General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Cold to Ride.....In Southern California?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013 | 11:47 AM
danzio
|
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Too Cold to Ride.....In Southern California?

I am a SOCAL native, born and raised closing in on 57 years. There's a lot NOT to like about this beautiful state, most all of it can be traced to those Poli butts up in Sacramento. There is much to like however with regards to year 'round riding weather and some of the finest scenic rides anywhere. Even my signature says "Year round ridin'". However the past few weeks have kept me off my sickle. I don't mind a little chill in the air but riding in 30-40 degree weather just takes all the fun out of it. I know I'm getting laughed at right now by you mid-westerners who think 38 degress is mild, but for the first time in all my years of ridin' I'm now looking into getting a pair of chaps. I never thought I'd see the day.

Old 01-15-2013 | 12:24 PM
o-townFLA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it...! The right gear makes all the difference that's for sure. A one hour trip at 80mph can difinetly get chilly.... It was 10 degrees when I rode home the other day but it's mainly been in the 20's to 30's when riding into work...

Old 01-15-2013 | 12:28 PM
blackchipjim
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the weather of the Great lakes riders! If your having a chaps moment make sure it's for the right reasons! Lol!

Old 01-15-2013 | 12:28 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Considering it's 10 degrees here in the midwest, 30-40 degrees doesn't seem too bad. Then again, cold is a subjective call. If you aren't used to it or don't have winter riding gear, it can be unbearable.

Old 01-15-2013 | 12:34 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh pleeeeze...want some cheese with your wine?

Old 01-15-2013 | 12:35 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
I am a SOCAL native, born and raised closing in on 57 years. There's a lot NOT to like about this beautiful state, most all of it can be traced to those Poli butts up in Sacramento. There is much to like however with regards to year 'round riding weather and some of the finest scenic rides anywhere. Even my signature says "Year round ridin'". However the past few weeks have kept me off my sickle. I don't mind a little chill in the air but riding in 30-40 degree weather just takes all the fun out of it. I know I'm getting laughed at right now by you mid-westerners who think 38 degress is mild, but for the first time in all my years of ridin' I'm now looking into getting a pair of chaps. I never thought I'd see the day.
Spend a week here in Indiana and you will think 38 degrees is a heat wave....19 degrees this morning.

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:13 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Last night, it was colder in the Napa Valley than it was in Anchorage Alaska.

I've visited other places that are supposed to be "cold", and I walked barefoot across a snow-covered lawn with wet hair to check the coolant in my car (green slush), and it didn't seem cold at all.

It didn't stop me from riding, but it was definitely too cold to walk barefoot. I'd have rather been riding in the Midwest again.

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:18 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When summer avg temps are in the 110 F range, 20 F is cold. Add the wind chill factor and you're getting near ice cube time.

It's called climatised.

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:18 PM
JazzNicholson
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been riding everyday in San Diego during the "freeze" with thermals and warm gloves. Not quite balaclava weather. I have no necessary freeway time, though.

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:20 PM
steamybob
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My heart is breaking for you - minus 10C (14F) here tonight!

Quick Reply: Too Cold to Ride.....In Southern California?