General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna and Softail balance

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013 | 08:28 AM
Albert F
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
I've had both and it depends on the type of rider you are. If you are an aggressive rider that loves dicing up curvy roads than the Dyna is your best bet but if you like a smooth laid back ride than I think the softail is your best bet. Remember the dyna has A engine which vibrates at idle but smooths out once you get underway and the softails have the B engine which is smooth as glass until you get to higher speeds. Hope this helps

Thanks for that. I was aware of the A and B engines alright and the idle vibration on the Dynas so long as it is not eccessive. When you say the B engine only starts vibrating in the higher speeds what kind of speed are you talking about. If it's cruising speeds of say 70mph would it not cause fatigue after any extended period of time?

Old 01-17-2013 | 08:50 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Albert F
Thanks for that. I was aware of the A and B engines alright and the idle vibration on the Dynas so long as it is not eccessive. When you say the B engine only starts vibrating in the higher speeds what kind of speed are you talking about. If it's cruising speeds of say 70mph would it not cause fatigue after any extended period of time?
No problem. Most softail owners will tell you that a properly tuned softail with a good set of exhaust will hit 100+ before you noticed any real vibration. Some experience vibrations at 70 and it is usually because of loose spokes. I love both Dynas and softails but prefer the softail because of the B engine.

Old 01-17-2013 | 08:56 AM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, you can quickly answer this question with some rentals or a test ride. I believe both bikes will be balanced, but your Honda should also be balanced. Pretty sure Ural is the only bike company that sells intentionally unbalanced bikes (JK - they have a side car). Best of luck.