General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering/tie-down (Daytona)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 PM
diablo69
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering/tie-down (Daytona)

I'm planning on heading to Daytona (from Ohio) for Bikeweek. Not an option of just riding due to FRIGID temps in Ohio that time of year. Thinking of just renting a UHaul enclosed trailer for bike and other crap I'm gonna take. My question is if I buy a chock and secure it to 2x4s so I don't have to bolt it to trailer floor, plus tying it down, is this secure enough? First time trailering bike and hopefully last, so any tips/help would be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In a word, NO. If you mount the wheel chock to 2x4's use 3 inch deck screws and screw the boards to the trailer floor. The tye downs hold the bike tight to the chock. I would also block the sides of the rear wheel. Since I'm paranoid about this I also would use a smaller strap around the front wheel/chock.

Check around, you may be able to buy a bike or landscape trailer for the price of a U-Haul rental.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:00 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

U-Haul trailers have lots of little anchor shaped dealies hanging inside them. Just get a half dozen or so rachet tie-downs and start attaching them. When I had to get my moms old Buick, my bike and a bunch of her stuff from Austin to Phoenix that what I did. Just check on things a lot. Those U-Haul trailers are not the most structurally sound things in the world.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:27 PM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

watch that the nylon tie downs don't rub against any chrome on the bike. I've seen this cause scratches to pipes after rubbing for a long distance.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:09 PM
diablo69
3rd Gear

Thanks everyone for the advice!!!!! I thought about the chock not being attached to the trailer floor,but was more concerned that it would help with front to back movement and the ratchet straps would prevent side to side movement I see where UHaul has a specifically designed trailer for hauling motorcycles with a built in chock and extra heavy duty tie down D rings, but it's not a covered trailer. Looked at trailer prices and 200.00 for a UHaul sure beats 3,500 for my own trailer!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM
fj1200
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

check Craigslist/e-Bay for for rentals and used trailers

Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

also, throw a 4x4 under the frame and crank the suspension down to the block. the bike will then be solid mounted to the trailer and your bike's suspension won't be working out while trailering.

ive pulled bikes thousands of miles, including from VA to the Puget Sound (Tacoma, WA) like this with zero falls/breaks/issues

Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

You could bolt the chock to a piece of plywood that fits up to the front and the width of the trailer instead of screwing it to the floor.
The front tie downs should pull the bike forward keeping the chock/plywood in place.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Trailering

Good info above.
  • Let the suspension work so the shocks will do their job and not put stress on the bike and its components.
  • Use cam lock type tie downs and not the ends so it the lock comes loose, the strap will still hold.
  • Use a total of 4 straps on the front end and 2 for the rear to keep the rear end down. @X$ nailed into the deck for the rear will do the job.
  • After the first few miles over some bumps, stop & recheck your tie downs.
  • Look into Sof-ties.
  • Never use a tarp to cover your bike.
  • Take your time while driving as you do not have a sports car but you are trailering something that took you some effort to obtain.
Good luck

Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 AM
CB1
Tourer

Originally Posted by diablo69
Looked at trailer prices and 200.00 for a UHaul sure beats 3,500 for my own trailer!
I wouldn't get hung up on having to have a covered trailer unless you absolutely need it. For a couple hundred more you could buy a 5x8 utility trailer. You can mount a chaulk to it and build whatever tie downs you want. It's always nice to have a trailer around. I picked one up a few years ago and have used it from everything from a recovery trailer to camping. And yes I have a truck too. However if you are putting an ultra on it it you have to put padding on the trunk to keep the drop gate from rubbing on it.

Quick Reply: Trailering/tie-down (Daytona)