General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

House or bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007 | 03:41 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: House or bike?

Get rid of the house and all your stuff except for the bike and some riding clothes. Then start hanging out with the HAMC Nomads chapter.

Old 02-08-2007 | 03:48 PM
ezglider
Cruiser

I'd sell the bike. Even if I was not married I would sell the bike and get another one once I could afford it again. I'd hate to have to bring a lady friend home to the basement of my parents' house. And renting is just paying somebody elses mortgage.

Old 02-08-2007 | 03:56 PM
Bear64
Banned

ORIGINAL: ChromeJunkie

Have taken a big cut on getting overtime, and will have to either sell the house or the bike. Decided to keep thebike. Which would you sell, the house or bike? Be honest.
Worse comes to worse sell the bike!! but you do have lots of options as everybody has told you, the one that I might consider would be part-time job, sell the bike and buy a cheaper one, go down to a used sporty for a couple of years, but no way would I sell a moneymaker like a house..there are lots of good cheap bikes out there that you Could ride, maybe not a harley but what difference does that make, so you ride some other brand, hey your friends would understand and at least you could still get in the wind.

Old 02-08-2007 | 05:21 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Bear64
sell the bike and buy a cheaper one, go down to a used sporty for a couple of years, but no way would I sell a moneymaker like a house..there are lots of good cheap bikes out there that you Could ride, maybe not a harley but what difference does that make, so you ride some other brand, hey your friends would understand and at least you could still get in the wind.
exactly. ill _always_ have a motorcycle. it may not be an expensive bike, but ill always be on two wheels. i just sold a bike to my brother for $500. that prob two months payments for a new hog to own a bike outright. prob not the sort of bike people round here would brag about, but if riding is your thing, its better than being in a pickup truck.

then again, im pretty conservative financially, so i dont tend to finance motorcycles or cars. the used market has been very kind to me, as most people who buy new bikes, dont really ride much. they buy for all sorts of reasons and then sell with very few miles. same with cars to a lessor extent. whatever. good used motor vehicles are plentiful and cheap.

bottom line, if you are a "harley only guy", you may be walking. if the ride is more important than the nameplate, get a cheap used bike and stay on the road.

dont sell the house unless there is a lot more to this situation than you have written.

Old 02-08-2007 | 05:34 PM
06TEXASCLASSIC
Tourer

The bike would be gone. If I could get a cheaper one I would. But never the house.

Old 02-08-2007 | 05:53 PM
bronk
Road Master

Your honestly kidding right?I hope so for your family sake...

Old 02-08-2007 | 07:23 PM
dynrdave
Road Master

the bike of course.

Old 02-08-2007 | 07:41 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Bike would go before the house, but after the cell phone, cable, internet (Gasp).

Old 02-08-2007 | 08:02 PM
kmrutledge
Cruiser

Its' hard enough to save for a home as it is. Family first so I would have to let
the bike go.
I hope things turn around for you and your family quickly so you don't have
to make a choice.

House or bike? - 2/8/2007 12:43:32 AM

showPicture("2/8/2007 12:43:32 AM",0,0,0,1256809,221)

ChromeJunkie

Old 02-08-2007 | 08:06 PM
hartick
Tourer

i am in a somewhat similar situation. i own (paying mortgage) my house, own my yamaha roadstar and have an 07 SG on order. next month i am putting my house on the market since i get out of the navy this summer. no more steady paycheck = no more house. but i will sell and pay off the bike then move to arizona and go to school, working part time and hanging on to the rest of the house profit for after school. not sure if it will all work out but heres to hoping [sm=icon_cheers.gif] i do agree with the rolling the bike payment into the house if possible. i refinanced my house loan 2 years ago and payed about $100 out of pocket.

if you dont have to have a harley....i have a yamaha for sale

Quick Reply: House or bike?