General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Bashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007 | 12:46 AM
Softail Sam
Tourer
Default RE: Harley Bashing

I guess what I don't understand is why the hell anyone with a Harley would go to a Goldwing forum and #2, why the hell would you care what they have to say? I don't give a rats **** if they like my ride or not and I sure don't much care what they are riding.

Old 02-07-2007 | 01:11 AM
crushem77
Tourer

I have experienced some of what I consider "reverse-discrimination" since I got my Harley. This is my first H-D and I've owned 2 older Hondas (in fact my trade-in for Monique was an 81 GoldWing, which was a great bike...when it ran) and one old Suzuki. All of my friends that I ride withhave late-model Hondas and a Yamaha or 2, and all was cool when I was metric. But since I went all H-D on them, all I hear is that I'm paying too much. Mine will be broke down in 5 years and theirs will be running circles around mine. I'm only paying for a logo on a gas tank. It is supposedly done in jest, but I believe I detect a teeny tiny bit of bitterness with the jesting. I used to hear a lot of H-D bashing. I never contributed because I always said all along if I could ever get a Harley, I would in a heartbeat. I mean, if you have a choice, why not get the real thing instead of the immitation? I'm not bad-mouthing metrics, they aregreat bikes if you don't want to put out the scratch for a Harley, I'mjust stating the truth. Almost all Japanese metric marques have at least one model that tries veryhard to win theFat Boy Look-a-like contest. Some that look like the illigitimate love-child of a Wide Glide and a Sportster and everything in between.
I do get my shots in when the insults start. When they start in on how much I'm paying, I just tell them quality costs. When they start in about their Hondas still running and mine being broke down in a few years, I just reply that even if mine is broke down, it'll still be worth about what I paid for it...what will theirs be worth then? And this isn't the 70's or 80's. Harleys are more reliable than ever. When mine does wear out, mine can be rebuilt. Metrics are pretty much one-time use. When they're cashed, you simply have to toss them and get another one.
It's just funny to me how just because I have a Harley now, it's like everyone expects me to act differently to them, and in fact they treat ME differently. I've even sensed a little jealousy from some long-time friends that I would never have expected it from. The stereo-type is that Harley people will relentlessly bad-mouth owners of metrics for no real good reason. It seems like I'm getting the bashing because I got a Harley instead of a metric, just the opposite of the stereo-type. Did the roles reverse and I just never got the memo? I'm very easy to get along with. I wave at everyone I pass on 2 wheels, even old fellers on step-through scooters. We're all out there enjoying the same freedom and sharing the same risks.
When a close friend of mine got a brand new Honda Aero I was genuinely happy for them and told them as much. It's a good-looking bike and it's whatthey wanted. A few months later when I was considering buying a Yamaha Roadstar we were cool. But when I toldthem I bought a Harley, suddenly all the "good-natured" ribbing. I just see it as me investing a little more of a commitment to riding and the lifestyle. To each his own. We all have our own tastes. To quote Dennis Miller, "that's why Kiss made four solo albums - one man's Gene Simmons is another man's Ace Frehley." If you ride at all, more power to ya, especially if it's what you dig, whatever the logo on the gas tank says.

Old 02-07-2007 | 01:21 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

I could have purchased basically any brand of bike. I went with Harley because I always wanted one. I have owned Hondas, Suzukis. Only one bike. I have dreamed of owning a Harley. So now I own a Sportie. Why? I wanted a bare bones bike that was affordable that had a grunt like a bull that was fun to ride.

