General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn that hurts (Update)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007 | 11:40 AM
LIRIDE
Road Warrior
Default RE: Damn that hurts (Update)

It's 33% PLUS expenses. That includes paying for records/reports, filing/motion feescharged bythe court, any medical expert or for that matter someone they subpoena onyour behalfin the event matter has to go to trial.Anything they "layout" is eventually takenfrom the settlementwhen you settle.Worse case, it could amount to a few thousand plus the 33% (at least in N.Y.).

What is the statue of limitations in your state (how long from the date of theaccident do you have to file suit)?

Ask about this before you sign retainer. I'm not suggesting you act as your own attorney just think this out before you decide.

Good luck

Old 02-07-2007 | 01:09 PM
vegashd
Banned

I had a friend who dealt with Russ Brown. This guy did him right. He made out well got everything taken careincluding medical, lost wagesand bike replaced...

www.russbrown.com

Old 02-07-2007 | 01:35 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

As much as I hate dealing with lawyers, I would have to agree on using one in your case.
I could no doubt out do most people, when it came to ranting, if a similar situation happened to me.
I hope everything turns out well for you,
Tom

Old 02-07-2007 | 01:47 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

Seek the counsel of a qualified board certified attorney. Only then will you truly know what avenues you have at your disposal. Every incident and each case is different. What one person may have received/experienced could have absolutely no bearing on your particular situation at hand. See a lawyer or two if need be. One last thing I would advise, don't sign **** for anyone(regardless of how insignificant a document it may appear to be; fine print's a bitch) until such time that you have consulted with an attorney.

Old 02-07-2007 | 02:20 PM
HondaRocket1
Banned

Holy Cow! You could have bought 2 bike like mine!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/24584/ECFBA8CE0A95426AB1D6B8E0B0239F5B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24584/341E65EDB9E54F2BB4AE5965FE5281E3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24584/152AD444903F41FBB845A2926B5DC28E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-07-2007 | 02:26 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HondaRocket1

Holy Cow! You could have bought 2 bike like mine!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/24584/ECFBA8CE0A95426AB1D6B8E0B0239F5B.jpg[/IMG]
Yep - the Harley is worth twice as much!

Old 02-07-2007 | 02:54 PM
djkolp
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: vegashd

I had a friend who dealt with Russ Brown. This guy did him right. He made out well got everything taken careincluding medical, lost wagesand bike replaced...

www.russbrown.com
Vegashd,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I called Russ Brown's office out in Califonia and they hooked me up with an attorney in Fort Lauderdale. I may not see a plug nickel from this accident, but their attorney is a stand up guy who has taken a load off my mind. I will have more information in a few days thatmight havesome of you running to your insurance companies to update your coverages! Oh yea, the "Law Tigers" you know, the lawyers who ride, never called back. Guess the're out riding.

DJK

Old 02-07-2007 | 11:35 PM
alazlo
Road Master

First.. everything is a negotiation. Most attorneys will negotiate their fee if you try. The insurance company is gonna negotiate, with you or your attorney.
Ref Insurance
I had agreed value insurance on my Pan. It costs more but well worth it. I had to submit photos and other information to the insurance company to show the bike was worth what I claimed. They evaluated what I provided and agreed with me on the payout if the bike was totaled or stolen & not recovered. No debate.

with Stated value:The amount shown in the Schedule or in the Declarations is not necessarily the amount you will receive at the time of “loss” for the described property. It is the most you will receive.

This link provides a decent explanation:
http://www.faia.com/web/2005/08/stat...eed_value.aspx

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:33 AM
mgumto
Banned

In Scottsdale a few years ago, I was hit while waiting to make a right hand turn. Spent the next 6 months once a week at chiropractor's office. In the end, they healed me up, and I sued the lady's insurance company for what turned out to be for a LOT more than I thought I would get. Now, I'm not a sue happy bastard, but the bottom line is "pain and suffering" definately sucks and you need to be properly compensated no matter how minor or severe the pain. Not to mention who knows what long term problems you may encounter later in life...get an attorney immediately. Your case sounds real good and most firms will take it with no money down, and will give you at least 2/3 of what they recover....GET AN ATTORNEY!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:44 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

Yes get a lawyer. I have gap insurance in case any of that crap happened to me..

BTW, I see the pesky little nat is still flying around the forums. Anyone have any off?