General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Ethanol .. ( I hope )

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Damn Ethanol .. ( I hope )

Living in Georgia, I usually don't go more than a week, even in winter, without getting at least a 25 - 50 mile ride in.

Since before Christmas I've only been able to ride about 100 miles, so I'm on the same tank of gas since then.

My bike, an '02 Heritage FI, started running rough after about 25 miles. The second time it did this was when I arrived back home. I pulled into the garage with the clutch in, it sputtered, ran rough, then died. It sounded so bad my wife came outside to see what was wrong with it. It would crank, but only run, rough at that, with the trottle held open. Left to idle it would go dead.

Worried that maybe the coil was going bad, or worse yet, the alternator, I stopped by my mechanic's shop a few days later. When I told him what it was doing he asked when was the last time I put gas in the tank. When I told him before Christmas he said my problem was the ethanol in the gas.

He had some additive called Star Tron, 7 bucks for a 8 oz bottle. He said it was probably cheaper at a parts store or walmart. It wasn't, 10 bucks there. I bought a bottle from him rather than looking for it somewhere else.

Along with another gallon of gas, put some in then let it run 5 minutes to run it through the fuel system.

A few days later I was able to go on about a 40 mile ride and it ran fine. The next day, a 30 mile ride, everything ran good again.

I'm not 100% sure if ethanol was my problem yet although it looks like it was.

Has anyone else had a problem like this that was caused by ethanol?

MAL

Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

I always run ethanol free gas in all my vehicles, but I doubt ethanol would cause the gas to go bad in 4 or 5 weeks time...I've let vehicles sit for months with ethanol in the tank & never a problem

Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Mal74, it matter how long gas in your tank has sat or whether your 4,6, or 8 cylinder has run ethanol without issue since jump street.

When gas is blended with alcohol (creating mix or mixed ethanol) the mere fact that alcohol is hydrophilic (meaning it attracts moisture) water can accumulate in your gas tank resulting in reciprocating combustion imbalance point blank.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 PM
JockWhisky
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a long shot but mine did something similar. It wasn't the gas but rather a pinhole had developed in the pressurized fuel lines in the gas tank. (IT's fuel injected.) It ran rough as hell and was so bad it was embarrassing. It would run sort of ok with a full tank but after 50 or so miles it would run crappy again. It's a cheap fix if that's the problem.

JW

Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

I'd really be surprised if your issue is ethanol related. Sounds more like water from condensation....especially where you are with alternating warm and cold days. Since water is more dense than gasoline water would be on the bottom of the tank. Did you have a full tank when you went for the ride that ended with a poorly running motor? If not, maybe your fuel pump was just getting to the bad part. Heet, Seafoam or that expensive stuff you used could very well have done the job. Fill up with fresh gas and go for a longer putt and see what happens.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can easily believe it was the gas.

For the last two years the fuel we've been getting locally.
I know for a fact if you leave the same gas in anything with a carburetor for 2 months without running it the carb will be gummed up to hell.

Fuel injected doesn't suffer as bad but one will run like crap if you leave it sitting for a few months learned this the hard way leaving my extra truck sitting a few months.

SeaFoam is your friend.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM
mack63
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why I always fill the gas tank on anything I store. You need an air space for condensation to form. I also put in some fuel satbilizer. Ive never had a fuel problem doing those two things.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that would be a problem after only a month.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's also possible to pick a little water up from the tank you pump it out of...

Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

If it persist, see how much gas is left in the tank. I'm 99% sure I'm suffering from the hole in the line inside the tank on my bike as well.

Quick Reply: Damn Ethanol .. ( I hope )