembered one. I was cruising down the freeway at about 70 mph and there was a grocery bag dancing all over the place in slow motion. To the right then to the left then to the right. Well it goes to the left so I scoot over to the right. At the last second the damn thing was like a magnate and smacked my headlight. I reached up to take it off and it had nasty green algae all over it. Not thinking "I'm on a motorcycle going 70 mph" go to toss it off to the side and about ripped my arm out of socked with the wind caught it.

Granted it wasn't a solid piece if debris but was an interesting experience.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Doing about 70 on the highway once, a big hunk of retreaded tire tread from a semi went flying by me on my left. I was very lucky cause I didn't see it until it was beside me.
Anything like that scares the bleep out of you.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing bigger than rocks. Makes me wonder if y'all are following too close. The only time I have been hit by big rocks was because I couldn't see them coming off of a flat bed trailer. The second one caught my attention and I slowed down to put more distance between us since I couldn't pass safely. Another time I got a 2x4 surprise. I didn't come up off of the road but the surprise was that I didn't see it. I couldn't see in front of the truck I was following. I was overtaking him to pass him. The 2x4 fit between his axles. I had to ride over it since I didn't have space to evade. Now I overtake to the far left of my lane looking past any vehicle in front of me. Even if it means I am on the line. I wear a full face modular now more than ever before but because of the wind noise and as a sun shield.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,822 Likes on 19,322 Posts

I was riding with a guy outside of Indianapolis a few years back when a plastic garbage blew up and wrapped around his head ... luckily he got stopped before anything bad happened ...

Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Do potholes count?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 AM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Do potholes count?
Sure why not.

Quick Reply: Ever hit by crazy road debris?