General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying an 07 street glide. Any issues with the first year 96 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 AM
chevdude
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about buying an 07 street glide. Any issues with the first year 96 6 speed?

........and parking the Dyna. I'm looking at an 07 street glide. I haven't heard anything in peticular with the 07 models. Being first year and all. Any issues with the 07 models in general?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Donny Peterson is currently running a series of columns on just this subject in American Iron Magazine. I suggest you take a look. There are some things you might be interested in. Started a couple months ago.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 AM
fdb2007
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had an 07 RK and put 55K troublefree miles on it. Kept it stock other than pipes and breather.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 AM
chevdude
Road Captain

Good info....I'll check out American Iron. Is that and online publication?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 AM
chevdude
Road Captain

Originally Posted by machinistmate
Donny Peterson is currently running a series of columns on just this subject in American Iron Magazine. I suggest you take a look. There are some things you might be interested in. Started a couple months ago.
Do you have a link? Is it in the forums, the tech section, or do I need to buy the magazine?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Search the touring forum and the General Forum for 6 speed - you'll find info on bad bearings and some other not so fun stuff.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:32 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

They have enough years of use on them for the long term problems to start showing up on 07's. I've kept track of this stuff because i have a 07 Road Glide. With big bore and power increase especially the flywheels will often scissor taking out most of the motor. On my 07 103" with 55,000 miles nothing has happened yet but i am planning on checking the pinion shaft for excessive runout and if not in spec, taking the motor apart and having the flywheels trued and welded before it takes the motor out with it. My transmission will have to be taken completely apart sometime this year and a new shifter bushing installed in the transmission case. The shaft is visibly loose in the bushing and the seal will soon start to leak. I figure on replacing the transmission bearings at that time. I also found one of the hydraulic tensioners was defective and worn out at 16,000 miles when i went in to install cams. I was riding with a guy on a 07 Softail last year when the motor went out from scissored flywheels. Trashed the motor before he knew anything was wrong. We just stopped for gas and when it started up no oil pressure. My opinion stay away from 07.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

For what its worth, I have an 07 Ultra Classic, stock through and through. The only add on was the Isolated Drive System. I maintained the bike at the Harley shop per schedule, running Syn3 in all holes. In 68.000 miles, the only issue I've had with the bike's drive train is the inner primary bearing. This failed at about 40,000 miles. One quirk is related to the EFI and/or O2 sensors, and that is on occasion, the bike will quit running, or won't start. Turning the switch off and back on solves it. It happens very infrequently, like once every six months or so.

I've had zero problems with the six speed. It shifts smooth every time, though it does have the well known Harley "Clunk" from neutral to first.

I've been very happy with this bike. I ride most every day and have taken some long trips on it too. I would leave tomorrow morning for the East Coast without hesitation (weather permitting and kitchen clearance). FWIW.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 PM
chillymac
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 07 flstf compensator knocked tooth off ring gear, had to replace clutch and compensator.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have a 07 FXSTC that I bought new in Aug 06. No performance mods on it and it has started and ran great. Still on the original battery. There was a recall in 07 to put a plastic guard around the battery to prevent the negative post from touching the frame. A few bikes got fried on that problem.

Mine just runs and runs. No issues at all. That's why I keep it and won't ever sell it. The touring bikes did have some 5th gear noise that has a fix available.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying an 07 street glide. Any issues with the first year 96 6 speed?