General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wondering why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
rns99
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wondering why?

Been thinking about getting a job as the service manager at a local dealer,and was wondering why you do or do not take your bike to the dealer. Even if its for repairs or scheduled maintenance.
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM
IslandHopper
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because I do it myself.
If I can't do it, (or don't have the time), I wouldn't hesitate to go the local HD dealers.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

make sure you are on commission, that way you won't feel so bad about the ridiculous prices that the dealers charge...at least you will be putting money in your pocket.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:09 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

My local Indy shop here in SW Fl. knows HD bikes better than the HD shop. A simple fix like clutch adjustment made me a believer.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

I use shops where I know the history of the mechanics-note I say "mechanic" and not technician- a night and day difference. When I pay for work it goes to them and their families, not Milwaukee.

My past experience is of half done work probably based on the dealership time driven service schedule- some of the half work would have killed me if I didn't double check it.

I have a friend who brought his in for scheduled service, and he put a tick mark with a sharpie on the fasteners and parts to be R&R'd or checked. More than half were never touched even though the service called for it.

Service personnel aren't paid good wages while the dealership rakes in the greatest amount for the square footage- H-D corp killed the good vibe dealerships I grew up with.

Attached Thumbnails Wondering why?-51tnwdaasll._sl500_aa300_.jpg  
Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Because I called my dealer wanting WWW tires installed on my 2012 Heritage and was quoted $780.00 installed. So I bought them myself $268 shipped to my door and got my Indy mechanic to install them for $100 and a handshake. Total savings $412.00

Now I know we all have to make a living, but come on.... That's way too much. If I was in the buisness, I'd rather charge many people less than a few very high. Those charged less will keep on coming back... Those on the other end never will.

Good luck.

Last edited by cruzomatic; 01-20-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Adrian Thompson
Cruiser

I have a service manual and try to de everything myself. If I can't do it or don't have time time, I take it to smaller shops in the area. Certified Harley mechs at half the cost.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

The good dealer in my area closed. The 'other' dealer caused damage the one time they had the bike. I called many times and even sent a letter to the owner and never got a response/reply. The guy that caused the damage would not admit it. I buy parts there, but they'll never see my bike in service. Especially since there's a very good and trustworthy independent only 4 miles away and their labor rate is much less than the HD shop.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by rns99
Been thinking about getting a job as the service manager at a local dealer,and was wondering why you do or do not take your bike to the dealer. Even if its for repairs or scheduled maintenance.
Thanks in advance.
Because these things are easy to work on and service. Saves money too.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 PM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Because these things are easy to work on and service. Saves money too.
&

I do it myself. I find that my service and repair standards are higher than those at the local dealer.

Quick Reply: Wondering why?