General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enricher doesn't like to Enrich!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Jarhead Red
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enricher doesn't like to Enrich!

Hey folks!

I was just reading the "How I warm up my bike" thread. Lot's of different ideas there. I like the one guy that actually read and posted the instructions for the carbed bikes. I was just wandering if anyone else has the issue of their enricher **** not staying pulled out.

I'll pull the **** out and it starts sliding back in right away. I usually end up having to sit there and hold it. Just curious if anyone else has had or dealt with this issue?

Went to a local dealer's BIKE NITE last night and saw this jewel.....looks like a Christmas ornament someone forgot to put away till next year!!

Attached Thumbnails Enricher doesn't like to Enrich!-ornament-3.jpg   Enricher doesn't like to Enrich!-onrament-2.jpg   Enricher doesn't like to Enrich!-ornament-1.jpg  
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM
TheRooster
Road Master

Yes, I use the enrichener **** to warm up my bike. There are times when it's *really* cold out that I leave it out just a touch to keep the engine running well. . .if not, I get backfires.

Yes, I've had the issue. When I had it in for an oil change I let the shop know. There's just a nut on the end of it that needs tightened I guess.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,160 Likes on 6,705 Posts

You didn't say where it's mounted...mine is under the left side tank, but at the back of the mounting plate there is a nut you can tighten. It fits the cable guide and "pinches" the cable depending on how tight the nut is on it. Don't go crazy though, because overdoing it will make it want to torque itself out of the slot it's mounted into, and/or ruin it entirely.

I would imagine a dash mount is similar.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

" I like the one guy that actually read and posted the instructions..."

There in, lies your quandary 'grasshopper'.

Behind the bracket which holds the enrichener ****, is a pressed metal hex nut. Loosen that nut, enough to drop the enrichener cable down and out of the bracket. Between the **** that you pull out, and the nut that you had to loosen to drop it down, is a round knurled plastic nut which is used to tighten the plastic housing around that portion of the cable. That round plastic nut is turned by hand, just until the cable no longer slips back on it's own. The threaded plastic housing, which the round plastic nut turns onto, has two flat sides. Which can be used to hold with a wrench, of proper size, while tightening the round plastic nut onto the plastic housing.

I mentioned plastic enough times, I hope you caught on that it IS made of PLASTIC, and as such can AND WILL break if over tightened. If you simply tighten the metal nut behind the bracket which RHPAW spoke of in his rendition, you will be lucky if the cable is just pushed out of the bracket. Most likely you will break, or at the very least crack the plastic cable housing, as forcing the pressed metal nut WHICH HOLDS THE MECHANISM IN THE BRACKET will surely be putting excess pressure on the round plastic nut which is SUPPOSED to be used to tighten the housing around the cable.

Let me clarify... The ROUND PLASTIC NUT is used to adjust the tension of the ****. The PRESSED METAL HEX NUT behind the bracket is what holds the cable in place in the bracket. DO NOT USE THE PRESSED METAL NUT behind the bracket to tighten the cable tension. It is not made to do that.

I'm not quite sure if I mentioned the one most important thing though...

READ THE F'CKIN MANUAL!!!

Last edited by Def Mute; 01-18-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Mine has a knurled round nut just behind the **** that you pull out. Turn the round nut clockwise to increase tension in the cable to keep it out or.....turn it counter clockwise to decrease tension.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After that I will just comment on the green flake bike. I have noticed alot of Harley dealers doing a real similar build with the big flake 72, mini-apes which are standard, and throw-back white grips and white spring seat. However, I have not seen folks throwing the fish tails on there. That bike is certainly one that would stand out in a crowd, for better or worse. I like those white seats, though. They remind me of the big white seats on 50s and 60s Harley's. The ones with the metal bar across the back. I pick em up where ever I see em. Never put em on a bike but think about it.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Jarhead Red
Tourer

Originally Posted by Def Mute
" I like the one guy that actually read and posted the instructions..."

Let me clarify... The ROUND PLASTIC NUT is used to adjust the tension of the ****. The PRESSED METAL HEX NUT behind the bracket is what holds the cable in place in the bracket. DO NOT USE THE PRESSED METAL NUT behind the bracket to tighten the cable tension. It is not made to do that.
So........what you're saying is........It's round AND plastic......whew, you just blew my mind! Thanks Mute! Very well detailed.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

If you drop the bowl off your carb and replace the pilot jet with one size bigger, your bike will warm up without the enrichner except to start when it is cold. And, your bike will run better and still get great gas mileage. After starting mine using the enrichner, I just use the throttle lock to keep it at a moderately fast idle till she warms up a little. I never need the enrichner for riding.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Guess the forum gods have found the word ĸ*** to be offensive to some members...
(For those who weren't sure, in the above posts, **** = ĸ***)

Actually what I said was...

READ THE F'CKIN MANUAL!!!

And, yer quite welcome!

Last edited by Def Mute; 01-19-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampakingpin
After that I will just comment on the green flake bike. I have noticed alot of Harley dealers doing a real similar build with the big flake 72, mini-apes which are standard, and throw-back white grips and white spring seat. However, I have not seen folks throwing the fish tails on there. That bike is certainly one that would stand out in a crowd, for better or worse. I like those white seats, though. They remind me of the big white seats on 50s and 60s Harley's. The ones with the metal bar across the back. I pick em up where ever I see em. Never put em on a bike but think about it.
Well that explains it better than any of the other answers including mine.