General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

House or bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007 | 11:44 AM
07deluxe
Road Captain
Default RE: House or bike?

PM me if your looking for a realtor, I'm sure we could find you a cheaper house somewhere else. Take a wild guess what I do for a living.

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:18 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I'd sell the bike. The amount of money I get back in taxes each year, I could buy a brand new bike, outright, in just a couple years (assuming I could manage not to spend that check).

no brainer.

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:28 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

get a second job!

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:51 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain

Sell both, become a monk.

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:56 PM
Bigbird
Tourer

Last year I sold my Deuce to get the money for closing on my house. 2 weeks after I moved into the new house I bought a new Streetbob.

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:59 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

The bike would be down the highway.I hate to even think about it.In 1994 got downsized out of job 22 yrs in.The bike had to go.

Old 02-08-2007 | 02:02 PM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member

Everyone has made valid points in there situations. Can you refinance and pay the bike off and keep the bike and the house? Get a roommate? Another job? Think of any possible way to keep both. Check into every option you have. You may be able to sell the house(Making 50 grand in the process)pay off the bike, and buy a new house. Or possibly buy the same house back. If after all that, if you can't possibly keep both, decide what is most important to YOU. A house may be the logical and most important to many, but is it to you? It took me over 20 years from the day I decided I wanted a Harley to get it. I'm not selling it for anything, but then again I'm in a fiancial situation that I shouldn't have to.

Just some thoughts, but whatever you decide, good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Old 02-08-2007 | 02:29 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: SoftailBrian

Everyone has made valid points in there situations. Can you refinance and pay the bike off and keep the bike and the house? Get a roommate? Another job? Think of any possible way to keep both. Check into every option you have. You may be able to sell the house(Making 50 grand in the process)pay off the bike, and buy a new house. Or possibly buy the same house back. If after all that, if you can't possibly keep both, decide what is most important to YOU. A house may be the logical and most important to many, but is it to you? It took me over 20 years from the day I decided I wanted a Harley to get it. I'm not selling it for anything, but then again I'm in a fiancial situation that I shouldn't have to.

Just some thoughts, but whatever you decide, good luck and I hope it works out for you.
In all honesty not knowing what the actual value of the house is He could refinane and adding 20k to your monthly mortgage would only make the payment go up about 100 bucks. that being said it would eliminate your bike payment of 2-300 bucks.

Old 02-08-2007 | 03:08 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

If it were me, I'd take out a home equity loan or refinance my house, take the money and pay off the bike. That way you keep both and your house payment barely changes.

The important things to consider in this scenario:

1) Intrest rate you currently have on your mortgage versus interest rates now
2) Amount of equity in your house
3) Closing costs on a refinance- there are some companies (not many) that actually charge no closing costs. They pay them all since you will be paying them interest for 30 years.

Old 02-08-2007 | 03:14 PM
chopperz71
Road Master

Yea, What Phrogman said.

Quick Reply: House or bike?