General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a Harley but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 PM
07XLN
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2 year extended warranty on my 07 Nightster that I bought used. It was only $900 so I figured what the hell. When I buy new I don't get the extended warranty but when I buy used I usually do. It's paid off for me in the past.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
well, there you go, you've answered your own question. don't buy the extended warranty. i've gotta wonder what forums you've been reading though. most of what i read boils down to this: if you ride a bazillion miles a year, plan on keeping your bike forever, and don't plan on doing any mods, then the extended warranty could be good for you. if, however, you don't ride that much, or trade bikes every couple of years, and/or plan on doing some mods to your bike, then the esp is gonna more than likely be a waste of money for you.

Perfect! The EXP is great if you ride a lot. Had one on my 08 and it paid for itself and then some.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
I went against my nature and bought one on the dyna. I would never buy the extended warranty again. Just my opinion, but it is not money well spent. Also, since many mods will void the warranty, if you are thinking about doing motor work, skip the warranty.
This.

Those extended warranties have clause upon clause that let's them void 'em for darn near everything that didn't come on the bike from the factory. If you take the cost of what you wouldve spent on the warranty, buy a service manual and stick the rest in the bank, you'll be ahead of the game. Sounds like you'ver been riding for awhile now and I'm assuming fairly handy doing maintenance & repairs (I could be wrong).

Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Extended Service Plan" Not needed if you don't allow the dealer to service your bike. There's nothing there for me to extend.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I would look at it this way. If your planning on buying the bike, then taking off on a cross the country tour where your going from one side of the country to the other several times within a two year period, buy the warranty. But if your going to buy the bike and ride it 1k miles a summer only, save the money. Any problems you might have will be covered under the factory warranty.,,

Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 AM
barncat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my FXDWG, they tried selling me the ESP and a Maint. plan. The total of both was $4000+.
I declined it on the premise that, if I needed to do $4000 in repairs, I'd push the bike of a cliff, and let insurance total the bike.
Not sure what the cost is going to be for you, but I would pass.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:07 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I think those that have problems abuse there bikes in many cases. I've had my 05 since new and only issue it has had was a weeping shift shaft seal. I don't hot rod and keep up the maintenance and other than the aforementioned seal have had 65,000 trouble free miles.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
No offense but I think you may be too "sensitive". I have a legitimate question regarding a bike that has a long time irrefutable reputation for minor and a few major issues. I had one. I know they can be as temperamental as a Ferrari.

I never thought of tire insurance. The last time I replaced tires. I bought Metzlers they cost $400 purchased and installed by the dealer. I don't mind that kind of expense.
You're a bit thick aren't you? Tire insurance is for picking up a nail and etc. the streets are increasingly littered with crap. Replacing the rear tire on a touring bike is more than $350. They don't plug motorcycle tires and I wouldn't trust one anyway. My $200 two-year insurance paid off on the Fat Boy's new tire the first month I owned it.

Being the practical guy you seem to be, I think you should stick to metrics. They have four on the floor at Sac Harley, all under $6K, Ugly, shaft driven and cheezy if you look closely at the workmanship. But with all the terrible issues with Harleys, they might be your cup of tea. A co-worker has 120K on her 98 Dyna; been to Sturgis three times and across the country twice. Heads have never been off and she's done nothing but change the oil and buy tires. Irrefutable reputation my ***...

Last edited by bjewell; 01-21-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Sagido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look at the Extended Service Plan as "Peace of Mind". I boughtmy new bike in November 2012, and before pulling the trigger on my plan withthe tire and wheel coverage, I talked at length to my service manager. I liketo do my own service, and had planned some routine mods. I put a SEPST Tuner, V&H Power Duals,and 255 cams. Nothing radical, butwanted the motor livened up a little. Yes there are a bunch of technical terms inthe contract, but the service department you deal with is the one that is goingto make the determination if it is covered. I also put over 10k miles on abike every year, and this year I am planning on a cross country trip, and maybeMilwaukee for the 110th. I domy own service the most important thing is to keep records (filter, oil, gasketkits; receipts). Well maintainedequipment is no guarantee things will not go wrong, but it’s nice to know theplan is there if needed.

Now to address “TenMidgets” specifically. If you buy a used bike fromsomeone other than a dealer it must pass an inspection prior to purchasing aservice plan. The bike I traded wasinspected for the purpose of an ESP for the next purchaser, and he was toldthey would like a new clutch cable since it had a small leak (recently switchedto synthetic), other than that the bike was fine with 22k miles on it. Harley Davidson makes very reliablemotorcycles, and I had only minor issues with my previous bikes. You know your own situation and riding/maintenancehabits, so do what is right for you.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Every HD forum I am reading has people saying "buy the extended warranty" I have never purchased an extended warranty on any bike or anything I have purchased in 30 years nor have I seen so many indications to do so on those forums. In fact most people and consumer advocates say it's a waste of money. I agree. But many here seem to think it is a requirement on these bikes.

I thought HD was more reliable nowadays?
Which "HD" forums are you referring to?

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a Harley but...