General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xelement Leather - what's the quality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 PM
HarleyGTP
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Hmmmm, this thread was quite eye opening for me! I'll definitely have to try there stuff out

Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunny68
What's the quality of Xelement leather jackets from Leatherup.com? Is it as good as actual Harley branded leather, or at least close? The prices on-line are great, and the reviews seem good.
It all depends what you compare them to. Compared to a brand name gear like Rev'It, Alpine Stars, etc. the quality really sucks, but compared to a t shirt they seem pretty good. If you don't mind lightly stitched seams that will burst open with pavement contact and non abrasion resistant leather that bleeds dye they are fine. You get what you pay for. Until very recently LeatherUp had a Better Business rating of D, now it seems they have lost their BBB accreditation altogether.

http://www.bbb.org/southern-nevada/b...vegas-nv-76768

Last edited by fat_tony; 02-06-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Do you own a jacket from them?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
Do you own a jacket from them?
Of course he doesn't.

Originally Posted by fat_tony
...but compared to a t shirt they seem pretty good. If you don't mind lightly stitched seams that will burst open with pavement contact and non abrasion resistant leather that bleeds dye they are fine. You get what you pay for.
Really?

Last edited by Weevil; 02-06-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

25% of motorcycle jackets fail in a crash according to a recent study which tells me a lot of gear sold is not up to the task.

No I don't own an XElement jacket but I've seen a leather one first hand and it was not well constructed and looked like it would tear apart in an accident. My friend's XElement jacket used cotton stitching which is a no no in a motorcycle jacket and also only a single row of stitching most places. If you look at something like an Alpine Stars, RS Tachi, Dainese or other brand name leather jacket they usually use abrasion resistant Kevlar thread and multiple stitched main seam construction. They also avoid running seams through common strike points and have shoulder and elbow armor plus a pocket for a back protector. Leather in a decent jacket will also usually be 1.3 to 1.5mm thick and will not bleed dye when wet. A lot of better jackets also use a synthetic liner that holds the jacket off the skin and creates an air space between the leather and skin. This makes the jacket cooler in the heat and warmer in the cold and allows perspiration on the skin to dry so you don't feel clammy.

My point is that although $100 is an awesome price for a leather jacket there is an element of you get what you pay for here. It may seem like an awesome jacket if you have never seen a better quality, and perhaps over priced jacket, like a Dainese or RS Tachi, but if you have it will seem like crap.

Last edited by fat_tony; 02-06-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
No I don't own one of their jackets but I've seen first hand the crap they make. My friend's XElement jacket used a single row of stitching, using cotton thread, running down the sleeve which is major strike point when you crash. A quality jacket will use abrasion proof Kevlar thread and be double and sometimes triple stitched to resist tearing in a crash. If you've ever crashed you will know what happens to a jacket and a seam like that will tear open. His jacket also bread dye after getting wet in the rain. It also did not contain armor or have any decent venting.

Considering it only cost $100 for a leather jacket and a decent leather jacket will run about $400 it would be fair to say it had about 1/4 the quality and features of a higher end jacket. Not a total rip off but not a fantastic bargain or quality product either.
I call BS on your story. I call BS on the BBB bureau also. Having owned several business I know how they operate and if your business doesn't agree to submit to their financial extortion they give you a crappy rating. Read the details. They had 51 complaints in 3 years of doing business and the BBB acknowledges that all complaints were responded to. 51 in 3 years? They probably have thousands of online sales a week.

As for your statements about their quality, ridiculous. I work with leather making motorcycle accessories. I have done so for many years. I have an Xelement jacket that I currently wear. It has double and triple stitched seams and it has armor. The thread used looks to be at least 315 Barbour braided poly. There is absolutely no way that the seams on this jacket would "burst open" under any conditions. I have never gone down wearing my jacket but I know people that have, some on this forum. I have one friend that has been down twice with his, once at freeway speeds, and he still wears the jacket. It has some rash on one sleeve and one shoulder but still looks great.

Sounds to me like your talking out your ***. I can post pictures to back up my claims if need be. Can you?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

So based on reviewing the cheapest jacket they sell (apparently), you can now comment on every jacket... gotcha.

I just went and looked at my jacket from leatherup. All seems are double stitched. The leather is "thick" and the jacket is heavy. It has armor. It has two vents on the chest, vents on each arm, and two vents on the back.

Unfortunately, my xray electrofloresces glasses are not working today, so I was unable to determine what type of thread was used.

Just last week I rode in some rain and my white tshirt stayed white. No stains on the other clothes in the closet where I hung it either. Weird.

I don't really believe you have a friend with a leatherup jacket. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying I don't find your review credible.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 PM
cb7263
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have only ONE complaint of my Xelement jacket from Leatherup, the snaps got rusty.
I live in Wa. State, go figure?