General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This may surprise you

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This may surprise you

Harley-Davidson Dealerships Ranked Highest by 2007 Pied Piper Prospect Satisfaction... - Auto News from February 5, 2007PACIFIC GROVE, Calif., Feb. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Harley-Davidson dealerships ranked highest in the newly released 2007 Pied Piper Prospect Satisfaction Index (SM) Motorcycle Industry Study, which measured how shoppers are treated at retail locations. The study is the first of its kind to provide actionable insights on the hot buttons that turn shoppers into buyers.
Harley-Davidson dealerships were consistently near the top of the rankings for multiple aspects of the study. Harley-Davidson salespeople were more likely to ask for a shopper's name, to determine a shopper's price range, to determine if anything was preventing a purchase, to try to forward the sale, and to ask for a shopper's contact information.
Buell, Big Dog, Victory, Ducati, Suzuki and BMW follow Harley-Davidson in the rankings; all ranked above the industry average.
Although Harley-Davidson scored very highly throughout the study, other brands led the industry in specific areas. For example, Ducati dealerships ranked highly for promoting accessories, Kawasaki dealerships ranked highly for promoting financing, Honda dealerships ranked highly for visible signage, Suzuki dealerships ranked highly for focusing and narrowing a shopper's choices, and Victory dealerships ranked highly for offering a test ride.
"For the first time, manufacturers and dealers have a clear set of guidelines for improving sales processes," said Fran O'Hagan, President of Pied Piper Management Co., LLC. "For many dealerships, minor changes will generate immediate improvement." For example, only 35% of salespeople gave reasons why a shopper should buy from that specific dealership, only 37% asked for contact information, and only 49% tried to forward the sale in any way.
"Focusing only on yesterday's sales and customers is short-sighted, yet it's prevalent in many industries," O'Hagan said. "That's like driving your car using only the rearview mirror to navigate. As many as 75% to 90% of motor-vehicle shoppers don't buy the same day they visit a retail location, so maximizing prospect satisfaction is an important key for turning those shoppers into tomorrow's buyers."
Retailers order shopper evaluations on-line using the Pied Piper Prospect Satisfaction Index (PSI(SM)) web application, www.piedpiperpsi.com, which allows them to view real-time measurement and benchmarking specific to their brands and industries. Results are based upon calibrated prospect evaluation of the shopping experience at a retail location, as well as measurement of salesmanship effectiveness. The business methods used by Pied Piper PSI are proprietary to Pied Piper Management Co, LLC, and are Patent Pending. The 2007 Pied Piper Prospect Satisfaction Index SM Motorcycle Industry Study was conducted between November 2006 and January 2007 using shopper evaluations at 375 retail locations throughout the U.S., representing approximately one in eleven of all U.S. motorcycle dealership locations.
About Pied Piper Management Company, LLC
Pacific Grove, California based Pied Piper Management Company, LLC helps clients develop and manage brands and products to drive more prospects to purchase. PPMC was founded to help clients apply fresh thinking to today's challenges, by measuring, understanding and then influencing the future rather than focusing only on the past. There is no higher priority for PPMC than developing and running client programs, and PPMC clients report that PPMC integrates seamlessly into client operations, which frees up clients to focus instead on growing their businesses. Please visit www.piedpipermc.com.This press release is provided for editorial use only, and information contained in this release may not be used for advertising or otherwise promoting brands mentioned in this release without specific, written permission from Pied Piper Management Co.,

Old 02-07-2007, 02:37 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This may surprise you

Not a surprise to me. There was a time when the Japanese bike dealerships were playing catch up. Now they're full of their own success. While I've only recently purchased my first Harley, last summer I was shopping for a bike for my wife. I snagged her a sweet deal on an '03 Kawasaki Vulcan 800, but I certainly didn't buy it where I bought it, due to the stellar salesmanship. Simply because it was the best deal around. However I've visited 3 different Harley dealerships of late, plus contacted one a little further out via e-mail, and came off the experience with nothing but positive stories. Too bad Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki...Harley got my money this time. (And I suspect will for many years to come...)

Old 02-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

You hear a lot of folks unhappy with there Harley dealerships. I guess the grass isn't greener on the other side.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You hear a lot of folks unhappy with there Harley dealerships.

You're right. Those with complaints are always the loudest.

It doesn't surprise me at all that HD lead the way. People that are shopping at a HD store a generally a very happy bunch to begin with!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,432 Likes on 4,355 Posts

It makes sense locally... quite good here. But, the top-down bad attitudes heard about some dealers in other areas would torque my nuts into shopping elsewhere.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:50 PM
cajunman831
Tourer

depends on dealership.where i bought my two harley,s at,i don,t deal there anymore.i deal with another h.d. dealer.i,ve had people tell me not to buy there.screw them.i guess it depends on the individuals buying.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

I can only wish i could get the same parts, service and attention at myFord dealer. My Ford dealer is good a good dealer, i spent way more bucks there through the years on cars and trucksthere but they can'ttouch my HD dealer. Last week i had my truck in for service work andgot a thank you card from the service rep, first time. I think they took a page from my HD dealer, i always get thank you cards from them.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Steeltown
Tourer

Not suprising most middle age guys, with bucks goin in there buying there first Harley....hell there so just so damn happy they get on there knees and praise the great Harley Gods.....as opposed to the jap cruisers, guys goin in their pissed off that they can't afford a Harley

Old 02-07-2007, 07:05 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

HD Dealers ranked the highest? Hell you wouldn't know it from all the bitching on the internet.