General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Recommendation for Lightweight Leather Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Need Recommendation for Lightweight Leather Jacket

Well, the leather jacket I received a couple days ago from Leatherup is on it's way back to them. It was way too big.

In addition, I could tell just from trying it on that it was too heavy also for what I want. So now I'm looking for recommendations on a lightweight leather jacket.

About 20+ years ago, I had a lightweight Harley leather jacket, except they didn't call it a "jacket". They called it a "Leather Shirt". It looked like a jacket, but didn't have a dozen zippers or a removable liner or anything like that. It was simply a fairly plain, rather snug fitting leather jacket that was great for mild to cool weather. Unfortunately, in one of my dumber moments, I sold that jacket about 8 years ago.

Does anyone know of a similar jacket perhaps without the Harley name on it that can be purchased for say $150 or less? I don't need a liner. Don't need zipper vents. And don't want the armor. Just want a snug fitting, neat simple looking black jacket with zipper sleeves.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you done a search for leather shirts?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Sounds like a fashion jacket you get at the mall.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 AM
TWNomad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

If you mean some thing like this, then FoxCreek is one of the best places to get it from. Service is top notch and the product, well you won't find much better. A little more then you were looking to spend but well worth it.

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/60-me...er-jean-jacket

Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I think Nomads suggestion is exactly what you are looking for.

But just FYI, I have an old Brooks Cafe Racer that is lightweight but protective, few bells or whistles. Can find em here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Or you can get a new one if you wanna pay a little: http://www.brooksleather.com/html/mens_jackets.html

Made in USA.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 02-05-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Chas63
Tourer

Originally Posted by TWNomad
If you mean some thing like this, then FoxCreek is one of the best places to get it from. Service is top notch and the product, well you won't find much better. A little more then you were looking to spend but well worth it.

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/60-me...er-jean-jacket
No, sorry, but that's not even close to what I'm looking for. That jacket has pockets, flaps on the pockets, and all that stuff. The jacket I'm talking about is plain leather front. I don't think it had any pockets other than one small zipper pocket on the left chest that was about the size to hold a pack of cigarettes. Even this pocket was very inconspicuous. All you could see was a little horizontal zipper.

I think I saw something similar to what I'm looking for, but I don't recall where, that was called a Racing Jacket or something like that. Just a plain simple, smooth leather jacket with a zipper down the middle/front and zippers on the sleeves.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I have this:

[/URL]

Last edited by Ron750; 04-15-2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM
dfndr
Road Master

Leatherup or Amazon will have what you're looking for. Have you checked them out?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM
TWNomad
Cruiser

Oh ok, something like a vintage cafe racer jacket. Something like the one below but plainer.
http://www.jaminleather.com/Classic-...Men-P2654.aspx

Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Chas63
Tourer

Originally Posted by TWNomad
Oh ok, something like a vintage cafe racer jacket. Something like the one below but plainer.
http://www.jaminleather.com/Classic-...Men-P2654.aspx
Yeah, in fact, that one looks nice. A little plainer would be allright too, but this one might do.

What do you know about this Jamin company? Good quality products? Good service?

I called them just a few minutes ago and talked with a lady there. She seemed very helpful, but I would like to have opinions of several people who have bought from them if possible. Seems I recall someone from Texas on this board who had nice things to say about their products.

Quick Reply: Need Recommendation for Lightweight Leather Jacket