General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward controls with short inseam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward controls with short inseam?

I am working on paying off a 2010 Fat Bob, and noticed a very nice, low-mileage 2003 Deuce at the dealer. (There's never too many bikes.) Both have forward controls, but I have a 29" inseam. My feet comfortably get flat on the ground with both bikes, but I am worried about legs having to be straight out to reach pegs and forward controls. Can I do this, or will reduced reach controls or seats be
necessary? No riding time on either yet .Thanks for your
advice.

Last edited by Xube; 01-16-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:59 PM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a Dyna with forwards and a Softail now. In my opinion the Softail controls are closer then the Dyna's were. I have a 30" inseam and had no problem with either. I'd actually prefer a little more room on the Softail.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 PM
TeamXtreme
Cruiser

I've got forward controls on my softail, and with a 30 inch inseam have no issues. But ultimately it's a personal preference. I ride my Ultra most often with my feet on the hwy pegs as I was so used to the forward controls.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Never been a fan of forwards, even if I could reach them comfortably. I like the control of having mids. However, I believe what sagebrush said is correct. Softail forwards seem a bit closer than a Dyna. Floor boards or stirrups may be a good option for you, and also I believe for some models they make forwards that sit a bit closer than the stock ones. Some guys have even done that mod themselves.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 PM
chopNdrop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im 5' 6" with about a 28" inseam. I run standard fowards on my dyna with 14" apes and le para bare bones. I do notice myself pointing my toes out to use the brake and shifter occasionally depending on my sitting position, but wouldn't consider it uncomfortable.

Im also running heel rests and they help alot. You can adjust them to your liking, and also adjust your shifter arm to down to help if your toes are pointed a bit.

Im about to switch to way smaller pegs, and ditch the heel guards to finish my 'edge cut' them.

If they wind up being a little far after i do so i plan on buying the Reduced Reach control kit that moves them about 1" closer.

Go for it, if it was a dyna you might have troubles, but it depends on the person and the setup. Worst case is you put the Reduced Reach kit on.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I feel better about adapting to these bikes with stirrups as a milder mod, and reduced reach if I'm uncomfortable. Would be embarrassing for my foot to fall off the peg.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 PM
chopNdrop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear. I also was worried about it when i bought mine. Its my first bike and the first ive ridden with fowards. Said screw it, 2 miles down the road and i never worried again.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Emmo
Advanced

I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I bought a 2009 Super Glide Custom this summer with forward controls. Like you, I was concerned that the controls would be too much of a reach, but have had no issues. So far I have only made short rides, no more than half a day, but no problems. I did test ride the same bike with mid controls and didn't like the feel it. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 2012 FXDF and only a 29" inseam. I first installed a reduced reach seat then installed floor boards, perfect. I now have a Saddleman. I sit with both feet firmly on the ground and have no reach issues at all.
Bob

Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up RE: Forward Controls

You'll be okay with the forward controls. I have a 30" inseam, and the forward controls are very comfortable and easy to reach.

I've pounded out a bunch of 600+ mile days with them. To me, they are much more comfortable than mid controls. Another advantage I found is that they put your weight on your thighs rather than your tailbone, making the seat more comfortable too.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Forward controls with short inseam?