Old 02-07-2007 | 01:41 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

Back in '85 when I first started riding, a buddy of mine dragged me directly to a Harley dealer. As a total newbie, I wanted something that I could learn on, would be forgiving to idiotic rookie mistakes, and not break the bank. (I wasn't making a fortune back then...not that I am now...but I was spending the vast majority of my 'fortune' on smokes, booze and chasing girls...needs something that wouldn't bust me with the monthly payment...) I nearly had a stroke when I saw the price of the 883. (Seems to me around $8K or something...) We immediately headed for the nearest Honda dealership, and I bought an '84500 Shadow. (Despite my friend's insistence I'd be bored in a year, and dumping it...) I learned to be a decent rider on that bike, but my friend was right. After one year I was bored with it, and traded it in. For another Honda. An '85V45 Magna. (I have a habit of going for previous year's models...) My wife and I ended up doing our honeymoon on that bike. We still have it. Other than an incident with a tire, which beat the back end off the bike back in '90, this bike has never given me a lick of problem. She's one tired old girl now, but after 150,000 kms and minimal maintenance you'd be tired too. Back in '99 I was ready for something new. Well, something different. I picked up an '84 Gold Wing Aspencade. I've ridden the hell out of that thing the last 7 summers, and other than a glitch with the stator early on (an EXPENSIVE glitch! LOL), it has been problem free. However since Harley introduced the Fat Boy, I've been dreaming of one. This year I finally decided to bite the bullet. I got my first Harley. An '04 Fat Boy. With a mere 3500+ kms on it, and $6K worth of extras already on it. As far as I'm concerned, I stole it! (I won't say the price, for fear of hearing different...I'm happy with the deal, and don't want to know if I got hosed...LOL) If metric bike riders want to ramp on me, because I finally got the bike of my dreams, then let them have at it. I'll miss my 'Wing, but fortunately she's not going too far...I'm selling it to my Dad, who's decided to get back into the biking scene after a 42 year absence. As I said, aside fm my FLSTFI, I still have my V45, and my wife has her '03 800 Vulcan. (Another great bike...but an obvious Harley imitation...) I briefly considered a Yamaha Road Star, but I ended up with the real McCoy for about the same price. (The H-D will cost me an extra $21 a month, from what a new Road Star would have...$21 well spent, I think...) I won't become a metric bike hater, nor will I become a Harley fanatic...just satisfied with my purchase. As we all should be...regardless of our choice. As someone else said, we're not making the monthly payment, so why slam someone else's choice of bike? Like we're not all taking the same risk out there?? My 2 cents...

Old 02-07-2007 | 01:42 AM
Katie
Elite HDF Member

I just feel sorry for those with such low self-esteem, that they feel they have to bash other vehicle makes, just to increase their own sense of self-worth...

Old 02-07-2007 | 01:47 AM
The Punisher
Banned

As long as there are Harleys, there will be Haters.

Old 02-07-2007 | 02:53 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer

I am a regular on a sport touring forum and have been going there less and less. Within one day there is at least 3 new threads on "A Harley guy didn't wave back" or "I saw a Harley in a pickup today" or "Why would anybody buy a Harley? "

Funny thing is a lot of these threads are by BMW riders who:
1) Paid the same if not more for their bike
2) BMW is NOT the pinnacle of reliability
3) call HD riders RUBS while in their $800 aerostich and accounting firm job.

I am strting to belive people just suck all the way around. [&o]

Old 02-07-2007 | 04:15 AM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

I know of one board that has a Goldwing vs Harley area. There are only a few of the over 2000 members that actually go there and berate HD's. I'd venture to say, less than 50 or so if you read the posts. Many Wing owners feel that as long as you ride, you're fine. most HD owners feel that way also. Many wing owners also ride Harleys. If you love to ride, you're OK. Don't get yer panties in a bunch over a small group of folks. They are in all forums, Harley, Honda, Sportbike, you name it. Most folks don't bash others because of what they ride, to increase their self worth...as has been mentioned. That knife cuts both ways if it were true.

Old 02-07-2007 | 09:18 AM
nearmiss
Cruiser

Having been on several different motorcycle sites, the goldwingers that berated harleys seemed to truly hate them. It was not necessarily tongue and cheek. The BMW crowd was more mellow as was the sport tourer crowd. Never visited the ricer sites.

Old 02-07-2007 | 09:37 AM
jwb47
Road Warrior

its envy , ego, and validation of there purchase .

Quick Reply: Harley Bashing