General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna and Softail balance

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013 | 06:14 AM
Albert F
|
Intermediate
Default Dyna and Softail balance

Hi Guys,

I was looking for some advice. I've currently got a Honda VTX 1300C. By last year I had hoped to have had the funds to get either a Fat Bob or a FLSTF - I'm hoping this will be the year for it!

Bear with me on this one - one of the reasons (there are a few!) for changing from Honda is that I find the bike itself is slightly unbalanced to the degree that when I'm riding on it my line of sight is not centred straight down through the two bar risers but rather to the left by about an inch. Basically in order to balance the bike I am having to sit slightly left of centre which in turn makes the balance in my hands on the bars a little uneven.

I would be really grateful if people could chip in with their opinions as to whether the Dynas of Softails are balanced so you guys are sitting dead centre when riding?

While I'm on the subject of choice of HD I commute every day all year round and am out on weekends for 3-4 hour spins. Would anyone have any advice as to whether the FXDF or the FLSTF would be the more suitable ride comfrot wise etc. or is that opening a whole can of worms??

Thanks!

Al

Old 01-16-2013 | 07:21 AM
TheRooster
Road Master

Just my $.02US, go with the Fat Boy if you're going to go riding for long distances.

I have the issue of my feet basically feeling like they're wrapping around the pegs on longer distance rides. I wish I could get floorboards installed on my FXST. That's the only comfort issue I can think of.

And as far as my limited experience, yes, Harleys are balanced. I rode 5 or 6 when I test rode for my current FXST. All straight, all centered, all balanced. For getting on a big twin for the first time, I was actually surprised at how easy they are to hold up and control.

Old 01-16-2013 | 07:56 AM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain

Not sure what's going on with your Honda but both the bikes you mention are well balanced and good riding bikes. My last bike was a Fat Boy so that was my choice, but it's really all about what feels best to you. Rent both for one day each and you'll figure it out real quick (plus have a lot of fun in the process.) Good luck with your choice, both are great bikes.

Old 01-16-2013 | 08:14 AM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army

The problem I had with the fatboy is the solid wheels. I felt like I was getting blown all over on the highway. Look at FLD it gives you best of both cruiser and dresser +light dresser anyway+ and is smooth and comfortable for commutes. Though if lots of lots of long drives road glide is my favorite...

Old 01-16-2013 | 08:30 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheRooster
Just my $.02US, go with the Fat Boy if you're going to go riding for long distances.

I have the issue of my feet basically feeling like they're wrapping around the pegs on longer distance rides. I wish I could get floorboards installed on my FXST. That's the only comfort issue I can think of.

And as far as my limited experience, yes, Harleys are balanced. I rode 5 or 6 when I test rode for my current FXST. All straight, all centered, all balanced. For getting on a big twin for the first time, I was actually surprised at how easy they are to hold up and control.
Why can't you get floorboards installed? A kit like this wouldn't work?

http://www.debrix.com/Late-Style-Flo...p/25512-m1.htm

Old 01-16-2013 | 09:15 AM
TheRooster
Road Master

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Why can't you get floorboards installed? A kit like this wouldn't work?

http://www.debrix.com/Late-Style-Flo...p/25512-m1.htm
I was looking for a mounting like the other cruisers with the dual mount points. The boards don't seem to stick out as far and look quite as. . .gimp-ish, shall we say?

Old 01-16-2013 | 10:10 AM
Dibs
Cruiser

Generally speaking, if you can correct a lean issue with just your upper body, it's not considered abnormal. If you have to shift your whole body, then either the engine, or rear wheel is out of alignment, and should be checked.

HDs can have the same problem, but are easy to fix usually. Mine was good right from the factory, but a friend of mine's was off, and he had only one butt-cheek on the seat. Took it down, and 30 minutes later it was fixed.

I lean towards the Dyna platform for comfort and handling. It's lighter, and feels peppier with the A motor. They shake when you are sitting still, lugging the motor, or are near redline. Otherwise, it's incredibly smooth. I've turned 500 mile days on my wide glide and never had an issue.

I don't really have that much experience past a few test rides on the softails, so I don't really want to comment on those, other then they are extremely smooth at nearly any speed.

Old 01-16-2013 | 11:28 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

The Dyna Fat Bob is the best handling bike HD has ever built IMO.
Nothing wrong with a Fat Boy either...both are great bikes, just different.

Old 01-16-2013 | 11:57 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

The Superglide I ride here and there has a buzz right at the RPM I cruise at where as my Softail is smoother. The Dyna is like a larger sportster.

Old 01-16-2013 | 12:06 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

I'd agree that you should go rent both for a day and take the bikes on the kind of rides you will do most of.

Quick Reply: Dyna and Softail balance