General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fLD to a sporty 48 bobber.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Combatcond
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lmfao bigjames, yes half way there. That's what one of my bros said to lower it, etc but was wondering of the added expenses, howntheybrapenu at the dealer.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Afrobaron
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a test ride on a sporty and see if you like it.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM
jwhardin
Road Master

Originally Posted by Combatcond
My riding buddies say I'm nuts for doing such a thing. What say you?
who you going to listen to? Your buddies or people on the internet?

so I then bought q fld nice ride, butnfeel it's too big for me, not too comfortable with slow maneuvering
get the little bike.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,450 Likes on 2,040 Posts

Who are you trying to make happy, us, your buddies, or yourself?Thats your answer.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 87 Posts

Try taking a class. If you have trouble controlling a dyna, you might just need more skill.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 PM
Combatcond
6th Gear

I'm not trying to please nobody. It's just their imput is making me second-guess the switch. I guess lowering the shocks will work, bought a la Pera seat that makes my feet touch the floor. Love the abs, etc... I just don't want to kick myself in the *** three years from now when I upgrade to a bigger bike,?lol. Thanks guys for all yr help n advice willmbe considered. Much respect

Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 AM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want the sporty and thats whats comfortable and meets your needs get it. A big twin is a waste doing short hops especially if your solo. 200 mile round trip "trips" are not road trips their an afternoon running around on the bike. Thats no problem on a sporty even with a passenger and a tour bag on a rack. Sporty's also are a lot more fun to ride and feel more zippy than the big twins due to their lower weight. I love my heritage but I ride as much as I can and mostly with the wife. If I was doing short hops I would've kept the sporty, wish I still had it for solo. Most that trash sporty never had one because they were afraid people would say they had a "girls bike" so they refer to it as that now too, or their too soft to ride anything that takes them out of the comfort level of their favorite lazyboy.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

The FLD is one sweet ride. To me it is the heritage classic of the Dyna class. I would suggest you take a step back for a moment and evaluate what you need and want in a motorcycle. There are a lot of choices out there and if you are not sure you could just keeping making the same mistake over and over again. Do your research (Internet search, rental, test ride, reviews) and make an educated decision. Just make sure you know what you are getting and what you are getting into so this time around you won't be disappointed. Good luck on your decision.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

It sounds like we are a little opposite, but the wisdom of bike shopping is the same. When I went to pick out my bike I had salesman say all sorts of things from "you won't be happy unless you buy the biggest touring bike" to "just get what you love."

There might be a little bit of a subtle issue going on. Sometimes a bigger, balanced bike will handle as well or better than a smaller bike. You really have to spend some time. Folks have offered the suggestion to lower the bike. I have purchased two lowered versions of motorcycles and noticed a difference in the center of gravity which affects your countersteering and movement. However, I have a couple of bikes in my garage with different set ups and major differences in weight/size. Each bike rides a little different but given time and experience you can adapt.

If the decision is going to cost you a lot of money, I would make sure that I spent some time on the Sporty before purchase to make sure you have a grasp on the issues. Someone once told me that a small woman should be able to ride the biggest bike given solid riding skill development.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 AM
sluhtteR
3rd Gear

I'm going to agree with everyone who says that you should lower your current bike.

Quick Reply: fLD to a sporty 48 bobber.