General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xelement Leather - what's the quality?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 208 Posts

As the others have said, very pleased with all products. Chaps, jacket, gloves, rain gear, boots. I just bought a pair of boots. I know it is a gamble ordering boots to fit. They fit good and I am pleased with the quality. My jacket is two sizes larger than normal.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_H
I recommend them. I have purchased jackets, boots, rain gear, helmets, chaps, bags, and probably a few other things over the years from them and never been disappointed.

Of course you will get the onslaught of "It ain't good unless you spend $700 on from (insert brand name here)".

Anyway, my dealings with leatherup have all been great. I have xelement boots and chaps. Boots are about 5-6 years old and still great, chaps are older and still great.
Ditto!! I bought one of their higher end jackets and have 2 years and about 25,000 miles on it so far. (this one http://www.leatherup.com/p/Naked-Mot...ket/93296.html) It is very good quality leather with good quality hardware. I am very pleased with it for the price. It is every bit as good as a a $600 jacket from other manufacturers.

I also have a pair of boots from them (these http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...oot/41645.html) that I have put similar time and miles on and they are also great and holding up well.

I've bought chaps for me and my wife and vests from them too. Satisfied with all of them.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 AM
petewerner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 14 year old riding jacket that still passes as maybe a season of wear, never a problem with fit or mechanically such as snaps and zippers or any of the stitching.
I have the same style color and padding, (better in the Xelement in coverage and sewn in, in nearly all places, then in my Harley riding jacket from 3 years ago. Both zip up to some leather pants that I own from Cycle gear purchased 3 years ago, too!!
The Xelement Jacket is still one of my favorite to wear when I ride, period. And I have many to choose from that I have aquired over the years, this one is comfy, and I don't want to give up to a crash without protection, so liner out in hot weather, and back in when it is too cold, add a layer with the liner that has full sleeves and it is much warmer, a very, very good product! And I would wager that it holds up well. to a crash and slide, saving your body while absorbing most, if not all of the abrassive, forces, and helping with the impact forces as well

Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Ditto!! I bought one of their higher end jackets and have 2 years and about 25,000 miles on it so far. (this one http://www.leatherup.com/p/Naked-Mot...ket/93296.html) It is very good quality leather with good quality hardware. I am very pleased with it for the price. It is every bit as good as a a $600 jacket from other manufacturers.
I just tried to buy that in my size and its sold out.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:23 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
I just tried to buy that in my size and its sold out.
The one I have: http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...mor/53282.html (my actual pics posted above) It's a very similar style except mine is buffalo hide. It's also cheaper.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm on my second pair of boots from them. I wear them year round every single day Winter spring summer and fall. When I need a casual dress shoe I just throw a little black polish on them. They are a bargain and last a long time and take a ton of abuse from me. They wear better than the last Harley boots I had.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:07 PM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 507 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbob123
Great looking jackets but do not I fancy god forbid sliding down the road with a jacket ( and jeans ) with a jacket for 150 ? , it's not for me as I would imagine skin grafts being something I would prefer to avoid.

For that price it's impossible for the leather to be up to taking the punishment of an accident , the stitching being done so it won't come apart etc. honestly it's too chep to be able to do what all the top brands do well. I have gloves more expensive than that jacket.

Buy it to wear casually but honestly think about it as protection for motorcycling
I can't help but wonder at comments like these.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:15 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,802 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I have a brown one from Leather up. Love it. Well made, seems like good leather. Buy it a size larger than normal. I have never questioned its durability in case of a slide, and hope I don't have to. Would buy another.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

My present one for toolin' around-

Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbob123
Great looking jackets but do not I fancy god forbid sliding down the road with a jacket ( and jeans ) with a jacket for 150 ? , it's not for me as I would imagine skin grafts being something I would prefer to avoid.

For that price it's impossible for the leather to be up to taking the punishment of an accident , the stitching being done so it won't come apart etc. honestly it's too chep to be able to do what all the top brands do well. I have gloves more expensive than that jacket.

Buy it to wear casually but honestly think about it as protection for motorcycling
Bullshit. I've got a Langlitz,an Xelement,and a Jammin' riding jacket. Any one of them will give me all the protection I need. Xelement's black denim armoured jeans are the longest lasting denim riding pants I've ever owned.Not to mention the most comfortable,with the stretch panels in the thigh and crotch. All their stuff is an exceptional value for the money.

Quick Reply: Xelement Leather - what's the quality?