General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of Wilson's Leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of Wilson's Leather

Bought two jackets at Wilson's. Each was $249, marked down to $169, then marked way down for clearance. When I got home I was on the net searching info about different types of leather. Decided to check out the two jackets I bought. Tiny label said, "Shell:Polyvinyl Chloride". No mention of letter on the jacket. It was plastic!!! Took them back. Manager said ALL the jackets on the floor racks were vinyl, just the ones hanging on the walls were leather! Looked like most of the jackets in the store were vinyl WITH NO SIGNS WHATEVER warning that they weren't leather at all. Not cool!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,525 Likes on 6,272 Posts

Don't fall for the sale BS. If you want a cheap jacket go to leatherup. Better quality Milwaukee Motorcycle jackets.

Ebay or HD forum classified have good used jackets.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wilson Leather went bankrupt several years ago. They used to sell good stuff, but now its all imatation and imported from china cheap crap.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 AM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ga.mason
Wilson Leather went bankrupt several years ago. They used to sell good stuff, but now its all imatation and imported from china cheap crap.
That explains my surprise when I stuck my head in there after a long hiatus. It wasn't what I remembered at all.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's my view. There are motorcycle jackets and there are "fashion" jackets. You cannot buy a proper riding jacket at a fashion store. The Pakistani imports, no matter what type of leather is used, are suitable for riding. The leather is a cheap grade, too thin and poorly stiched.

Those $98 specials found at rallys may look cool, but that's it. They will bleed in the rain and shread in a crash. Sometimes even heavy leather, well made motorcycle jackets don't really work. They are designed by fashion people not riders. Try one on, fits great huh? Then put your arms out in a riding position. When it rides two inches up your wrists you will know it's not for real riders.

Langlitz, Bates, Schott, Vanson and a very few others make proper equipment. If this type of leather gear is out of your price range buy nylon/kevlar gear from Tourmaster, First Gear, etc. It's all about walking away from a crash not looking Harley tough.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by ga.mason
Yep to that- I just threw away my Wilson's leather jacket I had for about 20 years...too bad for them.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer to hear Wilson's went under. I have a bill fold from them I have been carrying for years. It's starting to show it's age. I was going to get another one since the one I have has lasted so long. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Didn't know about the bankruptcy....but my old Wilson is ten times better than the cheap chinese jackets that Harley sells.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Always did have to watch Wilson's. I never saw any of their stuff that I would consider top quality.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,237 Likes on 21,822 Posts

Too bad that they had to resort to selling vinyl.
Before they resorted to that, they should've closed their doors.

Quick Reply: Beware of Wilson's Leather